Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1182545 times)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #800 on: May 04, 2018, 02:07:57 PM »
I don't get the reference.
No reference just facts. He is trying to come up with a better way. Getting the items for .10 on the 1.00 is a better way but not legal.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Eliyohu

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 04, 2018, 02:08:50 PM »
Not sure how anyone who claims to be involved even has time to post in this thread today...

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: May 04, 2018, 02:13:01 PM »
Not sure how anyone who claims to be involved even has time to post in this thread today...
Some hot deal we are missing?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #803 on: May 04, 2018, 02:13:20 PM »

lol

3 monitors baby
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Eliyohu

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #805 on: May 04, 2018, 02:16:56 PM »
Ebay is terrible every thing is giving me a different error.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #807 on: May 04, 2018, 02:44:00 PM »
Ebay is terrible every thing is giving me a different error.
That's regular. I actually made out quite well today bh.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 04, 2018, 02:46:27 PM »
That's regular. I actually made out quite well today bh.
I hate when the deal has a coupon, it makes more opportunities for error.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #809 on: May 04, 2018, 02:53:18 PM »
B. who cares? because why just smile and make our $10 commission when there is possibly a whole other business front.
Dude. Really? These people gave you a way to earn bucketloads of points, and commissions to boot, for what can be a relatively great return on your time (everyone's time is worth different amounts [financially], and you need to decide that for yourself). They spoonfeed you everything, including the actual deals to buy. So therefore, it's the opportune time to make all the money they made through building their respective businesses, because "why smile and make our $10 commission"?

If you have that attitude, then you can question anything profitable you've ever undertaken, and apply it. Like, "Why earn points from a bank by swiping credit cards when I can just invent PayPal and charge people instead?"  Or, "Why buy electronics from a wholesaler when I can just manufacture it myself?"
Now, this is not necessarily a terrible attitude in life, if you choose one specific industry, as people do it, and sometimes become very rich and successful in the process. But it's not a legitimate question to ask yourself before deciding if you should join a spending group, or any other profitable venture. The profit, no matter how fat, that someone else earns through leveraging your time and effort shouldn't be in the equation of whether it's worth your time. The only thing that matters, in a market transaction, is what YOU will earn, and whether it's worth it for YOU.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #810 on: May 04, 2018, 02:54:15 PM »
I hate when the deal has a coupon, it makes more opportunities for error.
And makes for more deals. Quantity over quality is the name of the spending group game :)

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: May 04, 2018, 02:55:01 PM »
And makes for more deals. Quantity over quality is the name of the spending group game :)
Huh

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #812 on: May 04, 2018, 02:55:35 PM »
Dude. Really? These people gave you a way to earn bucketloads of points, and commissions to boot, for what can be a relatively great return on your time (everyone's time is worth different amounts [financially], and you need to decide that for yourself). They spoonfeed you everything, including the actual deals to buy. So therefore, it's the opportune time to make all the money they made through building their respective businesses, because "why smile and make our $10 commission"?

If you have that attitude, then you can question anything profitable you've ever undertaken, and apply it. Like, "Why earn points from a bank by swiping credit cards when I can just invent PayPal and charge people instead?"  Or, "Why buy electronics from a wholesaler when I can just manufacture it myself?"
Now, this is not necessarily a terrible attitude in life, if you choose one specific industry, as people do it, and sometimes become very rich and successful in the process. But it's not a legitimate question to ask yourself before deciding if you should join a spending group, or any other profitable venture. The profit, no matter how fat, that someone else earns through leveraging your time and effort shouldn't be in the equation of whether it's worth your time. The only thing that matters, in a market transaction, is what YOU will earn, and whether it's worth it for YOU.
Don't mean to be harsh. Sorry if that's how I came across. Just a bit of life advice. Use it if you will, discard it if you dare.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #813 on: May 04, 2018, 02:56:55 PM »
Huh
Coupons make any regular priced item an awesome deal and buy-worthy. I'll take many deals that aren't as smooth over a couple that are easier, because ramping up the spending is what's important.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: May 04, 2018, 02:58:09 PM »
Don't mean to be harsh. Sorry if that's how I came across. Just a bit of life advice. Use it if you will, discard it if you dare.
He is just looking for a better way. Maybe his better way will be to move up the food chain. How many here use to just sell their points/miles until they found out how much they were leaving on the table. Now they are brokers.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #815 on: May 04, 2018, 03:15:07 PM »
He is just looking for a better way. Maybe his better way will be to move up the food chain. How many here use to just sell their points/miles until they found out how much they were leaving on the table. Now they are brokers.
And then brokers became travel agents, agents became hotel operators, hotel operators became hospitality moguls?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: May 04, 2018, 03:17:30 PM »
And then brokers became travel agents,
That part is true.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #817 on: May 04, 2018, 03:17:52 PM »
Those people started off selling points, then transitioned to the next step. Here, one of OPs original 2 questions before deciding whether he should even join was whether it's not worth it to do as others are getting a bigger slice of the pie. And I don't think that's a smart way to approach business and life. Get in first, then make it better. Don't let others' successes get in the way of your own.

Feel free to differ.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #818 on: May 04, 2018, 03:18:04 PM »

Offline mrprez27

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: May 04, 2018, 03:46:53 PM »
Lol, you don't know the first thing about how this business works and already you think you might be able to come up with a better way to run it?
Are you serious??? Maybe if someone was willing to share some info lol!....I dont mean to be rude but comments such as this stifle idea and the ability for free conversation.