Author Topic: SW companion pass on shared itinerary booked through airtran  (Read 725 times)

Offline Orgodox

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
SW companion pass on shared itinerary booked through airtran
« on: December 30, 2013, 09:55:23 PM »
Does anyone know of a way to use SW companion pass on a flight which is a shared itinerary (1st leg is SW, 2nd leg airtran) booked with a+ rewards.

Dan touched on this topic in a post #4 here (http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/29349) but said the language was vague and wasn't sure if it would work. Well, I booked the first flight with one of my 8 airtran vouchers we got for being bumped on thanksgiving (converted 1 to 16 a+ rewards) and called SW to add the companion. I explained that since one leg is SW flight it is considered a shared itinerary and according to their website  Q & A I should be able to book it.

"Q: Will I be able to use my Rapid Rewards Companion Pass or A+ Rewards Companion Pass for Companion travel on shared itineraries?
A: Yes. Companion Pass travel is permitted on shared itineraries.”

Q: What do you mean by “shared itinerary”?
A: We refer to “shared itinerary” when discussing any single itinerary that is comprised of both a Southwest flight segment and an AirTran flight segment. We also use that term for an AirTran-only itinerary that has been booked through a Southwest Airlines booking channel.

The lady agreed with me but she was unable to add the companion since the confirmation I gave her was an airtran booking she had no access to the tickets! Before everyone goes nuts and says just book through SW I can't simply book this through SW bc 1)  the points for this ticket are extremely expensive (no wana get away fares) 2) Standard award isn't available either.

Any ideas on how to book this flight and add a companion?? Seems like a ridiculous catch in their merger of the two reward programs!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:58:48 PM by Orgodox »

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: SW companion pass on shared itinerary booked through airtran
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 09:58:06 PM »
i believe only way to do it is if its a SW booking. And you are saying it was available with A+ rewards but not with standard awards on southwest

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 09:58:58 PM »
HUCA and ask to speak to a supervisor
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Orgodox

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 10:02:33 PM »
myb821-- Correct it is not available through stander award. They seem to have a very limited availability making my vouchers much less valuable than I initially thought.

Ergel-- I definitely will continue to try but I don't know if anyone at SW can access my itinerary with that confirmation number. Airtran and SW use different confirmation #s and apparently don't have access to each others systems. I was thinking maybe there was a place like airport where this might be doable where they have access to both systems?