Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1199439 times)

Offline puddles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #1140 on: July 17, 2018, 03:48:12 PM »
+1 kept finding my cart empty but eventually it worked out...does amazon get annoyed at these high quantity orders or not? i mean they give you option to add up to 30 for some items....
really not interested in being banned from amazon
I stayed away from Amazon deals, not worth a ban

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #1141 on: July 17, 2018, 03:56:59 PM »
with the amex offer 20% off this was quite awesome. but i also didnt over do it for that reason. hopefully i wont be banned for the small quantities i did
#TYH

Offline puddles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: July 17, 2018, 04:56:20 PM »
with the amex offer 20% off this was quite awesome. but i also didnt over do it for that reason. hopefully i wont be banned for the small quantities i did
That is good for 2 orders no?

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: July 17, 2018, 06:48:49 PM »
IME, Amazon doesn't ban you for purchasing the maximum quantity allowed. They only ban you if you try to circumvent the quantity limits by making new accounts.

Offline LNS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: July 17, 2018, 07:13:15 PM »
IME, Amazon doesn't ban you for purchasing the maximum quantity allowed. They only ban you if you try to circumvent the quantity limits by making new accounts.

policy is  prime members can not take advantage of special prime pricing for resale

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: July 17, 2018, 07:31:22 PM »
Makes sense, but source? And have you ever seen them ban for that?

Offline LNS

• View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: July 17, 2018, 07:40:56 PM »
Makes sense, but source? And have you ever seen them ban for that?
part of the T&C

Other Limitations
    We reserve the right to accept or refuse membership in our discretion.
    We may send you email and other communications related to Prime and your Prime membership (regardless of any settings or preferences related to your Amazon account).
    You may not transfer or assign your Prime membership or any Prime benefits, including promotion codes for Prime memberships or benefits, except as allowed in these terms.
    Prime members are not permitted to purchase products for the purpose of resale, rental, or to ship to their customers or potential customers using Prime benefits.
    Some Prime benefits may require certain purchase thresholds, have quantity or shipping address limitations, or require members to meet specified criteria in order to access them.
    From time to time, Amazon may choose in its sole discretion to add or remove Prime membership benefits.

alot of people talk about it on seller central im not a seller but there's a lot of useful info there

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: July 17, 2018, 07:47:27 PM »
part of the T&C

Other Limitations
    We reserve the right to accept or refuse membership in our discretion.
    We may send you email and other communications related to Prime and your Prime membership (regardless of any settings or preferences related to your Amazon account).
    You may not transfer or assign your Prime membership or any Prime benefits, including promotion codes for Prime memberships or benefits, except as allowed in these terms.
    Prime members are not permitted to purchase products for the purpose of resale, rental, or to ship to their customers or potential customers using Prime benefits.
    Some Prime benefits may require certain purchase thresholds, have quantity or shipping address limitations, or require members to meet specified criteria in order to access them.
    From time to time, Amazon may choose in its sole discretion to add or remove Prime membership benefits.

alot of people talk about it on seller central im not a seller but there's a lot of useful info there
That’s doesn’t limit restriction to prime pricing.

Offline LNS

• View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: July 17, 2018, 10:11:41 PM »
That’s doesn’t limit restriction to prime pricing.

i would think "prime benefits" would include pricing

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: July 18, 2018, 11:09:10 PM »
New terms on portal shopping for BB? "Only eligible on up to 10 orders per week." Found on MileagePlus portal.

Can anyone confirm this is the case? I wouldn't know since all my orders are cancelled anyways. ;)

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1150 on: July 18, 2018, 11:27:40 PM »
Anyone looking to swipe about about 30k? If you get bonus points for cruises it's a crazy good deal. #afaf

Offline mileagejunkie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: July 19, 2018, 11:18:49 AM »
OK then, kindly point to which actual laws are being broken here? Because in my discussion of this with my CPA I was told that so long as I'm not actually profiting $600 worth I won't need a 1099 and don't need to worry. The swiping itself can be proven pretty easily as to whom's behalf I'm doing this. It's being resold wholesale (so not required to collect sales tax) and not for any personal use whatsoever.
Start off with this question: If A paid taxes, can he legally request a sales tax refund?
Let me explain why I think it's not that simple - I'm a reseller (not the buying group kind). A resale certificate has the same effect as filing a sales tax refund, meaning that A has to either present a certificate or pay taxes (and get a refund) before selling to B. If he gave a certificate he can then get a copy of B's certificate (and sell tax free) or refuse it (and collect and pay sales taxes), in which case B can request a refund. In all these cases A and B will need to file sales taxes as they are required. I'm sure you can see the problem with A presenting B's resale certificate while he's using his card and then getting a check (A is a reseller no matter how you look at it and resellers are required to file sales taxes for sales in their state whether or not they collected them). I think the only reason that people don't get in trouble is because it's a gray-ish area (doesn't mean it's legal but the state doesn't lose money when done this way) and also there isn't usually a link between federal taxes and states sales taxes. However, I can only imagine that some people will get in trouble if there were some major audit (these can go up or down in hierarchy, I've had a business being audited asking for my certificate).
The only way I can see a buying group being 100% legal would be to "drop ship" to a state like Delaware and you'd only be legally required to file your regular taxes (you might have to file quarterly taxes!).
I'm not a CPA and I can be wrong, but I wouldn't take "so and so is a CPA and he said it's fine" as a guideline, I've had many instances of conflicting information. I'd ask that person to quote the law.

Offline Mordyk

• View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #1152 on: July 19, 2018, 11:24:00 AM »
New terms on portal shopping for BB? "Only eligible on up to 10 orders per week." Found on MileagePlus portal.

Can anyone confirm this is the case? I wouldn't know since all my orders are cancelled anyways. ;)
just got welcomed to this club. although i did take fully advantage as long as it worked :D
#TYH

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: July 19, 2018, 12:19:00 PM »
just got welcomed to this club. although i did take fully advantage as long as it worked :D
And I actually made an order (very small) yesterday that's didn't get cancelled yet... Didn't ship yet either, though....

Offline shmoe joe

• View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: August 14, 2018, 10:36:39 PM »
Some who work in credit repair offered me money to add additional cards to my cc for those people he is working to repair their credits. I"ll be the one opening it and the cards will arrive to my house, nobody will be using these cards. anything to be scared of?
p.s. not totally related but didn't know where to ask.
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Offline JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: August 14, 2018, 10:40:20 PM »
Some who work in credit repair offered me money to add additional cards to my cc for those people he is working to repair their credits. I"ll be the one opening it and the cards will arrive to my house, nobody will be using these cards. anything to be scared of?
I do this all the time for friends and family who try to build their credit.
So far no issues BH. Never thought this should be an issue.
Anyone here can confirm?

Offline oldguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: August 14, 2018, 10:57:38 PM »
I do this all the time for friends and family who try to build their credit.
So far no issues BH. Never thought this should be an issue.
Anyone here can confirm?
I had with Capital One and Amex asking me to send in a copy of an ID and SS Card to verify that I know the people. There are companies that pay a few hundred $ to do that to other peoples credit.

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #1157 on: August 14, 2018, 10:57:54 PM »
Banks don't like it if you do it for random people. In moderation I suppose you should be ok
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: August 14, 2018, 11:13:28 PM »
See Chase A/A thread.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: August 15, 2018, 11:25:30 AM »
Besides getting your account closed and/or getting access to your account there is nothing to worry about.
I just found a new supply of forks!