Author Topic: NYC-TLV with stopover in Italy  (Read 4681 times)

Offline kivabb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
NYC-TLV with stopover in Italy
« on: October 04, 2010, 02:28:47 PM »
What are my best options? I have mileage on American and Continental. I would hope to go business class.

Thanks

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: NYC-TLV with stopover in Italy
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 02:39:40 PM »
 not good at all CO is no longer with ST so there wont be a non-stop Italy to TLV but youd have to fly from a European *A hub, which may or maybe not allowed depending on the routing you are doing to & from TLV.

AA you should beable to fly LY but dont know if they will allow a Biz award seat for that

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 02:48:24 PM »
AA you should beable to fly LY but dont know if they will allow a Biz award seat for that

You mean only 2 classes? So I would do AA to Italy and then LY to TLV?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 02:51:20 PM »
I don't see why this can't be done with CO.
EWR-MXP-FRA-TLV-EWR should be fine for example.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 02:52:56 PM »
You mean only 2 classes? So I would do AA to Italy and then LY to TLV?

I meant Im not sure if AA can book a LY biz seat for say a FCO-TLV flight, (I just never tried doing something like that so I dont know if it can be done)

but I was offered a few times when I called in to AA an AA flight to Europe and LY onto TLV and told it was in coach, which can mean thats all that was available or thats all they can book. But the LY flight even if in Biz wont be anything to go gaga over, although it should be a bit more comfortable then coach
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 02:59:40 PM by steve2 »

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 02:59:08 PM »

as I said depending on how a person wants to route it = if they were hoping to do a stopover somewhere on the way back and not in the Hub city. = if all they wanted to do was a stop in Italy on the way there or back it should be doable.

Friends kids who just went for succos wanted to do a stopover going and returning and werent able to, although they could have done other things to have accomplished it but at a small cost, and neither was to be in the hub city

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 03:16:49 PM »
as I said depending on how a person wants to route it = if they were hoping to do a stopover somewhere on the way back and not in the Hub city. = if all they wanted to do was a stop in Italy on the way there or back it should be doable.

Friends kids who just went for succos wanted to do a stopover going and returning and werent able to, although they could have done other things to have accomplished it but at a small cost, and neither was to be in the hub city
CO will book stopover not in hubs, it just takes the right rep.
I just booked EWR-HNL-LIH- (open jaw) -OGG-LAX-LAS (stopover)-EWR using CO miles.
Bizarrely 2 agents had a problem booking a UA flight from OGG-LAX so I booked the CO flight.  After it was ticketed I successfully switched it to the UA flight.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
I meant Im not sure if AA can book a LY biz seat for say a FCO-TLV flight, (I just never tried doing something like that so I dont know if it can be done)

but I was offered a few times when I called in to AA an AA flight to Europe and LY onto TLV and told it was in coach, which can mean thats all that was available or thats all they can book. But the LY flight even if in Biz wont be anything to go gaga over, although it should be a bit more comfortable then coach
AA can book any LY flight in any class AFAIK.

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 03:23:40 PM »
AA can book any LY flight in any class AFAIK.
Even in First?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 03:31:20 PM »
CO will book stopover not in hubs, it just takes the right rep.
I just booked EWR-HNL-LIH- (open jaw) -OGG-LAX-LAS (stopover)-EWR using CO miles.
Bizarrely 2 agents had a problem booking a UA flight from OGG-LAX so I booked the CO flight.  After it was ticketed I successfully switched it to the UA flight.

you arent backtracking OGG-LAX-LAS-EWR is a straight shot while EWR-MXP-FRA-TLV-VIE-PRG-ZRH-EWR isnt (thats where MXP & PRG are the stops and TLV is the destination)

now I know DL used to allow stopovers on free Domestic tkts but only at their Hubs, didnt know CO allowed it anywhere, not that I cash in for Domestic tkts that often.

As for Hawaii not worth it to me to use miles when so many EQMs are at stake. My HNL flight on Sun returning Weds will earn me 10,400 EQMs , used 2 CR1s on UA and was UPed on 4 of my 5 flights the last 1 IAD-JFK is a CRJ200 only Y. So for $162 out of pocket (used a $600 CS cert) Im flying Biz and FC to/from HNL and earning 10,500 EQMs and 21000 RDMs, who say it doesnt pay to buy tkts

And the Biz seats on the UA 757p.s. flights are plenty good, although CO has better IFE and food

but back to BA & AA

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 03:44:37 PM »

I can do all that for 115K in business?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 03:52:40 PM »
You should be able to.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 03:54:03 PM »

you should be able to if its available, but you will have to call CO to arrange it same with AA but AA will ding you for a fee since you didnt book it online by yourself even thou its Not possible to book it online by yourself  AA in Biz is 130k the last I remember

just keep in mind CO doesnt fly the 777 to Italy so no bed flat seats but rather the old cradle type and the IFE (InFlightEntertainment) is lacking as well

Offline Mikeoracle

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 06:42:28 PM »
Sure,
I helped a "certain someone" here book EWR-LIS-ZRH-TLV-ATH-EWR for 115K with a day stop in ZRH and a 2 day stop in ATH (additional stop in EDI (Scotland) was nixed in the planing stages)

Offline moshegold

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 08:40:46 PM »
LY does not allow AA to book award seats in First, only Coach & Business (even on their 3 class aircraft).
by the way, LY has some very nice routes from Europe to TLV on a 767, I just flew FRA-TLV on a 767 and the Business class was beautiful, it was like a TATL business seat

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 09:08:43 PM »
LY does not allow AA to book award seats in First, only Coach & Business (even on their 3 class aircraft).
by the way, LY has some very nice routes from Europe to TLV on a 767, I just flew FRA-TLV on a 767 and the Business class was beautiful, it was like a TATL business seat
Good to know!

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 09:18:07 PM »
Sure,
I helped a "certain someone" here book EWR-LIS-ZRH-TLV-ATH-EWR for 115K with a day stop in ZRH and a 2 day stop in ATH (additional stop in EDI (Scotland) was nixed in the planing stages)

was the  stop in ZRH 24 or more hrs? or under 24 hrs which then wouldnt qualify as a Stop so then all they really had was a 2 day stopover in ATH on the way back

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 09:21:09 PM »

most of LYs flights to/from Europe are on its 737 or 757s but if its possible to score a widebody I agree with you its a very decent Biz cabin, I think LY uses its widebodys if they are being used are to LHR,CDG,FRA

sort of like scoring a 767 or 777 on CO between IAH & EWR which can be had at times

Offline Mikeoracle

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 10:26:24 PM »
was the  stop in ZRH 24 or more hrs? or under 24 hrs which then wouldnt qualify as a Stop so then all they really had was a 2 day stopover in ATH on the way back
Sorry i forgot to clarify when I wrote a day stop in ZRH it was for about 12hrs which is obviously not considered a "stop" as far as routing rules apply.