Author Topic: Changes to AA/BA Partnership  (Read 16988 times)

Offline devora

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to AA/BA Partnership
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2010, 11:34:06 AM »
UPDATE: BA supervisor claims that BA and AA are getting in line with each other so they will have the same fuel surcharges and that if I booked a ticket with BA miles to fly on AA, the system quoted $386 taxes.  Supervisor claimed that the BA phone system is already set up that way and that the website might not have this update yet, so it might be possible to find for no fuel surcharge on BA.com, but the flights I am looking for don't show up on BA.com.  BA rep claims AA will have this soon too; however, AA website and phone reps are still quoting low taxes so I am not sure about that.

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2010, 11:44:44 AM »
UPDATE: BA supervisor claims that BA and AA are getting in line with each other so they will have the same fuel surcharges and that if I booked a ticket with BA miles to fly on AA, the system quoted $386 taxes.  Supervisor claimed that the BA phone system is already set up that way and that the website might not have this update yet, so it might be possible to find for no fuel surcharge on BA.com, but the flights I am looking for don't show up on BA.com.  BA rep claims AA will have this soon too; however, AA website and phone reps are still quoting low taxes so I am not sure about that.
I hope that I'm misunderstanding! :o
The flight you are looking for is on AA metal.
BA (as far as reported) don't charge a fuel surcharge on partners (AA).
AA after the merger starts charging a fuel surcharge on all BA flights.
Now "BA and AA getting into line" means, BA is going to charge a fuel surcharge on all AA flights? AA is going to start charging on own metal? :o
This merge is going from bad to worse...!!!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2010, 11:45:11 AM »
AA already does charge a fuel surcharge for BA flights.  AA only allows BA bookings over the phone.

Which AA flight and date can you not see on BA.com?  Did you click to include partners?

Either way if this turns out to be true, BA miles just got majorly downgraded now that you must pay $$$ when flying AA or BA.  I do wonder if BA now collects a fuel surcharge on other partners as well.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2010, 11:48:11 AM »
I hope that I'm misunderstanding! :o
The flight you are looking for is on AA metal.
BA (as far as reported) don't charge a fuel surcharge on partners (AA).
AA after the merger starts charging a fuel surcharge on all BA flights.
Now "BA and AA getting into line" means, BA is going to charge a fuel surcharge on all AA flights? AA is going to start charging on own metal? :o
This merge is going from bad to worse...!!!
AA won't charge for travel on their own metal.  AA now charges for BA metal though.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline devora

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2010, 11:48:27 AM »
AA.com shows available for rewards: Dec. 2 LGA - DFW - EZW and return Dec 19 EZE - MIA - JFK (or LGA).  I have placed a hold on this for 60k and $66.50 taxes.

If I put in these dates to BA.com (yes, I include partners) no availability shows up.  If I call BA, they can see these flights on AA are available but they will charge me $386 for fuel surchage/taxes per flight.

Offline devora

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2010, 11:49:52 AM »
The BA supervisor said this applies to Iberia as well.
The way she said it, it seemed that AA would soon be charging fuel surcharge as well on its own metal. Not sure if she is right.

Offline aussiebochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2010, 11:53:06 AM »
The BA supervisor said this applies to Iberia as well.
The way she said it, it seemed that AA would soon be charging fuel surcharge as well on its own metal. Not sure if she is right.
That's what I thought you said, and I was hoping I misunderstood...
Now hoping BA supervisors don't know what they're talking about...

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2010, 12:00:03 PM »
That's what I thought you said, and I was hoping I misunderstood...

They dont, its alright.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2010, 12:02:02 PM »
I'm not even remotely worried about that possibility.

Ba.com shows availability for MIA-EZE on AA from 12/01 to 12/08.  You should be able to tell from that if they charge a fuel surcharge online yet.

Offline devora

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2010, 12:09:07 PM »
ba.com does not yet seem to be applying the fuel surcharge (unfortunately, I don't want 12/1 - 12/8...but maybe i need to rethink so I can also get rid of my BA miles before their computer system changes...

Offline devora

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2010, 12:47:41 PM »
I don't know if anyone can help me with the following question: I was ready to book my flight with the BA agent but then stopped short when they told me the fuel surcharge fee. when I log onto BA.com now, I see the booking...no miles seem to be removed from my account and I never gave a credit card for taxes. I was under the impression that BA doesn't "hold reservations".  Does anyone know what the status of this is? I don't want to call BA yet in case someone here can help me out. I was thinking I could transform this into an online reservation and not pay the fuel surcharge, but I can't see how to do that?

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2010, 02:45:04 PM »
ba.com does not yet seem to be applying the fuel surcharge (unfortunately, I don't want 12/1 - 12/8...but maybe i need to rethink so I can also get rid of my BA miles before their computer system changes...
How about booking for the wrong dates online (with no surcharge) and then calling up and changing the dates to the flight that's available only over the phone? If they try charging you fuel surcharge, fight it tooth and nail...
-Eli

Offline devora

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2010, 03:03:14 PM »
The supervisor told me that she had just gotten off the phone with a customer who had booked a ticket online and then called up to make a change and she had to charge them the greater fuel surcharge for the change they did over the phone system.  So I don't think that will work...
Does anyone have any thoughts as to the status of my "reservation" that I see when I log on to BA.com?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2010, 07:12:49 PM »
How about booking for the wrong dates online (with no surcharge) and then calling up and changing the dates to the flight that's available only over the phone? If they try charging you fuel surcharge, fight it tooth and nail...
I agree that this would be the best way to go.
You should be able to argue that if you paid no fuel surcharge when you booked that you shouldn't have to pay one to make a change.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2010, 01:16:23 AM »
With AA (who made some agreements with BA), it doesn't work. They are crazy tough.

Even guys ticketed end of september (ba tix), and for some technical at AA, it was only done in October, had their booking put on "pending" where they need to call up with their cc, and pay the difference.

To admin/mods: where did my message about the $700 increase in tax go to? (Am I hallucinating again).
To the people who remember it: it was written in a big red font.

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2010, 05:11:44 AM »
I remember it

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2010, 05:49:09 AM »
I remember it

Thank you.

Anyone else?

This has happened a few times, and Im being told: We find nothing in the deleted post log...

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2010, 01:12:23 AM »
I'm no expert here, but mark my words here:
Believe me that United, Continental,US and Delta are watching. If American gets away with the surcharge on BA, and BA charges on AA, it wont be long before the other U.S. based airlines.........

Offline moshegold

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2010, 09:27:28 AM »
In other bad news:
I always used to book El Al Business class tickets with AA miles on a round trip from LHR-TLV the taxes used to be $40-$50, now I called up to book & they told me that since Oct. 1 the whole taxes thing changed & now taxes cost $269
I'm starting to thing that the rate its going AA miles is just gonna become worthless

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2010, 09:49:13 AM »
In other bad news:
I always used to book El Al Business class tickets with AA miles on a round trip from LHR-TLV the taxes used to be $40-$50, now I called up to book & they told me that since Oct. 1 the whole taxes thing changed & now taxes cost $269
I'm starting to thing that the rate its going AA miles is just gonna become worthless
Those are not fuel surcharges, those are valid taxes that any airline will charge you departing from LHR.  The UK Duty has been known to lapse and then come back even higher...

Tax breakdown, LHR-TLV in J:
United Kingdom Air Passengers Duty (GB)     $190.50
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB)    $36.50
Israeli Security Charge (AP)    $16.00
Israeli Departure Tax (IL)    $22.99