Topic Wiki

List of TR's:

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36636.msg2582806#msg2582806

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=133380.0

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:

Graceway Gourmet has many kosher products with recognizable hechsherim. Super expensive

Synagogue:

https://www.jewishtci.com/

Things to Do:

Clear kayaking tour in the Mangroves
contact Jill +1 649-231-3122 (you can watsap)

Stand up paddle boarding or kayaking in the mangroves - SUP Provo
(you get a way better view with the SUP).

Scuba diving

Half Day Snorkeling Trip (Turks and Caicos Barrier Reef)
Caicos Dream Tours

Snorkeling at the Bight

Horseback rides on the beach

Hotels:

Grace Bay

The Ritz

The Venetian

Alexandra Resort

The Palms

Seven Stars

Beaches

Club Med

Getting Around:in style....

Notes:

Please Update the Wiki

Author Topic: Turks and Caicos Master Thread  (Read 39810 times)

Offline Cholentfresser

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Turks and Caicos Master Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2021, 01:58:43 PM »
Thanks have u been there before ?
A few months ago
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline abed

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2021, 10:49:56 AM »
Hi does anyone know what the situation with drinking water is in Turks and Caicos?

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2021, 11:22:28 AM »
Hi does anyone know what the situation with drinking water is in Turks and Caicos?
When I was there we only used bottled water for drinking.

Offline abed

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2021, 02:44:46 PM »
When I was there we only used bottled water for drinking.
Did you bring from the states or they have there that you can buy?

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2021, 07:54:00 PM »
Did you bring from the states or they have there that you can buy?
Buy there. All the stores have bottled water.

Offline davidmal

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2021, 04:34:43 PM »
anybody able to update the wiki?
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline mgoldhammer18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2021, 11:09:32 AM »
anybody able to update the wiki?

I could soon. Have plenty of thoughts on things to do

Offline davidmal

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2021, 02:41:42 PM »
I could soon. Have plenty of thoughts on things to do
ok great
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline dannyh2001

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2021, 08:14:13 AM »
Hi - Anyone been recently and dealt with medical insurance requirements? Does Amex platinum travel medical insurance suffice?

Offline rivkyw

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2021, 12:17:33 PM »
We bought travel and medical insurance from travel ex. It was a requirement in the summer

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2022, 02:12:01 PM »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2022, 09:42:05 PM »
Update 25 April 2022: Changes are being made to entry requirements, effective 1 May 2022:

A negative COVID-19 test and insurance will no longer be required.

Travel authorization via the TCI Assured portal will no longer be required.

Face masks will no longer be required.

All visitors aged 18 and over must still be fully-vaccinated to enter the Turks and Caicos.

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2022, 09:00:17 PM »
I don’t usually leave Trip Reviews, however I felt compelled to leave one as A. There is not a lot of information in this thread and B. I have so much to say!

I went together with DW and flew United from EWR (3.5-hour flight, need to pay for luggage even though it is International). As noted up thread, lodging on Grace Bay is generally expensive here ($850 + a night). The currency is USD (even though it is officially part of the UK), and almost everyone speaks English. We decided to stay at the Venetian resort because I wanted to stay on Grace Bay (deemed the nicest beach in the world by Trip Advisor and others), and I wanted a room with an ocean view. Almost any other rooms at the hotels or resorts that fit those criteria were starting at over 1k a night, and I was able to get the Venetian for around 750 a night (staying for 3 nights). The Venetian is not part of a larger chain, and so I used Chase UR points to book. The two cons of the Venetian ended up being two massive pros for us, and I cannot recommend it enough.

A.   It is farther down Grace Bay than most of the other hotels are, and is therefore further away from all the action. This ended up being a huge plus for us as the beach was super quite, with only a handful of other people at the beach at any point while we were there (the Venetian only has 24 units, and the neighboring resorts were fairly small as well).
B.   The Venetian is not all inclusive, and does not have any food on premises. Instead, every room has a full sized kitchen fully equipped with a full sized fridge, freezer (with ice maker), (electric) stove, oven, microwave, coffee maker, glasses and much more. Room service fully restocked the coffee, sweeteners and creamers daily (all with a hechsher).

So instead of paying a premium for “all inclusive” accommodations with food you can’t eat, at the Venetian you get a fully equipped kitchen at a discount.  Every unit comes with a washer, dryer, dining room (table chairs), living room (massive L couch) and a screened in porch with ocean view off of both the living room and Master BR, fully furnished with table, chairs and other porch furniture. The actual accommodations are luxurious, comfortable and spacious.

Day 1

We got thru security and customs pretty quickly, and although cabs are pretty expensive here (no Uber charge PP) we decided to just take cabs as we would not be doing much driving (and the cars drive on the other side of the road. Also the venetian offers bikes which we could use to drive into town (there are sidewalks connecting the venetian and the rest of the hotels). While you can get a ton of kosher food in the super market here (Graceway is the main one), it is all at least double the price of the US and figured we might as well bring in everything ourselves, besides eggs and veggies. After getting to the resort (costed $20 a person), we settled in (we were blown away by the views), and biked to the supermarket. After a quick and enjoyable ride, we were back on went down to the beach. Grace Bay is truly exquisite and beautiful, with the turquoise water and all. The water is super clear so bring goggles. On our first day I spotted a few schools of small fish, and DW even spotted a ray. We also had fun collecting Conch shells off the ocean floor, which are cool iconic souvenirs. As always pictures will do far from justice. Grace Bay is West facing, so the sunsets are definitely a highlight.

Day 2

The next day we headed down to the beach before heading out for a Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) tour of the mangroves. We booked through SUP Provo, and costed $125 pp. We had to take a taxi to get there, however it was only a few minutes away ($12 each way for both). The mangroves were really cool, and we got see plenty of baby lemon sharks, turtles, barracudas, conch and even some jelly fish. Your experience can definitely vary based on the weather and tide. We were fortunate to go on a calm day, however the SUPs can be more challenging in windier conditions. The mangroves are pretty shallow for the most part, so falling off is not a big deal just go on your knees by the occasional deeper parts if you are nervous. The water is super clear so you can see everything.

Day 3

On day 3, the weather acted up a bit as we got a little rain and some thunderstorms. We still need Covid tests within 24 hours of our flight in order to fly back into the US, and the Hotel had someone come once a day in the morning to give the tests (cost $50 pp.) Went super quick and got our results about an hour later sent to my email.

We had a snorkeling tour of the Turks and Caicos Barrier Reef booked for the afternoon, and it was still raining and thundering, however the tour went on as scheduled. There are a couple of boat tours that take you out to the reef, as well as stop off at iguana Island and the boats have a couple pick up points along the bay, so if you are staying at Grace Bay there is no need to travel to it. Costs for the tours are also in the $125-$150 range. The boats offer unlimited drinks, including beer and rum punch, so in terms of experience YMMV depending on the crowd (40 – 50 people per a boat). The snorkeling itself was without exaggeration one of the coolest things I have ever experienced. The boat took us to the reef which is a solid ride from shore, and supplied all the snorkel gear and floatation tube. I put my head underwater and was instantly transported to another world. It was literally like finding nemo coming to life, just way cooler. Schools of colorful fish of all shapes and sizes swimming around the endless coral was absolutely breathtaking. I was totally caught off guard by how beautiful it all was. There were a bunch of other tour boats (larger public and smaller private) along the reef as well. We had a guide that we followed as we swam around, however at certain point we broke off and explored ourselves. Keep in mind you are in middle of the ocean with pretty turbulent waves pushing us around. And then I got the shock of my lifetime when DW calls out “Look! Shark” and I looked down and saw a full sized 6 foot shark less than 20 feet away. Most of the people were back on the boat (they let us swim around for an hour), but for those of us still in the water it took the experience to another level. Again, depending on weather, season and fortune, YMMV.

Day 4

Our last day on the island, we had a 1:30 flight, so we had the front desk order us a taxi for 11:15. They said we could technically stay as late as we wanted which was super nice (and par for the course with our entire stay.) While Providenciales itself is essentially a third world country, we were basically shielded from seeing any of that aside from the airport, which is bursting due to the rapidly increasing number of tourists, and is the poorest looking airport I have seen. We got to the airport at around 11:30, and got thru security around 30 minutes before boarding which was fine. I wouldn’t recommend getting there any earlier, and getting delayed would not be fun. Thankfully we took off on time.

All in all was an incredible trip!!

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2022, 11:01:39 PM »
Thanks for writing that up! It sounds incredible but seeing a 6 foot shark 20 feet away would be a little too close for comfort  :)

Offline 1avigrun

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2022, 11:05:07 PM »
Any pics

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2022, 11:26:32 PM »

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2022, 11:29:03 PM »
Thanks for writing that up! It sounds incredible but seeing a 6 foot shark 20 feet away would be a little too close for comfort  :)

first reaction was "oh cool!!! Shark!!" and then a second later I was like "Shark?!?!?!?". Sharks are only dangerous on rare occasions, and there is something surreal about seeing one live.

Offline Dave321

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2022, 10:03:37 PM »
Address of chabad? Can't find it anywhere

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2022, 10:05:31 PM »
Address of chabad? Can't find it anywhere
Might be intentionally unpublished. Message the number on their website.