Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1182620 times)

Offline Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #1500 on: November 02, 2018, 10:12:23 AM »
I died at "BOZO HEAD raging idiot" aka, the go F yourself of the yeshivish community. Clearly dripping with rage with that all caps. My god that was funny!

If you're offended by that, sorry but throw me a bone, I am an outsider myself at times in these parts being modern orthodox and deserve that laugh

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: November 02, 2018, 10:12:36 AM »
Like that changes anything? Basically, you're saying that someone who is known on the forums should feel comfortable sending hateful messages via PM because at least the person they're sending it to doesn't know who they are, so in that way they can remain anonymous.
Maybe you've had that conversation, but that doesn't make the matter settled. In fact, that position is exceedingly silly. I'm under no obligation to keep your messages private, just because you sent it to me only. To put it more clearly, the fact that one member messages the other out of the blue does not create any sort of obligation of privacy. There's an expectation of privacy in most reasonable matters, but I would say this is clearly not a reasonable matter.

Let's just take this to the extreme. If someone tries to extort me through PM, should I respect their privacy? If they send me links to filth, should I respect their privacy? If they're trying to scam - or even just spam - me, should I respect their privacy?

I'll give you a simple rule for PM's. If you're sending a PM to someone that's adversarial in nature, don't expect it to stay private. Why should they feel an obligation to your privacy while you call them a "BOZO HEAD raging idiot”?
Get off your high horse and pick something useful to be such a kanai about.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #1502 on: November 02, 2018, 10:14:08 AM »
I died at "BOZO HEAD raging idiot" aka, the go F yourself of the yeshivish community. Clearly dripping with rage with that all caps. My god that was funny!

If you're offended by that, sorry but throw me a bone, I am an outsider myself at times in these parts being modern orthodox and deserve that laugh
Uh ok.
Bozo head. Tbh I've never seen that used aside from when used for comedic effect.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #1503 on: November 02, 2018, 10:38:03 AM »
Some on here are willing to protect a con-artist, or more likely someone who did shady stuff knowing the risk and fell through it as should be expected, because they know the guy and belong to their yeshivish crowd.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: November 02, 2018, 10:40:15 AM »
Some on here are willing to protect a con-artist, or more likely someone who did shady stuff knowing the risk and fell through it as should be expected, because they know the guy and belong to their yeshivish crowd.
Nobody here is protecting anybody. If the guy doesn't feel comfortable posting the name because he hasn't completely verified the story, then it would be halachically prohibited to post it.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: November 02, 2018, 11:06:38 AM »
Ah. So you wanna call out cmey for posting an unsolicited nasty PM, and I'm on a high horse. Got it.

Offline regular

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: November 02, 2018, 01:05:55 PM »
You do realize how immature you sound right?

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: November 02, 2018, 01:08:09 PM »
You do realize how immature you sound right?
Yea, of course, that's my MO, didn't you know?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: November 02, 2018, 01:27:52 PM »
Like that changes anything? Basically, you're saying that someone who is known on the forums should feel comfortable sending hateful messages via PM because at least the person they're sending it to doesn't know who they are, so in that way they can remain anonymous.
Maybe you've had that conversation, but that doesn't make the matter settled. In fact, that position is exceedingly silly. I'm under no obligation to keep your messages private, just because you sent it to me only. To put it more clearly, the fact that one member messages the other out of the blue does not create any sort of obligation of privacy. There's an expectation of privacy in most reasonable matters, but I would say this is clearly not a reasonable matter.

Let's just take this to the extreme. If someone tries to extort me through PM, should I respect their privacy? If they send me links to filth, should I respect their privacy? If they're trying to scam - or even just spam - me, should I respect their privacy?

I'll give you a simple rule for PM's. If you're sending a PM to someone that's adversarial in nature, don't expect it to stay private. Why should they feel an obligation to your privacy while you call them a "BOZO HEAD raging idiot”?
Never thought you would be on my list of members that can't be trusted.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: November 02, 2018, 01:36:48 PM »

I agree with CM for once, there's a general "honor amongst thieves" or an unspoken generall unbroken rule on the internet not to reveal private messages.. hence the name.

I say you can reference to something, but reposting is a sort of privacy violation.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: November 02, 2018, 01:40:10 PM »

I agree with CM for once, there's a general "honor amongst thieves" or an unspoken generall unbroken rule on the internet not to reveal private messages.. hence the name.

I say you can reference to something, but reposting is a sort of privacy violation.
Now if PM stood for "Post Message" it would be a different story.  :)

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: November 02, 2018, 01:46:40 PM »
Now if PM stood for "Post Message" it would be a different story.  :)

CM stands for comment messages..

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: November 02, 2018, 02:16:49 PM »

Let's put it this way: I have never, and probably will never, posted a PM someone sent me. If I had received this particular message, I'd probably have ignored it. But I have no problem with someone exposing this kind of behavior by posting it. The message itself was not private in nature - the member decided they wanted to tell cmey off - in very juvenile fashion - but didn't feel so strongly about it that they were comfortable posting it 'publicly'. To me, that's just being a jerk and a coward. I don't feel the need to extend any courtesies implied by the PM system to such a person,

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: November 02, 2018, 02:26:09 PM »
To me, that's just being a jerk and a coward.
Just put them on ignore and be done with it.

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: November 02, 2018, 02:28:55 PM »
Just put them on ignore and be done with it.
Like I said, if it was me I'd have ignored it. But that doesn't discourage this type of behavior. Posting it does.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1515 on: November 02, 2018, 02:29:50 PM »
Let's put it this way: I have never, and probably will never, posted a PM someone sent me. If I had received this particular message, I'd probably have ignored it. But I have no problem with someone exposing this kind of behavior by posting it. The message itself was not private in nature - the member decided they wanted to tell cmey off - in very juvenile fashion - but didn't feel so strongly about it that they were comfortable posting it 'publicly'. To me, that's just being a jerk and a coward. I don't feel the need to extend any courtesies implied by the PM system to such a person,

Problem is, where do you draw the line and who gets to decide? I don't think anyone cares about this particular instance, but more about having a hard rule.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: November 02, 2018, 02:46:27 PM »
Problem is, where do you draw the line and who gets to decide? I don't think anyone cares about this particular instance, but more about having a hard rule.
posting PM's should not be done under any circumstances without the approval of the sender or a mod. Idc what you feel about the situation, it's not your place. If you don't like it, place them on ignore.

Offline Lou Bob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: November 02, 2018, 02:55:40 PM »
posting PM's should not be done under any circumstances without the approval of the sender or a mod. Idc what you feel about the situation, it's not your place. If you don't like it, place them on ignore.
+1
Always use an Amex, you'll thank me one day.

Offline pointer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: November 02, 2018, 03:11:59 PM »
huh?! why in the world should a mod be able decide on "private" messages?

Offline pointer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: November 02, 2018, 03:15:51 PM »

Maybe you've had that conversation, but that doesn't make the matter settled.
like!