Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1182720 times)

Online Abebee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 735
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #920 on: May 08, 2018, 05:11:59 PM »
Ok. So would somebody please let me on how not to get orders cancelled from BB. Everything is getting cancelled recently.
New account, use new email and phone number. Use paypal and you can use a blocked credit card linked to your paypal.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: May 08, 2018, 05:30:08 PM »
New account, use new email and phone number. Use paypal and you can use a blocked credit card linked to your paypal.
Didn't help..... That helped for a while for a couple of orders a day, did the same, just without an account, used guest checkout. Last couple of months, anything sent to my address doesn't work. Tried recently to a new address with a new cc, name, telephone, guest checkout, different IP address, incognito. Helped for a week, every order took a day to move to the preparing stage, so was only able to make one order a day. Now that also gets cancelled after a day...

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: May 08, 2018, 06:14:29 PM »
Quick math, you are someones B***H and swipe $5000 on a card that gives you 1.5 on the dollar (freedom unlimited)
it take you 10 minutes to buy it, 2 minutes to sign for it and 20 minute to get it to him.
You spend 32 minutes and make 7,500 points valued at 1.4 that's $105 for a half hour worth of work.
My guess is most people on DDF (most) don't make $210 a hour.

This.

Anyone who is not Bezos makes less than the other guy.

You work in a company, your boss makes more than you. You own your own company? Your clients make more than you.  In both case, by your definition, you are someone's b**ch.

Great math, flawed logic.

Few deals are 5k swipe in 10 min, nevermind the time wasted on cancelled orders etc.

This does not change the fact that it diminishes your capacity to become an adam gadol.. you will remain an adam katan.

I rather look at it as a nice easy way to get free points were relevant and i'll do as a favor to friend and family.

You could easily make $210 or $500 an hour if you actualize your potential in life.

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: May 08, 2018, 06:25:33 PM »
This does not change the fact that it diminishes your capacity to become an adam gadol.. you will remain an adam katan.

You could easily make $210 or $500 an hour if you actualize your potential in life.
No offense to you personally (I don't even know you) but that's a load of BS.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: May 08, 2018, 06:25:48 PM »
Fine... BUT you're still someone else's B****H.

Risk/reward + full time job. The guy paying millions for merchandise is taking a big risk if and when anything goes wrong. And he’s also spending full time on it, whether it’s finding and calling contacts to sell the merchandise, dealing with warehousing, employees, etc.

Why are you dripping with jealousy?
Visibly Jewish

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #925 on: May 08, 2018, 06:58:28 PM »
Great math, flawed logic.

Few deals are 5k swipe in 10 min, nevermind the time wasted on cancelled orders etc.

I rather look at it as a nice easy way to get free points were relevant and i'll do as a favor to friend and family.

Oh, I see now. You're willing to remain an adam katan, just as long as the reward is worth it.

I have a full-time job which keeps me pretty preoccupied (and I think most would agree I haven't squandered my time getting where I am), but I'm able to do this on the side where and make thousands per month for a couple hours per week.

Maybe that's chump change to you, maybe that few hours is keeping me from becoming an adam gadol, and/or maybe I'm just better at it than you.

Not sure I'd agree with any of those.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: May 08, 2018, 07:00:02 PM »
Oh, I see now. You're willing to remain an adam katan, just as long as the reward is worth it.

I have a full-time job which keeps me pretty preoccupied (and I think most would agree I haven't squandered my time getting where I am), but I'm able to do this on the side where and make thousands per month for a couple hours per week.

Maybe that's chump change to you, maybe that few hours is keeping me from becoming an adam gadol, and/or maybe I'm just better at it than you.

Also why limit yourself to 500$ an hour. Your firm definitely doesn’t

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: May 08, 2018, 08:48:31 PM »
I must say you guys are giving me a good laugh.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #928 on: May 08, 2018, 09:01:31 PM »
I am not jealous of any one.  Each according to their wishes.

I own my own business, I could churn all day, I could also waste time on DDF (and do) If you are happy churning as a full time job, go for it..  But you are wasting your life.. unless you have no potential.

I am an adam katan and daily people tell me that I am wasting my potential. I have no issue with people hunting down deals.. but you are, at the end of the day, a slave to someone else.

Its not even a job, its just a mindless gopher.

I certainly agree if there's a good churn, do it. But to slave at it, meh.

p.s. there is a DDF'er who is enormously successful, yet he churns like a schlepper, it's hilarious
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 09:05:52 PM by chevron »

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: May 08, 2018, 09:09:11 PM »
Ironically I feel less like a slave when I choose to buy stuff from the buying groups. I choose what deals I want to work on or if I want to at all. Can't do that when you are an employee.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #930 on: May 08, 2018, 09:23:17 PM »
Ironically I feel less like a slave when I choose to buy stuff from the buying groups. I choose what deals I want to work on or if I want to at all. Can't do that when you are an employee.

no, but if its a full time income yes

Online Z56

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
« Reply #931 on: May 08, 2018, 10:04:29 PM »

Well said👌🏻
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Offline farmbochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: May 08, 2018, 11:18:23 PM »
Your גדלות is a function of your earnings rate?
Risk is opportunity

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #933 on: May 08, 2018, 11:23:19 PM »
no, but if its a full time income yes
Trust me, almost nobody is doing this as a full-time income. You may have had a good point if that were true but your premise is just wrong.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: May 08, 2018, 11:29:14 PM »
I own my own business,...
... but you are, at the end of the day, a slave to someone else.
Did you always own your own business, or have you been an employee at some point. And when you were an employee, would you say you had a good boss/employer?

Online Z56

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
« Reply #935 on: May 08, 2018, 11:44:35 PM »
Did you always own your own business, or have you been an employee at some point. And when you were an employee, would you say you had a good boss/employer?

Nice come back 🤙
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #936 on: May 09, 2018, 12:42:11 AM »

not since I was 17, I had OK bosses / employers. Maybe I just don't like working for others is why the churning annoys me.

Also I kNow people that do this, instead of pursuing much greater things, not simply in making money but in making the world a better place.

And certainly there are plenty who learn half day and churn half a day in Lakewood.

On the boost mobile iPhone 6 I was offered like 10$ above cost and then another group offered 40$? Or so, so the first guy upped his offer but I realized he was going to make 50$ each and I doing the work a lousy 10$

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #937 on: May 09, 2018, 12:50:59 AM »
Your גדלות is a function of your earnings rate?

No, it has nothing to do with money, though if someone can make money and put it to good use, certainly that's a good thing.

Everyone tells me to write and speak,  but I don't want to do it, so I'm killing my potential in life. That's my problem.

But any ways, I'm just personally annoyed, I know a great Talmud chacham that does this for some of his income and while we can argue that this is a positive thing to help people make ends meet, I feel it's like giving a healthy person a wheel chair and he has so much greater potential.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #938 on: May 09, 2018, 12:52:53 AM »
On the boost mobile iPhone 6 I was offered like 10$ above cost and then another group offered 40$? Or so, so the first guy upped his offer but I realized he was going to make 50$ each and I doing the work a lousy 10$
What about all the work that went into him building his business up to the point where he could make $50 a phone?
Are you really that jealous of a guy that worked hard to build his business that you won't take the opportunity to make easy money? I really just don't understand your point here, if you really want to make the big money, why not open a buying group yourself? You're only harming yourself by "begrudging" that guy his $50 because it's more than the $10 he's offering you...

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #939 on: May 09, 2018, 01:48:27 AM »
What about all the work that went into him building his business up to the point where he could make $50 a phone?
Are you really that jealous of a guy that worked hard to build his business that you won't take the opportunity to make easy money? I really just don't understand your point here, if you really want to make the big money, why not open a buying group yourself? You're only harming yourself by "begrudging" that guy his $50 because it's more than the $10 he's offering you...

this is why I hate internet discussions. You have assumed so much in your response, things farthest from the truth that is crazy.

The guy that offered me the small amount?  Worked for me for years, I taught him everything he knows.

I respect that line of business, I started my business 15 years ago. Personally this isn't for me and I moved away from that sector long ago anyways.

I'll do it mostly as a favor, points are great and no one ever said a few bucks suck. But if you have a open order for a few thousand units and stand to make 40-50$ a pop and ask me to be your schlepper and make 10$ a unit so In the big picture you can make 40-50k for doing nothing... A big eff you very much is in order.

in the beginning I welcomed the churning opportunities, I still do. It's great for all of us and is 10000 times better than vanilla ;)

I dunno I just don't like doing someone else's work for a few dollars or free. Maybe it's just my personality. If it was something that came off as a favor I probably wouldn't mind but it just ends up feeling so much like "go buy 10 of this and 5 of that " and I'm just not in the mood to buy anything and I get annoying reminders it's like screw you!

Again it's probably just my independent personality, I would gladly help someone else earn a income if there was nothing in it for me.

Long before there was buying groups there was people buying the first ipads for others to wholesale :)