Author Topic: Best way to use a combination of miles and cash to visit the states from Israel?  (Read 1140 times)

Offline shalom4343

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Hi I am a very rare flier. I have about 214,000 miles on United, and for the first time in 5 years after moving to Israel and having 2 kids we are trying to plan a budget trip to America to visit the grandparents etc. I am just wondering if anyone knows the best method of getting there using miles and cash. Is it best to just book a direct flight to San Diego (where my parents live) from Tel Aviv? Or perhaps more cost effective to use cash and/or miles to a intermediate destination like Europe or the East Coast/NYC and then a second flight from there. Using the Super Saver awards I could only afford 2 round trip tickets direct (we need 4), But I'm just wondering if someone can recommend a better way. Maybe booking 1 way only flights or something. I just don't fly enough to know how to use my miles most effectively.

Offline shalom4343

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
And the kids are 2 boys aged 2-3, actually both will be 3 by the time we are planning the trip (too big to sit on laps)

Offline ruv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Dates?

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Hi I am a very rare flier. I have about 214,000 miles on United, and for the first time in 5 years after moving to Israel and having 2 kids we are trying to plan a budget trip to America to visit the grandparents etc. I am just wondering if anyone knows the best method of getting there using miles and cash. Is it best to just book a direct flight to San Diego (where my parents live) from Tel Aviv? Or perhaps more cost effective to use cash and/or miles to a intermediate destination like Europe or the East Coast/NYC and then a second flight from there. Using the Super Saver awards I could only afford 2 round trip tickets direct (we need 4), But I'm just wondering if someone can recommend a better way. Maybe booking 1 way only flights or something. I just don't fly enough to know how to use my miles most effectively.
You can't fly direct to San Diego, but you can fly direct to sfo on united, or lax on elal.
Dates would help us help you

Offline a good yeshiva bachur

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
do you have any other miles/credit cards besides for United?