Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1183490 times)

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #940 on: May 09, 2018, 01:51:25 AM »
And the amount the first iPad was wholesaled at was staggering!! It was well over 100$ of the retail cost iirc

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: May 09, 2018, 01:54:32 AM »
Also I kNow people that do this, instead of pursuing much greater things, not simply in making money but in making the world a better place.

I'm sure most people have a few hours a day to burn, and can pay all the bills with absolutely no issue. Let's shed all sympathy for them and bring out the pitchforks and fix this great injustice. I think AG ES will take the case pro-bono.
Visibly Jewish

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: May 09, 2018, 01:57:25 AM »
Good for them. 'and if there are others that start this young etc or do it full time and don't pursue bigger things in life? 

Offline cholent

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: May 09, 2018, 02:00:52 AM »
Good for them. 'and if there are others that start this young etc or do it full time and don't pursue bigger things in life?
Honestly I've been tempted for years to drop my regular job and do this full time. I won't and can't because it's unreliable. But if I had, that would mean I have more time to spend with my family, more flexibility for them. Why would that be a bad thing? If someone is learning half a day and doing this half a day, I think that's great. Doing this is enabling them to stay in learning, without the opportunity to make money on the side they would have much less time to learn. I must be completely missing your point
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #944 on: May 09, 2018, 02:12:07 AM »
Honestly I've been tempted for years to drop my regular job and do this full time. I won't and can't because it's unreliable. But if I had, that would mean I have more time to spend with my family, more flexibility for them. Why would that be a bad thing? If someone is learning half a day and doing this half a day, I think that's great. Doing this is enabling them to stay in learning, without the opportunity to make money on the side they would have much less time to learn. I must be completely missing your point

To each their own, maybe I should churn all day, give up my apartment and car, live in hotels and travel the globe.

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #945 on: May 09, 2018, 02:15:45 AM »
To each their own, maybe I should churn all day, give up my apartment and car, live in hotels and travel the globe.
Or maybe you should churn all day, pay down your mortgage, give more tzedakah, and not have to work on erev yt and chol hamoed

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #946 on: May 09, 2018, 02:23:59 AM »
Or maybe you should churn all day, pay down your mortgage, give more tzedakah, and not have to work on erev yt and chol hamoed

There Is no possibility of me being able to respond to that without being bashed right and left, but come by my apartment and I'll give you the answer in person.

Offline yitrap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: May 09, 2018, 02:25:19 AM »
this is why I hate internet discussions. You have assumed so much in your response, things farthest from the truth that is crazy.

The guy that offered me the small amount?  Worked for me for years, I taught him everything he knows.

I respect that line of business, I started my business 15 years ago. Personally this isn't for me and I moved away from that sector long ago anyways.

I'll do it mostly as a favor, points are great and no one ever said a few bucks suck. But if you have a open order for a few thousand units and stand to make 40-50$ a pop and ask me to be your schlepper and make 10$ a unit so In the big picture you can make 40-50k for doing nothing... A big eff you very much is in order.

in the beginning I welcomed the churning opportunities, I still do. It's great for all of us and is 10000 times better than vanilla ;)

I dunno I just don't like doing someone else's work for a few dollars or free. Maybe it's just my personality. If it was something that came off as a favor I probably wouldn't mind but it just ends up feeling so much like "go buy 10 of this and 5 of that " and I'm just not in the mood to buy anything and I get annoying reminders it's like screw you!

Again it's probably just my independent personality, I would gladly help someone else earn a income if there was nothing in it for me.

Long before there was buying groups there was people buying the first ipads for others to wholesale :)
So you're upset that the guy was giving you a bad markup? Find a better buying group.

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #948 on: May 09, 2018, 02:35:51 AM »
There Is no possibility of me being able to respond to that without being bashed right and left, but come by my apartment and I'll give you the answer in person.
Feel free to PM since I'm unlikely to be in your neighborhood soon

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 09, 2018, 04:59:29 AM »
I take back what I said. I can't delete my posts but I stand corrected

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #950 on: May 09, 2018, 05:11:27 AM »
What changed your mind?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #951 on: May 09, 2018, 08:30:20 AM »
 @chevron can you say what type of business you are in?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: May 09, 2018, 08:37:43 AM »
@chevron

I've been buying for the groups for a few years now. I don't do it for the money, I really couldn't care about the commissions that they offer.

I only do it for the spend. Give me a macbook that I can buy for $1,000 and I'll be glad to buy 100 of them for you. It's a win-win for me. You get the products that you need to sell, and I get the points that I want.

I'm assuming most are in the same position. They got into it because they wanted the points. Yes, a little commission helps too.
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 09, 2018, 08:38:24 AM »

now thats a sign of an adam gadol

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 09, 2018, 08:42:33 AM »
I couldn't agree more. Kol hakavod @chevron

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 09, 2018, 08:50:02 AM »
What changed your mind?

I heard a different side of the story.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #956 on: May 09, 2018, 08:58:48 AM »
I heard a different side of the story.
Can you share?

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #957 on: May 09, 2018, 12:54:45 PM »
+1. Impressed.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #958 on: May 09, 2018, 01:21:29 PM »
Can you share?

I realised that for some, it is a source of much needed secondary income. Rather than a game or such.

I do realize that, done right it represents a few hundred extra dollars a week, which can be crucial or at least helpful.

Sometimes I parlay my personal experience with things into the big picture, not because I think the world evolves around me, I just forget that each person is different.

For me, churning is often a distraction from my day job and inherently a waste of time.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #959 on: May 09, 2018, 01:22:53 PM »
For me, churning is often a distraction from my day job and inherently a waste of time.
ROI
I just found a new supply of forks!