Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 273469 times)

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #3615 on: October 24, 2019, 04:39:14 PM »
Sad case, sorry to hear about it. Bottom line is trust nobody when it comes to your credit. Nobody.
Not even your spouse?  :)
You're so far up Trump's a** you can see Giuliani's feet.  HT Baruch

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #3616 on: October 24, 2019, 04:40:04 PM »
I understand all that.
My main concern now is restoring my credit.
Can anyone advise me on how to do this? If I call Citi and say something like, i didnt realize these bills were not paid, can you please reverse the missed payments with the credit agencies and i will begin paying off the balance now, will that work?

So I guess you're not concerned about the $15K? Well, that's good, I suppose.

You need to not ASSUME about your credit; you need to confirm.  Get a copy of your credit report and score (try creditkarma.com for the quick and dirty) and see if they've reported the late payments.

If they have, calling Citi is not going to do anything, and claiming fraud won't work.  Likely, your best hope is to pay it off and then write a goodwill letter, but I'd run it by the folks at creditboards.com.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: October 24, 2019, 04:43:26 PM »

You need to not ASSUME about your credit; you need to confirm.  Get a copy of your credit report and score (try creditkarma.com for the quick and dirty) and see if they've reported the late payments.

If they have, calling Citi is not going to do anything, and claiming fraud won't work.  Likely, your best hope is to pay it off and then write a goodwill letter, but I'd run it by the folks at creditboards.com.
I would not write off Citi so quickly. See how late the payments are and more importantly if you have been turned over to collections.

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: October 24, 2019, 04:47:55 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.
After speaking to Citi customer service, the charges were both made on June 11. (one charge for 3k on my card, one for 12k on my wifes.) Both for something called Bluejay. The cards were closed by Citi on July 1st. So now its end of October... They have not turned anything over to collections yet.

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: October 24, 2019, 04:50:24 PM »

creditkarma says my credit is 792

Offline pointer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: October 24, 2019, 04:52:11 PM »
what does it say by payment history?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #3621 on: October 24, 2019, 04:52:29 PM »

On both EQ and TU?  Assume no derogatory marks?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: October 24, 2019, 05:00:48 PM »
On both.
Payment history shows the closed card, and shows a balance of 3599. For my wife, it shows the closed card with a balance of 12405. Both accounts say "payment status: current". "Amount past due: 0"

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: October 24, 2019, 05:07:33 PM »
Does that even make sense? What should I do?

The way I see it, first thing is to save my credit. Second is to get my money back, which will probably take much longer. I don't want to trash my credit while tracking this guy down and getting my money back. I understand I am probably not the only guy he has done this to anyways, I know of at least two others for much larger sums.
Based on that info from creditkarma, does that mean if I pay up both cards up to date with the minimum payments, and begin making regular monthly payments, my credit will not be affected?

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: October 24, 2019, 05:09:21 PM »
CK is 100% useless for credit scores.

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: October 24, 2019, 05:12:10 PM »
Even if the score is wrong, can I assume this means that it has not yet registered as a late?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: October 24, 2019, 05:12:17 PM »
Does that even make sense? What should I do?

The way I see it, first thing is to save my credit. Second is to get my money back, which will probably take much longer. I don't want to trash my credit while tracking this guy down and getting my money back. I understand I am probably not the only guy he has done this to anyways, I know of at least two others for much larger sums.
Based on that info from creditkarma, does that mean if I pay up both cards up to date with the minimum payments, and begin making regular monthly payments, my credit will not be affected?

There's no guarantee of that. Citi may just be late in reporting.

That said, if they're inclined not to report, not paying it completely now will increase the chances they do ultimately report.

Then again, if you pay it off now, and it ultimately does get reported, and your credit gets wrecked anyway, you'll lose the ability to "settle the amount" (i.e. pay less than the $15K you owe).

Tricky spot, though the folks at CB (mentioned above) likely have greater insight into Citi's practices.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: October 24, 2019, 05:14:38 PM »

No, that's incorrect.  In fact, for this purpose, it's perfectly useful as a proxy for derogatory marks.  If his/her score is 650 (or lower), OP may be able to assume there is some derogatory mark (assuming he otherwise had good credit). Though, of course, as I said, OP can just directly check for derogatory marks on the reports from which they provide info.

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: October 24, 2019, 05:17:20 PM »
There's no guarantee of that. Citi may just be late in reporting.

That said, if they're inclined not to report, not paying it completely now will increase the chances they do ultimately report.

Then again, if you pay it off now, and it ultimately does get reported, and your credit gets wrecked anyway, you'll lose the ability to "settle the amount" (i.e. pay less than the $15K you owe).

Tricky spot, though the folks at CB (mentioned above) likely have greater insight into Citi's practices.
Now I'm very confused.
If I make all the minimum payments up to date, it may make it MORE likely for them to report?

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: October 24, 2019, 05:18:36 PM »
No, that's incorrect.
CK could be accurate or 100-200+ points off. 100% useless for credit score purpose!!!