Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 256297 times)

Offline bznt

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #3330 on: March 09, 2019, 11:33:26 PM »

Offline SerV

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: March 10, 2019, 01:34:29 AM »
Did anybody who got FR'd because this fiasco . pass the FR?
Yes, with lowered limits

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: March 10, 2019, 01:36:32 AM »
Yes, with lowered limits
B"H.  At least that's not a problem for them. (you)

Offline Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: March 10, 2019, 06:28:51 PM »
I think she called you a guy too, so it's all good :-D
Lol the irony I was thinking the same thing
which is fine, I'm a big girl and can take it

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
« Reply #3334 on: March 10, 2019, 08:06:32 PM »
A Must listen,
(212) 444-1100;3;4;7; 32#
כל ההתחלות קשות, בלי התחלה קשה ביותר
מרבה נכסים מרבה דאגה, בלי נכסים דאגה ביותר

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: March 10, 2019, 11:40:52 PM »
A Must listen,
(212) 444-1100;3;4;7; 32#

Why do these recordings sound like they are from a 1980ís speakerphone? Itís excrutiating to listen to. Do they not have normal recording technology? Canít the guy clip a mic to his lapel?

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: March 10, 2019, 11:53:17 PM »
Why do these recordings sound like they are from a 1980ís speakerphone? Itís excrutiating to listen to. Do they not have normal recording technology? Canít the guy clip a mic to his lapel?
That has more to do with it being sent over the phone than the original recording.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: March 10, 2019, 11:54:25 PM »
That has more to do with it being sent over the phone than the original recording.

Negative. The ad that plays when you call in is crystal clear.

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: March 11, 2019, 12:00:20 AM »
It's a phone interview, so you get phone call quality.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: March 12, 2019, 04:09:27 PM »
And here I drew the opposite conclusion from the same source.
Just came across this, and realized how we've been lacking in DDF בקיאות.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: March 12, 2019, 04:12:09 PM »
Just came across this, and realized how we've been lacking in DDF בקיאות.
Oy!! Gevald!.. And here we thought someone is finally sharing an update on the situation...
Chaya L.

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: March 12, 2019, 05:04:53 PM »
Getting this thread back on topic here... I feel like I should explain my strong interest in this credit card swiping ordeal (normally I have no interest in the 'Just schmooze' section) ...
#1- I'm not a victim, but I could have very well been one. I have opened plenty of credit cards in the past, and I have allowed others to swipe for me... I've dealt with ppl that I've trusted, but it has become quite clear that we can never trust anyone... (this got me thinking, maybe when @dan posts an exciting credit card sign up offer, he can add the link to his 'don't swipe recklessly for others' to keep on reminding others that's not the way to go...
#2- I have recently started a job in the credit repair line, and even before the BIG story broke, I personally heard from victims of other smaller cases and I was completely shocked, then came the next big case (the one that AT is representing) followed by the most disturbing case yet... !! (And there are many more disturbing cases slowly unfolding...) I have personally heard from so many young victims who are so confused and hurt... (Hence my interest in this discussion, and as you can tell I am no expert, I may have posted some dumb comments from time to time trying to make sense of this, but you guys are used to that already :) ...)
#3- As a result I felt compelled to take action and initiated the awareness ad campaign which B'H turned out to be a success. Lots of magazines were very quick and willing to print the ad in their paper free of charge!! (Look out for more ads printed this week in your local paper...)
#4- I would like to address my DDF name, which some of you were trying to determine my gender, I would have thought the name Chaya would make it pretty obvious... To keep this page on topic, I'll comment about that on another thread...
Chaya L.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: March 12, 2019, 07:18:33 PM »
Getting this thread back on topic here... I feel like I should explain my strong interest in this credit card swiping ordeal (normally I have no interest in the 'Just schmooze' section) ...
#1- I'm not a victim, but I could have very well been one. I have opened plenty of credit cards in the past, and I have allowed others to swipe for me... I've dealt with ppl that I've trusted, but it has become quite clear that we can never trust anyone... (this got me thinking, maybe when @Dan posts an exciting credit card sign up offer, he can add the link to his 'don't swipe recklessly for others' to keep on reminding others that's not the way to go...
#2- I have recently started a job in the credit repair line, and even before the BIG story broke, I personally heard from victims of other smaller cases and I was completely shocked, then came the next big case (the one that AT is representing) followed by the most disturbing case yet... !! (And there are many more disturbing cases slowly unfolding...) I have personally heard from so many young victims who are so confused and hurt... (Hence my interest in this discussion, and as you can tell I am no expert, I may have posted some dumb comments from time to time trying to make sense of this, but you guys are used to that already :) ...)
#3- As a result I felt compelled to take action and initiated the awareness ad campaign which B'H turned out to be a success. Lots of magazines were very quick and willing to print the ad in their paper free of charge!! (Look out for more ads printed this week in your local paper...)
#4- I would like to address my DDF name, which some of you were trying to determine my gender, I would have thought the name Chaya would make it pretty obvious... To keep this page on topic, I'll comment about that on another thread...

Thanks for that heartfelt post (and all the crazy work you put into the ads and actually getting them published).  I'm truly curious, you seem like such a nice person, did you let others swipe because you were maybe naive or felt that you were trying to help them or their business?  Were you excited about the extra points (or the money from selling them)?  As an outsider looking in (and a business owner), it's so hard for me to understand how people could have done this without understanding the risk and I really do want to hear your side.  A number of people on here kind of clearly weighed the risks, were making a killing selling points and rolled the dice (and even now seem like they wanna roll the dice to dispute to hopefully just get out of paying anything, even if it opens themselves up to criminal prosecution).  I personally don't consider them victims but more overly risky lenders.  It seems like you are coming from a different place and I would like to understand your perspective because I'm still trying to wrap my mind around not only this behavior but the huge scale of it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:41:38 PM by Denverite »

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: March 12, 2019, 07:48:21 PM »
Thanks for that heartfelt post (and all the crazy work you put into the ads and actually getting them published).  I'm truly curious, you seem like such a nice person, did you let others swipe because you were maybe naive or felt that you were trying to help them or their business?  Were you excited about the extra points (or the money from selling them)?  As an outsider looking in (and a business owner), it's so hard for me to understand how people could have done this without understanding the risk and I really do want to hear your side.  A number of people on here kind of clearly weighed the risks, were making a killing selling points and rolled the dice (and even know seem like they wanna roll the dice to dispute to hopefully just get out of paying anything, even if it opens themselves up to criminal prosecution) and I don't consider them victims but more overly risky lenders.  It seems like you are coming from a different place and I would like to understand your perspective because I'm still trying to wrap my mind around not only this behavior but the huge scale of it.

Iím in touch with a few victims. They did not expect the risks. It came as a massive shock to them. The people I know are very savvy and intelligent which makes this all the more mind-boggling. I think that there is a certain denial when you can use the extra money and you really donít want to think about the downside. You close your eyes, let them swipe your card and you sell the points. Then you rinse and repeat. Itís an extra $1500-$5000 a month depending on how much you swiped, and itís money that can go to pay insane tuition costs, mortgages, rent etc.

I should also point out that these merchants have been around for many years and gave off the impression that they had a solid business with plenty of revolving cash. Nobody thought too deeply into it or asked too many questions.

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: March 12, 2019, 07:51:50 PM »
Iím in touch with a few victims. They did not expect the risks. It came as a massive shock to them. The people I know are very savvy and intelligent which makes this all the more mind-boggling. I think that there is a certain denial when you can use the extra money and you really donít want to think about the downside. You close your eyes, let them swipe your card and you sell the points. Then you rinse and repeat. Itís an extra $1500-$5000 a month depending on how much you swiped, and itís money that can go to pay insane tuition costs, mortgages, rent etc.

I should also point out that these merchants have been around for many years and gave off the impression that they had a solid business with plenty of revolving cash. Nobody thought too deeply into it or asked too many questions.
+1
ďTo avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.Ē

― Aristotle