Author Topic: Changes to AA/BA Partnership  (Read 16984 times)

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to AA/BA Partnership
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 11:43:13 PM »
Anything not involving a BA flight would have no surcharges.
That's what im not sure about? I'm assuming that you cant use your BA miles for Elal, so therefore you will automatically need to stop over somewhere in Europe that AA travels into, that is a partner with AA and BA. Won't that European airline impose a fuel surcharge, since im under the impression that all European airlines do (unlike the US airlines). If so, what will be the cheapest way ($) to get to Israel in economy?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 11:51:48 PM »
The stickies aren't there for my health ya' know  ::)
http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=1592.0
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 12:11:09 AM »
The stickies aren't there for my health ya' know  ::)
http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=1592.0
Great sticky!
 But I haven't seen anyone address my question about getting to Israel with BA miles. Most of the Oneworld European airlines that you listed there have a ??? symbol, so I really can't get any clue to answer my question. It would seem to me that you would need to take AA to some European city and then fly from there with a fuel surcharge, I just don't know yet the cheapest way to do so

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 12:24:16 AM »
But I haven't seen anyone address my question about getting to Israel with BA miles. Most of the Oneworld European airlines that you listed there have a ??? symbol, so I really can't get any clue to answer my question. It would seem to me that you would need to take AA to some European city and then fly from there with a fuel surcharge, I just don't know yet the cheapest way to do so
Step 1: Read the sticky
Step 2: Read the sticky
Step 3: Read the sticky
Repeat as necessary until you realize your questions are not questions.

Eventually it's bound to hit you  ;)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 12:34:42 AM »

Or read this post
Anything not involving a BA flight would have no surcharges.

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 12:56:18 AM »

(Im not sure how to quote only part of your post, I only copied and pasted)

OneWorld:
AA: Does not charge a fuel surcharge for their own or for partner flights except for when flying on select partners.
Note: AA does charge a hefty fuel surcharge for redemption on partner British Airways, however they do not charge it for redemption on their own metal or on any other partners.
British Airways: Charges a fuel surcharge for flying on their own metal.  Does not charge a fuel surcharge for flying on partner airlines.
Cathay Pacific: Always charges a fuel surcharge on award tickets, even on partners that normally don't charge a fuel surcharge.
Finnair:  ???
Iberia:  ???
JAL:  Always charges a fuel surcharge on award tickets, even on partners that normally don't charge a fuel surcharge.
LAN: Never charges a fuel surcharge on their own or partner award tickets.
Malev:  ???
Mexicana:  ???
Qantas: Charges a fuel surcharge for flying on their own metal and for flying on partners that normally collect a fuel surcharge.  Does not charge a fuel surcharge for flying on partners that normally do not collect a fuel surcharge.
Royal Jordanian:

The only 3 European Oneworld airlines that I see is Finnair, Iberia, and Malev, and all have a ??? symbol, so how do I know that they don't have a fuel surcharge, when you yourself didn't know. And even if they all don't have a surcharge, am I correct that the cheapest economy ticket with BA miles, is AA-Finnair, AA-Iberia, or AA-Malev, and if so what's the preferred way?

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 12:59:38 AM »
Or read this post

Are you confirming that Finnair, Iberia, and Malev don't have fuel surcharges?

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 01:37:23 AM »
Are you confirming that Finnair, Iberia, and Malev don't have fuel surcharges?
British Airways: Charges a fuel surcharge for flying on their own metal. Does not charge a fuel surcharge for flying on partner airlines.

Offline SuperFlyer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 12:14:45 PM »
BA is european.

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2010, 02:09:45 PM »
(Im not sure how to quote only part of your post, I only copied and pasted)

OneWorld:
AA: Does not charge a fuel surcharge for their own or for partner flights except for when flying on select partners.
Note: AA does charge a hefty fuel surcharge for redemption on partner British Airways, however they do not charge it for redemption on their own metal or on any other partners.
British Airways: Charges a fuel surcharge for flying on their own metal.  Does not charge a fuel surcharge for flying on partner airlines.
Cathay Pacific: Always charges a fuel surcharge on award tickets, even on partners that normally don't charge a fuel surcharge.
Finnair:  ???
Iberia:  ???
JAL:  Always charges a fuel surcharge on award tickets, even on partners that normally don't charge a fuel surcharge.
LAN: Never charges a fuel surcharge on their own or partner award tickets.
Malev:  ???
Mexicana:  ???
Qantas: Charges a fuel surcharge for flying on their own metal and for flying on partners that normally collect a fuel surcharge.  Does not charge a fuel surcharge for flying on partners that normally do not collect a fuel surcharge.
Royal Jordanian:

The only 3 European Oneworld airlines that I see is Finnair, Iberia, and Malev, and all have a ??? symbol, so how do I know that they don't have a fuel surcharge, when you yourself didn't know. And even if they all don't have a surcharge, am I correct that the cheapest economy ticket with BA miles, is AA-Finnair, AA-Iberia, or AA-Malev, and if so what's the preferred way?

If Coach is OK then then dont forget AB (AirBerlin) fly AA and connect onto them or fly AA and connect onto LY (ElAl). The main problem is AA doesnt serve too many Cities in Europe and unless you dont mind extra connections the likes of Malev & Finnair wont help as you will need to fly IB or BA to get to their hub or have an extra connection which may mean overnighting it in order to fly them to TLV

I looked at AB briefly back in July and cant say I liked what I saw but its nice to know theres another alternative out there in getting to TLV

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
If Coach is OK then then dont forget AB (AirBerlin) fly AA and connect onto them or fly AA and connect onto LY (ElAl). The main problem is AA doesnt serve too many Cities in Europe and unless you dont mind extra connections the likes of Malev & Finnair wont help as you will need to fly IB or BA to get to their hub or have an extra connection which may mean overnighting it in order to fly them to TLV

I looked at AB briefly back in July and cant say I liked what I saw but its nice to know theres another alternative out there in getting to TLV

What do you mean to fly AA and then connect with LY? That would be great, but BA is not a partner with LY, so how can that be done?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2010, 02:36:03 PM »
What do you mean to fly AA and then connect with LY? That would be great, but BA is not a partner with LY, so how can that be done?

sorry I forgot we were talking about using BA miles, but its good for those using AA miles and avoiding BA

For BA I guess it would be fly AA to wherever you can get a decent connection on AB, only since most people are here want to fly FC or Biz that wouldnt be an option as I believe AB is ALL coach to/from TLV. Although AB is supoose to be using an Airbus 330-200 which has a Biz cabin to/from the US

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
I'm wondering if you can fly AA to Spain (MAD), and then fly Iberia to Tlv, thus avoiding all fees? Am I correct?
(Using BA miles)

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2010, 02:47:02 PM »
To take it a bit further, I know that Iberia codeshares with Elal on some flights, so can I redeem the 2nd leg of the trip with Iberia (using BA miles), and somehow end up on an Elal plane?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2010, 03:02:20 PM »
To take it a bit further, I know that Iberia codeshares with Elal on some flights, so can I redeem the 2nd leg of the trip with Iberia (using BA miles), and somehow end up on an Elal plane?

Id say in most every case where the flight is a codeshare you wont beable to fly on it using miles. So AA I believe has a codeshare with LY on its NY-TLV flights with a AA flight# no way can you use non AA miles for that flight by booking the AA flight#

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
I'm wondering if you can fly AA to Spain (MAD), and then fly Iberia to Tlv, thus avoiding all fees? Am I correct?
(Using BA miles)

trust me you dont want to fly IB on their A-320s just like you dont want to fly on AF or AZ from CDG or FCO or MXP either

Id rather fly as far as I can (as close to TLV as I can) on AA and then fly in on whomever I could. You really want to stay as far away from the European Carriers coach or even biz products as  you can on the narrow body planes

Its not only the surcharge for BA LHR-TLV but the very high UK taxes that has me wanting to avoid BA. The best deal plane wise to TLV is *A, however if aperson will be staying a few days in London then its not so bad as they would have paid the taxes anyway, and besides for RJ BA is probably the best way to get to TLV with OW
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 03:08:26 PM by steve2 »

Offline devora

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2010, 10:53:11 AM »
I am on hold trying to book a flight from NYC - EZE using BA miles flying on AA.  (I have this reservation already on hold with AA for 60k miles, 66.50 taxes).  BA agent is claiming that fuel surcharges for this flight are now $386.  This doesn't seem to make sense based on what i've read -- shouldn't BA not be charging for fuel surcharge if I am flying on AA? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2010, 11:02:23 AM »
I am on hold trying to book a flight from NYC - EZE using BA miles flying on AA.  (I have this reservation already on hold with AA for 60k miles, 66.50 taxes).  BA agent is claiming that fuel surcharges for this flight are now $386.  This doesn't seem to make sense based on what i've read -- shouldn't BA not be charging for fuel surcharge if I am flying on AA? Any advice greatly appreciated.
This is the first report I've ever heard of BA charging a fuel surcharge on a partner airline flight.
Try calling another BA agent and see if they also say that there is a fuel surcharge and let us know what happens!

Offline devora

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2010, 11:12:04 AM »
I called back and spoke to another agent who told me that there is the $300 fuel surcharge. I asked to speak with a manager and I have been on hold for the manager for probably close to an hour...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2010, 11:33:02 AM »
I called back and spoke to another agent who told me that there is the $300 fuel surcharge. I asked to speak with a manager and I have been on hold for the manager for probably close to an hour...
Wow, terrible news for BA mileage holders!

Here's some tasks for BA mileage holders.
-Find out if there is a fuel surcharge on domestic AA travel, like CLE-LGA.
-Find out if there is a fuel surcharge on other OneWorld partners.