Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1182614 times)

Offline mrprez27

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #860 on: May 06, 2018, 02:13:09 AM »
It's not complicated. He asked and was answered multiple times. At this point, it's just post padding.
Not true no one gave a clear explanation or anything close to it....people here obviously don't know and that's ok.

Are you implying I am trying to get my post count up?

Its ok its obvious my original question brought up more interesting convos to you folks such as how not to get banned from BB or eBay and buying gold on eBay - so continue away on that convo....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 02:17:16 AM by mrprez27 »

Offline mrprez27

• View Profile
« Reply #861 on: May 06, 2018, 02:15:00 AM »
Why you making this so complicated?
These companies are wholesalers. Online is often better price then buying direct, or gives access to products in large quantities not available elsewhere. If it’s a popular product that’s not available in parts of the world, then someone has to supply it, sometimes at nice markup. And they can sell to distributors, retailers, Amazon, government agencies,  etc.

So online is cheaper than buying from Apple directly?

Further, online gives more access? What are you saying?

Are you speaking about broad economic principles?  If something is popular and a country wants it, someone has to supply it.......? What does that mean (in context of this convo- I am a MBA major, not the underlying principles)?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 02:19:23 AM by mrprez27 »

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 06, 2018, 02:16:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure this is the most frustrating conversation I've ever witnessed on DDF. 
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline mrprez27

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: May 06, 2018, 02:17:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure this is the most frustrating conversation I've ever witnessed on DDF.
+1

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 06, 2018, 02:18:01 AM »
+1
I'm fairly certain that you're a large part of the problem.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline mrprez27

• View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 06, 2018, 02:25:47 AM »
I'm fairly certain that you're a large part of the problem.
Wow - so please say how? I as the OP (original poster) asked two simple questions looking to discuss the ethics and also the background of how the business is run.

1. Never really touched upon

2. People say, wholesalers, no one is really explaining on what actually is going on.

To build on 1 and 2 no legitime wholesaler or government buyer is legally purchasing a product without a clear understanding of its origin.

It seems people are making stuff up when they dont know.

I don't think people here really know so its fine - people should just stop telling OP's off that they want 'all the answers' in situations where they did their research and its obvious the person saying that has no clue what the answer is himself.

Listen, if you guys want to talk about other stuff so be it...but don't say I'm not 'chapping' or catching on and def. do not say that people here have given satisfactory answers.

Offline mrprez27

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: May 06, 2018, 02:28:05 AM »
Wow - so please say how? I as the OP (original poster) asked two simple questions looking to discuss the ethics and also the background of how the business is run.

2. People say, wholesalers, no one is really explaining on what actually is going on.

To build on 1 and 2 no legitime wholesaler or government buyer is legally purchasing a product without a clear understanding of its origin.

I don't think people here really know so its fine - people should just stop telling OP's off that they want 'all the answers' in situations where they did their research and its obvious the person saying that has no clue what the answer is himself.

Listen, if you guys want to talk about other stuff so be it...but don't say I'm not 'chapping' or catching on and def. do not say that people here have given satisfactory answers.

Sorry if I came off a little harsh with above - didnt mean it to be so

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 06, 2018, 02:39:00 AM »

Your first question was answered almost immediately.
Your second question initially seemed somewhat irrelevant. It then turned into the bizarre situation of your simultaneously being unsure you want to be involved in this business on even the lowest level, buying for groups, while also expecting that people would outline their entire business model for you so you can become their competition. I really have no idea why you expect that info to be shared. You keep perseverating on the same points but you've got what you're going to get. Any further info falls under the category of "those who know don't tell, those who tell don't know." And if I was running a buying group the last thing I would do is post any answers to your questions when you have clearly stated that your interest in getting that info is to enter the business yourself.
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Buying Groups-Swiping
« Reply #868 on: May 06, 2018, 07:50:40 AM »
Is this kosher? Anyone familiar?
Both your original questions have been answered.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #869 on: May 06, 2018, 08:21:53 AM »
Ok guys, I'll do it. I'll answer the questions clearly so that this can end.

1) No. It's illegal. You will almost certainly go to jail for violating a store's terms and conditions. Some people think a month in jail is worth a week in the Maldives or at least one shower on a airplane. It's basic risk-reward / cost-benefit analysis.

2) I'm gonna get in huge trouble for this, but I've already been removed from one buying group for inactivity, so I'm not risking that much. The buying groups use the power of large groups to obtain products at a lower cost which they then sell to other buyers at a higher cost. It's a very secretive concept called, "but low, sell high."

Please note, in certain industries which are kosher in some states and decidedly unkosher in most, it is very much not advised to "sell high". But to each their own.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: May 06, 2018, 08:35:20 AM »
1) No. It's illegal. You will almost certainly go to jail for violating a store's terms and conditions.
Do you know if it would be a state or federal prison?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline CodeAdam10

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 06, 2018, 09:31:37 AM »

It’s the M&P Prison.

They take away all your cards and everyday they force you to watch others collecting miles&points and redeeming them for awesome getaways. Then on your last day, right before they let you out ... they reset all your m&p balances to -1 and give back just one of your cards, with a revolving credit limit of $100. This is called the probation period.

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #872 on: May 06, 2018, 09:32:38 AM »
It’s the M&P Prison.

They take away all your cards and everyday they force you to watch others collecting miles&points and redeeming them for awesome getaways. Then on your last day, right before they let you out ... they reset all your m&p balances to -1 and give back just one of your cards, with a revolving credit limit of $100. This is called the probation period.
And you only earn cash back.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline mrprez27

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 06, 2018, 09:41:29 AM »
Ok guys, I'll do it. I'll answer the questions clearly so that this can end.

1) No. It's illegal. You will almost certainly go to jail for violating a store's terms and conditions. Some people think a month in jail is worth a week in the Maldives or at least one shower on a airplane. It's basic risk-reward / cost-benefit analysis.

2) I'm gonna get in huge trouble for this, but I've already been removed from one buying group for inactivity, so I'm not risking that much. The buying groups use the power of large groups to obtain products at a lower cost which they then sell to other buyers at a higher cost. It's a very secretive concept called, "but low, sell high."

Please note, in certain industries which are kosher in some states and decidedly unkosher in most, it is very much not advised to "sell high". But to each their own.
who knew these forums could be such a safe space ;) - glad you spent the time to write this piece of satire

Offline mrprez27

• View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 06, 2018, 09:41:56 AM »
Thank You all for your replies

Offline mrprez27

• View Profile
« Reply #875 on: May 06, 2018, 09:42:36 AM »

Your first question was answered almost immediately.
Your second question initially seemed somewhat irrelevant. It then turned into the bizarre situation of your simultaneously being unsure you want to be involved in this business on even the lowest level, buying for groups, while also expecting that people would outline their entire business model for you so you can become their competition. I really have no idea why you expect that info to be shared. You keep perseverating on the same points but you've got what you're going to get. Any further info falls under the category of "those who know don't tell, those who tell don't know." And if I was running a buying group the last thing I would do is post any answers to your questions when you have clearly stated that your interest in getting that info is to enter the business yourself.
Thank You for the candid response

Offline mrprez27

• View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 06, 2018, 09:43:25 AM »
It’s the M&P Prison.

I heard they reset it to -2

Offline mrprez27

• View Profile
« Reply #877 on: May 06, 2018, 09:44:30 AM »
def. federal - unless the bestbuy ordering takes place only within statelines

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #878 on: May 06, 2018, 09:45:56 AM »
who knew these forums could be such a safe space ;) - glad you spent the time to write this piece of satire

Thank You all for your replies

Thank You for the candid response

I heard they reset it to -2

def. federal - unless the bestbuy ordering takes place only within statelines

I was trying not to judge about the padding, but wow.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 11:20:20 AM by jj1000 »
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 06, 2018, 09:47:24 AM »
I was trying not to judge about the padding, but wow.
This is about to get moved to JS now so don't worry.