Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1182464 times)

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #1340 on: October 22, 2018, 09:59:10 AM »
Define the difference between dumping products and just being a little behind on your dropoffs.
If you buy with the intention of giving it to the highest bidder, why are they responsible to take it from you if they are losing?
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline tzifanya54

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: October 22, 2018, 09:59:13 AM »
It shouldn't be different - they should broadcast "stop buying" and if it's purchased after that point then there is no guarantee but before that point yes guarantee. As it stands now, there are no guarantees even 1 day later?? I just focus on buying, it makes no sense to put that onus of keeping track of resale market on the buyers imo.
+1
These guys have been saying things like this since day one. I was actually going to join, when I realized it was the same guy that hijacked the list of names and numbers from USA. I remember back then they wanted/demanded everyone buy at least one of everything on their list every time, or some ludicrous thing like that.... I think they have come a long way since then, but they still seem to be the ones most focused on loyalty, and always buying everything they post.....

Wake up and smell the coffee people are doing this strictly for their own benefit and don’t give a damn if you succeed as a buying group. It’s like every other free market venture, whoever offers the most enticing profitable offers with the easiest terms will get the business. Yes, they need to protect themselves, but as red bull said it is not on the buyer to keep track of the resale values, or to worry about their success as a reseller.

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: October 22, 2018, 10:03:52 AM »
If you buy with the intention of giving it to the highest bidder, why are they responsible to take it from you if they are losing?
How the hell could they possibly prove that? Also, either you have a guarantee to take a product for x number of days after it was posted or you don't, you don't get to pick and choose who that guarantee applies to. Loyalty in this business is earned by proving that you'll take care of your buyers, it isn't a right that you have as a buying group to demand from them.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: October 22, 2018, 10:04:46 AM »
Oh please do explain that to me.
It's not that complicated.

e·volve

/ēˈvälv/

verb

gerund or present participle: evolving

develop gradually, especially from a simple to a more complex form.

"the company has evolved into a major chemical manufacturer"

synonyms:develop, progress, advance; 

I'm not who you think I am.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: October 22, 2018, 10:05:58 AM »
It's not that complicated.

e·volve

/ēˈvälv/

verb

gerund or present participle: evolving

develop gradually, especially from a simple to a more complex form.

"the company has evolved into a major chemical manufacturer"

synonyms:develop, progress, advance;
Let's not play the dumb card, you knew what I meant.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: October 22, 2018, 10:06:24 AM »
Starting to sound like Amex T&C

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: October 22, 2018, 10:07:30 AM »

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: October 22, 2018, 10:07:56 AM »
Let's not play the dumb card, you knew what I meant.
Undoubtedly I did.

Offline Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1348 on: October 22, 2018, 10:08:36 AM »
Eta:
Problem is lack of defined loyalty and ambiguity about whether a deal will be honored. The ambiguity is the key issue here.
It would even be better to give out status when someone hits let’s say $100k call them a gold member, and then send out a broadcast that for all non-gold members this deal is dead. Or they can be like the other groups and treat everyone the same and stick to the prices or cancel deals for all and that’s it. Idk.

I buy for them but also for 2-3 other groups and I honestly don’t know if they consider me loyal so I’m probably done buying for them unless it’s same day they post.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: October 22, 2018, 10:11:14 AM »
Eta:
Problem is lack of defined loyalty and ambiguity about whether a deal will be honored. The ambiguity is the key issue here.
It would even be better to give out status when someone hits let’s say $100k call them a gold member, and then send out a broadcast that for all non-gold members this deal is dead. Or they can be like the other groups and treat everyone the same and stick to the prices or cancels deals for all and that’s it. Idk.

I buy for them but also for 2-3 other groups and I honestly don’t know if they consider me loyal so I’m probably done buying for them unless it’s same day they post.
I agree. Risk vs reward on these deals is usually not worth it once there is even a small Posibility of an issue.

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: October 22, 2018, 10:12:44 AM »
How the hell could they possibly prove that? Also, either you have a guarantee to take a product for x number of days after it was posted or you don't, you don't get to pick and choose who that guarantee applies to. Loyalty in this business is earned by proving that you'll take care of your buyers, it isn't a right that you have as a buying group to demand from them.
I think it's very simple, you buy a product with the intention to give it to them, they will keep to their responsibility and take it for the guaranteed time frame.
If you are looking for the highest bidder and now they are losing money, or don't want the product, just like any buyer in any business they can deny it from you unless they agreed to take it.

How the will differentiate between who has what intentions, I have no idea, but the concept is right.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: October 22, 2018, 10:14:47 AM »
How the will differentiate between who has what intentions, I have no idea, but the concept is right.
Key words right there. If they are gonna braoadcast this they need to know the answer to that.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: October 22, 2018, 10:15:26 AM »
I think it's very simple, you buy a product with the intention to give it to them, they will keep to their responsibility and take it for the guaranteed time frame.
If you are looking for the highest bidder and now they are losing money, or don't want the product, just like any buyer in any business they can deny it from you unless they agreed to take it.

No it isn't, either you agree to buy a certain product at a certain price or you don't, you can't pick and choose who that guarantee applies to after the fact.

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: October 22, 2018, 10:18:05 AM »
Key words right there. If they are gonna braoadcast this they need to know the answer to that.
They may be relying on honesty, or say an item drops $20 in price, and suddenly someone who didn't buy for 3 months brings 30 of them, we all know what happened.
No it isn't, either you agree to buy a certain product at a certain price or you don't, you can't pick and choose who that guarantee applies to after the fact.
Business doesn't work like that.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: October 22, 2018, 10:19:15 AM »
Business doesn't work like that.
Capitalism works like that, if people can't trust your guarantee, they won't do business with you.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: October 22, 2018, 10:19:57 AM »
They may be relying on honesty, or say an item drops $20 in price, and suddenly someone who didn't buy for 3 months brings 30 of them, we all know what happened.Business doesn't work like that.
Issue is that is now highly subjective to the admins opinion. Hence the reference to Amex T&C.

Offline Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1356 on: October 22, 2018, 10:21:57 AM »
They may be relying on honesty, or say an item drops $20 in price, and suddenly someone who didn't buy for 3 months brings 30 of them, we all know what happened.
USA will send out a broadcast and say don't buy xyz anymore. We may require a proof of purchase at drop off proving you didn't buy it after this message. Or something to that effect. To me that's the best solution.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: October 22, 2018, 10:33:10 AM »
This is what happens with fly-by-night companies. They need a tracking system in place. Then if you don't fulfill your commitment they give you the boot.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: October 22, 2018, 11:48:09 AM »
Eta:
It would even be better to give out status when someone hits let’s say $100k call them a gold member, and then send out a broadcast that for all non-gold members this deal is dead. Or they can be like the other groups and treat everyone the same and stick to the prices or cancel deals for all and that’s it. Idk.

You can always return the item. But it's a pain.

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: October 22, 2018, 11:51:13 AM »
This is what happens with fly-by-night companies. They need a tracking system in place. Then if you don't fulfill your commitment they give you the boot.
They have a tracking system. It can't be to hard to add a plug in to tell them how much you bought and they'll make you put it into the system right away or they won't accept it. On group I buy for on certain deals makes you email them right away if the price drops or if they suspect that they might take a loss on it.