Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1183324 times)

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #2900 on: March 03, 2019, 01:18:56 AM »
Find a way to dispute without getting in trouble?
I have 'heard' that some individuals closed their credit cards and had someone open new credit cards on their name without explicit permission, and all of a sudden they got large bills in the mail... So those charges would be considered unauthorized... If (and only if) the victim can prove it...
Chaya L.

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: March 03, 2019, 01:20:58 AM »
I have 'heard' that some individuals closed their credit cards and had someone open new credit cards on their name without explicit permission, and all of a sudden they got large bills in the mail... So those charges would be considered unauthorized... If (and only if) the victim can prove it...
The merchant would have to prove it was authorized.

Offline Z56

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
« Reply #2902 on: March 03, 2019, 01:26:53 AM »

Identity theft
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2903 on: March 03, 2019, 01:27:22 AM »
The merchant would have to prove it was authorized.
+1
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: March 03, 2019, 01:35:05 AM »
Where can we listen to the show?

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: March 03, 2019, 01:37:15 AM »
YWN should have it up any minute now
Since when have they been known to put effort into content ;)

Offline Z56

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
« Reply #2906 on: March 03, 2019, 01:37:29 AM »

Happened a little more frightening, swiper called up the cc owner, if he can use his card, cc holder said NO! He went ahead and used his card without permission.
He had his card information since he (swiper) applied for the card
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Offline JACKBLUE

• View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: March 03, 2019, 01:39:52 AM »
Happened a little more frightening, swiper called up the cc owner, if he can use his card, cc holder said NO! He went ahead and used his card without permission.
Wow! Wow! And Wow! Crazy stuff......

Offline cmey

• View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: March 03, 2019, 01:47:14 AM »

If that isn’t grounds to dispute a charge...

Offline chayal101

• View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: March 03, 2019, 01:51:38 AM »
You gotta keep in mind that even if there may be some who have grounds to sue/take to court, they will refrain from it, due to not taking another Yid to court, (and more likely cuz they are young and afraid...)
Chaya L.

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #2910 on: March 03, 2019, 01:57:41 AM »
You gotta keep in mind that even if there may be some who have grounds to sue/take to court, they will refrain from it, due to not taking another Yid to court, (and more likely cuz they are young and afraid...)
They may also not want to put a yid in jail (based on the last stories a possibility)

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: March 03, 2019, 02:00:24 AM »
And perhaps they don’t want law enforcement prying too deep into their own interactions with the banks.

Offline Yesitwasme

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: March 03, 2019, 02:02:26 AM »

With all the respect, looks like you don’t know much what ages the victims are, or how much we got screwed, well whoever got screwed serious numbers, will do anything possible young or old, smart or stupid. Period

Again, if you are a victim get legal advice ASAP

Speak to your lawyer and get legal advice

Offline Yesitwasme

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: March 03, 2019, 02:06:17 AM »
They may also not want to put a yid in jail (based on the last stories a possibility)

How can you call someone a “YID” if he stoled money.

Offline TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: March 03, 2019, 02:12:27 AM »
אף על פי שחטא - ישראל הוא

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: March 03, 2019, 02:21:42 AM »
Sorry for your predicament, and I would have the same feeling of disgust as you have if I were in a similar spot, however there are those that would not take the step of reporting something to the authorities that can make another Jew (literal definition) sit in jail without speaking to a Rov/B”D.

And
אף על פי שחטא - ישראל הוא

Offline myi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #2916 on: March 03, 2019, 02:31:15 AM »
Would this risk apply to selling your miles in the gray market to a broker?
 Yes you can't loose more then you have, and obviously if you see new cards being opened you would want to put a stop on your account immediately as you can now see your cards online after adding new cards.(or was that only a replacement  replacement card?)

Better did anyone if the past while have a negative transaction and had cc fraud when giving over your account login to sell miles?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: March 03, 2019, 02:33:39 AM »
Sorry for your predicament, and I would have the same feeling of disgust as you have if I were in a similar spot, however there are those that would not take the step of reporting something to the authorities that can make another Jew (literal definition) sit in jail without speaking to a Rov/B”D.

And
My guess is it wouldn't be hard to find a well respected rav who would say it's muttar to take some of these people to court even if they might sit. Just my guess but what do I know.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: March 03, 2019, 02:38:13 AM »
My guess is it wouldn't be hard to find a well respected rav who would say it's muttar to take some of these people to court even if they might sit. Just my guess but what do I know.
This a question to be discussed with ones own Rov, not just rely on another Rov having told someone else it is ok, situations might not be analogous and different details (and a Rov’s views) can effect your Rovs conclusion.

Offline chayal101

• View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: March 03, 2019, 02:43:21 AM »
With all the respect, looks like you don’t know much what ages the victims are, or how much we got screwed, well whoever got screwed serious numbers, will do anything possible young or old, smart or stupid. Period

Again, if you are a victim get legal advice ASAP

Speak to your lawyer and get legal advice
I may not know as much as you do, but I happen to know that plenty of the victims are between the ages of 20-30. And yes, they are 'confused and afraid' on how to approach this... (especially after you've heard Mr. Aron Twersky say they are not getting their $ back) If you're willing to offer more help to those 'YOUNG, CONFUSED, & AFRAID victims' pls let others know they can contact you for help...
Chaya L.