Author Topic: Outstanding Balance in Switzerland. Should i pay?  (Read 9037 times)

Offline jack12

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum
Re: Outstanding Balance in Switzerland. Should i pay?
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 09:39:10 AM »
Erm...twice   :P
Once in J'lem for 250 and once is Tiverya for 100.
Wouldn't Avis just charge my credit card and then some if I didn't?

He probably wasn't talking about a rental

Offline chuchem

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 09:44:36 AM »
Avis tells the police ur name, the police cant charge chutzniks in Israel so the throw it out. Avis charges you 15 Dollars for forwarding the police your info. So if you have a 100 shekel fine is much cheaper not to pay and let avis make the money

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 09:47:19 AM »
Avis tells the police ur name, the police cant charge chutzniks in Israel so the throw it out. Avis charges you 15 Dollars for forwarding the police your info. So if you have a 100 shekel fine is much cheaper not to pay and let avis make the money
Interesting, I would've assumed it's like the US where the rental company just bills you for the ticket and then bills a big admin fee as well.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 10:39:54 AM »
No, in the US, if the police cant fine the driver then the carowner is responsible. In most other countries its the driver, so the rental says, we are a rental place, the driver was Mister X.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 10:46:47 AM »
No, in the US, if the police cant fine the driver then the carowner is responsible. In most other countries its the driver, so the rental says, we are a rental place, the driver was Mister X.
So do you ever pay a traffic ticket outside the US and Switzerland?
What would happen if an Israeli cop pulled you over and sees a number of outstanding fines?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 11:36:17 AM »
In the european union, all countries are linked, so if you dont pay you will have problems.
The onlz country that does not have an agreement in europe is France and Switzerland. So in France I get flashed all the time and they cant bill, since they dont even have access to the computer to look up, who owns the plate. All other countries wills send me a bill home and then if I dont pay, I can have problems if I visit the EU, so not worth it.

No, they dont keep the fines in Israel, if they see its a chuznik, it gets burned, so you have nothing to worry about. Unfortunatly Israel has bigger problems to worry, then catching a chuznik, that owes 100 shekels

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 11:37:50 AM »
By the way in France if you drive upto 179 km its only a 90 Euro fine, thats nothing for going 110 miles a hour. Thats y, I always drive 178. If I get flashed nothing happens, if a police car stops me, I will have to pay on the spot (happened once)

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 11:52:39 AM »
In the EC, the rental companies, pay everything. So if you get a fine better pay it.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2010, 12:09:15 PM »

I take it you are referring to actually getting a tkt for a moving violation, rather then either a parking tkt or for using kevesh6, as in parking and k6 its the car that is important and not who was driving it.

Have you gotten parking tkst where all that the car company charged youw as for their handling fee and never for the actual fine of the tkt itself?

that said every time Ive been pulled over in Israel (even when I had a private car with Sweedish plates) just giving them my US drivers license they simply told me this isnt California and not to do it again, never got an actual tkt

does being Flashed me you were caught by a camera rather then pulled over by a cop?

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2010, 12:57:36 PM »

True that! If they ever caught on, they'd probably be able to seize everything i own + my family and I'd still owe them money. Parking in Yerushalayim is worse than any other city I've ever been, and its only getting worse

Offline abe1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2010, 01:40:54 PM »
i got a speeding ticket (flash) in switzerland a few years ago & the car rental gave them my name & US address & they keep on maling me the fine + interest
I heard of a couple of people that got stopped by passport control when entering switzerland & they made them pay the fines

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2010, 01:57:37 PM »
abe1, I just want to warn you, you will get stopped next time you enter Switzerland. It will cost you alot of money and if you dont have cash, they will lock you up until someone pays for you. Bring enough cash if you want to come to Switzerland again!
-----
steve
Route 6, u r right its the car that matters. Avis will charge you for it plus a small handling fee
Parking tickets you are wrong. Avis charges 15 Dollars, no matter if its a 100 or 250 shekel ticket. Yes, I had tons. In Israel its very hard to get a ticket for a moving violation, as if a police officer stops you he does not bother, since he knows you will not pay and there are almost no cameras around.

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2010, 03:52:42 AM »
Well I think you should call them and try to settle. They can stop you at the airport within the next five years, after 5 years its gone.
I dont know exactly what happened, but if you owe them money its gneiva not to pay, even if you can get away with it. Even if they dont deserve it, but you signed a contract.
Damaxer, that was a really good excuse. Steal from a cell phone company, because a bank from the same country stole 50 years ago. Come on...

Can you please give me a reference for this 5 year policy. Thanx

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2010, 04:19:00 AM »
Dont have a refrence, but thats what I was told.

Offline abe1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2010, 09:31:04 AM »
abe1, I just want to warn you, you will get stopped next time you enter Switzerland. It will cost you alot of money and if you dont have cash, they will lock you up until someone pays for you. Bring enough cash if you want to come to Switzerland again!

Even if they have my name misspeleld (e.g. spie"N"man istead of spie"L"man ) ?
When i rented the car they made a spelling mistake with my last name & the speeding tickets keep coming with my wrong name, or maybe the car rental company gave them my passport # ??

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2010, 09:46:37 AM »
Even if they have my name misspeleld (e.g. spie"N"man istead of spie"L"man ) ?
When i rented the car they made a spelling mistake with my last name & the speeding tickets keep coming with my wrong name, or maybe the car rental company gave them my passport # ??

once you have another passport you are clean.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2010, 10:06:27 AM »
No, they save it under name and date of birth. A new passport will not help

Offline abe1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2010, 11:16:11 AM »
but they have my name misspelled

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2010, 12:00:13 AM »
hocker - from my experience you should be fine. maybe with tickets where the gov is involved they might catch you but to a private phone company no.

i owe a bank in the uk 500+ pounds (all fees - didnt STEAL anything for all those of you who are too frum for G d), have an open cell plan thats unpaid (and overdrew my bank acct.), and a friend of mine w/ an english passport stopped paying his cell phone & apt lease there one day - neither of us have had any probs in or out or anything.
for a while i had a warrant issued for my arrest in ca for an unpaid stop sign ticket :P and i flew in and out of the us and ca etc... (bh everything worked out for $200 on that one)
more stories also.
maybe when it comes to gov its different but i wouldnt be scared with banks etc at all. if you lose sleep over that banks feelings then theres a clinical study going on in ny for insomnia, they'll compensate you and then you can pay back the swiss.

i've heard that amongst certain groups of hareidim that like to scam and dont like israel its common to max out cc's while visiting...

we dont have debtors prisons. in america people default on a lot more than their phone bills
take it easy. imho

i've been away but it seems this forum could use a smoking lounge with all the action going on. or panel of rabanim

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2010, 04:51:59 AM »
Mancunian, you sound like having been hatched on the Moss Side, or at least Cheetham Hill...

Reminds me of rainy days...

;D