Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1182891 times)

Offline cwh82

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #1380 on: October 23, 2018, 09:30:16 PM »
What's the PS4 drama?

Offline dovidb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: October 23, 2018, 11:03:25 PM »
I have bought for mark/ mys for a while there have been deals that other groups backed out on that mark stood behind and paid out even when other groups backed out of the price they had posted. It’s unfair to expect them to take everyone else’s rejected product I’m sure if someone explains why they haven’t ordered in a while and that they bought this for mys than they will take it.

Offline yakrot

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: October 23, 2018, 11:17:28 PM »
What's the PS4 drama?
Price of the item dropped big time and mys said (I believe fairly) that they won’t take a loss on other groups rejections. Only problem is it’s hard to figure out who is who. I don’t think they were being very strict on taking as I saw a ton in the warehouse

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: October 23, 2018, 11:31:24 PM »
The problem here is how to prevent being a dumping ground, and at the same time not screwing over people who are small time buyers.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: October 23, 2018, 11:35:29 PM »
The problem here is how to prevent being a dumping ground, and at the same time not screwing over people who are small time buyers.

not unless you agree to a deal and it's accepted as a signed contract.  But more important, whats protecting them from offering a deal and another group undercutting and you sell to them?

Thats why it's murky. I once had to return stuff and was not happy

Offline knowitall

• View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: October 23, 2018, 11:49:13 PM »
not unless you agree to a deal and it's accepted as a signed contract.  But more important, whats protecting them from offering a deal and another group undercutting and you sell to them?

Thats why it's murky. I once had to return stuff and was not happy
Which group made you return?

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: October 24, 2018, 01:41:11 AM »
I've only had positive experience with mys so far, but i don't see why they can't just send out an email/WhatsApp 'stop buying x', and ask for proof that it wasn't bought after.

While i never bought for usa, I'm on their group/email list, and it seems this is what they do, and clearly writing that they may ask for proof, and will stand behind their offer until then, cmiiw.

I can sometimes buy a few times per month, and sometimes take a month or two break, depending on my spending needs and deals posted, being a loyal buyer doesn't mean I've committed to buy stuff full time.

(Also take in account people take a break after too many cancellations and their details being flagged)

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #1387 on: October 24, 2018, 03:49:51 AM »
MYS always had the best policy about taking items that devalued, if you paid price X we will pay price X.
Other groups have made you return or price match and won't pay otherwise.
Since MYS had this name, people who bought for other groups and a process dropped, would come to MYS and get the orginal price at MYS' loss.

While i never bought for usa, I'm on their group/email list, and it seems this is what they do, and clearly writing that they may ask for proof, and will stand behind their offer until then, cmiiw.
Doesn't help for someone who bought it on time, but came to dump because his group denied it
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: October 24, 2018, 09:16:49 AM »

What you have demonstrated over this PS4 fiasco, is one thing: ONE CAN NEVER RELY ON MYS.

The funny thing is that USA did the see exact thing with the iPhones a while back. Price dropped and they pulled promised commission based on their terms that  they can change the price any time - which is BS - and forced everyone to drop them off within one day which is obviously unfeasible for many.

And then when they post the wrong links to an item and make you return it on your own expense Bec. of their mistake

It's all the same garbage.

Life is as good as you make it...

Offline knowitall

• View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: October 24, 2018, 09:19:30 AM »
I'm curious what USA said to people who PMed them on October 17 right after they posted "we are no longer accepting PS4"
Does anyone have first hand info?
P.S. I can gaurantee AI or QB would not force a guy to return something, if it's a guy that comes even once every couple months.

Offline knowitall

• View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: October 24, 2018, 09:22:16 AM »

It's all the same garbage.
USA and MYS are in the same ballpark. There groups like AI and QB and maybe also Simtech that are in a different league.

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: October 24, 2018, 09:38:14 AM »
It all comes down to the fact that the buying groups are not here to help you.

Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline knowitall

• View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: October 24, 2018, 09:49:57 AM »
It all comes down to the fact that the buying groups are not here to help you.
This is business, not chessed.
Doesn't mean you can't be honest in business.

Offline Mount Scopus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: October 24, 2018, 10:04:17 AM »
This is business, not chessed.
Doesn't mean you can't be honest in business.
Most businesses are there to look after themselves, but to borrow a line from the USA buying group “it’s a two way street”.

The buying groups need buyers, and buyers need buying groups. If the buying groups start imposing rules that make it unattractive for buyers to buy for them, they lose out as buyer will buy for other groups.

The same is true visa versa. Just as the buyers can choose which group to buy for, the buying groups can choose which buyers to purchase from.
"An elephant for a quarter, is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a quarter”

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1394 on: October 24, 2018, 10:08:41 AM »
I've had nothing but positive experience with MYS - same as with all groups. But I want to keep it that way and be cautious. I can't be buying things without a guarantee they'll be taken. What I don't understand is why they can't use the USA method of guaranteeing each purchase while at the same time, cancel buying after a certain point and requiring proof of purchase if necessary. That system seems perfect and doesn't cause buyers like me to get turned off from ambiguous rules. What is wrong with that system @Markmann20 ?

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: October 24, 2018, 10:10:02 AM »
I've had nothing but positive experience with MYS - same as with all groups. But I want to keep it that way and be cautious. I can't be buying things without a guarantee they'll be taken. What I don't understand is why they can't use the USA method of guaranteeing each purchase while at the same time, cancel buying after a certain point and requiring proof of purchase if necessary. That system seems perfect and doesn't cause buyers like me to get turned off from ambiguous rules. What is wrong with that system @Markmann20 ?
Because if the item devalues and you originally bought it for say USA why should they take it?

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: October 24, 2018, 10:13:46 AM »
Because if the item devalues and you originally bought it for say USA why should they take it?
Because they want it at that price.

Offline a good yeshiva bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: October 24, 2018, 10:15:12 AM »
Because they wanted it at that price.
FTFY

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: October 24, 2018, 10:15:15 AM »
Because they want it at that price.
key words: item devalues.

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: October 24, 2018, 10:16:13 AM »
key words: item devalues.
USA's system allows them to only buy profitable items. They broadcast when it falls and anything bought after that point isn't honored, everything before that point is, no matter who you are.