Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1182698 times)

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #540 on: December 08, 2016, 06:27:28 PM »
You, of all people, have seen how argumentative we get when it comes to anything close to Jewish law or traditions. That there is such strong consensus in this case shows its an objective conclusion.
If I said Jesus is the son of G-d you would all agree I was wrong. Would this be based of your objectivity or Judaism. So my point is a strong consensus does not automatically mean it is objective.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 08, 2016, 06:30:17 PM »
How about you answer a question for a change? Is this deal being discussed 100% legal and ethical?
Objection. See fact #14

14) Even if 2 dozen individuals unethically and illegally fleece you of money that does not make it any more right to act unethically or illegally yourself.

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #542 on: December 08, 2016, 06:31:38 PM »
If I said Jesus is the son of G-d you would all agree I was wrong. Would this be based of your objectivity or Judaism. So my point is a strong consensus does not automatically mean it is objective.

And if I was speaking about cream sandwiches, and you told me the Browns will win the Super Bowl, we could still agree that cholent is better with meat.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 08, 2016, 06:33:34 PM »
Objection. See fact #14
Objection duly noted. Can you please check on DS for me and make sure he is OK? I would like an answer to my question.  :)
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 08, 2016, 06:34:36 PM »
And if I was speaking about cream sandwiches, and you told me the Browns will win the Super Bowl, we could still agree that cholent is better with meat.
...but what about lasagna?

Offline yakov116

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 08, 2016, 06:35:34 PM »
...but what about lasagna?
Whats the issue never had lasagna with meat?
Money talks...mine says goodbye!

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 08, 2016, 06:37:04 PM »
Whats the issue never had lasagna with meat?
Some believe it should be made with meat.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 08, 2016, 06:41:40 PM »
What if A gave B a check with the understanding that B would give A cash and thay B can use the checl to make purchases.  B then used that check to pay C. Subsequently B doesnt give the cash to A. Can A put a stop on the check ?

Offline yakov116

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 08, 2016, 06:48:29 PM »
What if A gave B a check with the understanding that B would give A cash and thay B can use the checl to make purchases.  B then used that check to pay C. Subsequently B doesnt give the cash to A. Can A put a stop on the check ?
Why in the world?

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 08, 2016, 06:54:04 PM »
Why in the world?
The agreement between A and B was that B can use As check. Its still As money going into Cs account. Does A have to sit idly by while getting taken advantage of?

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 08, 2016, 06:56:14 PM »
Of course. For the 100th time the deal is between A/B. SOP and common sense for the 100th time.  :)

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 08, 2016, 06:57:07 PM »
The agreement between A and B was that B can use As check. Its still As money going into Cs account. Does A have to sit idly by while getting taken advantage of?
Only if he is a complete fool.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 08, 2016, 06:57:54 PM »
Of course. For the 100th time the deal is between A/B. SOP and common sense for the 100th time.  :)
Right you would obviously feel this way. I'm wondering if this case would be diffrent than the cc for the others here.

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 08, 2016, 07:02:55 PM »
Only if he is a complete fool.
I havent thought about it thoroughly enough to have a fully formulated opinion but I'm inclined to agree with you in this case.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 08, 2016, 07:13:19 PM »
Do you  mind going back to that list of 14 statements I posted and telling me which ones are false according to you? I assure you it won't take too long.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: December 08, 2016, 07:24:02 PM »
Do you  mind going back to that list of 14 statements I posted and telling me which ones are false according to you? I assure you it won't take too long.
Am I correct in assuming A does not know what dealings is going on between B/C or even that C is involved?

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 08, 2016, 07:25:37 PM »
Am I correct in assuming A does not know what dealings is going on between B/C or even that C is involved?
He knows precisely what charges B made including that B was going to and did charge by C. Read that post.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 08, 2016, 07:30:04 PM »
He knows precisely what charges B made including that B was going to and did charge by C. Read that post.
Now this is different than the original story. That is why I wanted the facts. This now sounds like a three way deal.

Offline yakov116

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 08, 2016, 07:30:44 PM »
dont give the check to him in the first place

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 08, 2016, 07:33:54 PM »
dont give the check to him in the first place
He already did. The question is can he stop payment. Please say no.  :)