Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1199502 times)

Offline gingyguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #1680 on: January 25, 2019, 11:55:05 AM »
Now you’re just being a hater. If you would sit with these people for half hour you would understand that they are just incompetent businessmen. Meant-to-be-lifetime-employees who thought they struck gold.

Good, honest, hardworking, uneducated guys.

Honestly, they took “investments” and GUARANTEED the principle (making it a loan). They never understood the difference, and so were never able to turn around and tell anyone- Sorry, this investment failed and you lost your money.
where is the rule that only competent businessmen are capable of making a ponzi scheme? the definition  of a ponzi is using someone elses investment to pay to pay prior investors without having a way to pay the later investors ( without taking newer investors) which seems like thats what happened here
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1681 on: January 25, 2019, 12:23:44 PM »
Wrong re Madoff, wrong re these guys
You keep asserting that without giving any reason to believe that it is reality based.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: January 25, 2019, 12:55:05 PM »
Can we stop arguing whether it's an official, certified Ponzi scheme?

We can all agree, they had a business, it wasn't doing well and to pay off existing obligations, they took advantage of people, who will probably end up with a thousands of debt, bankruptcies, wrecked credit............

Moral of the story? look at the title of this thread.

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: January 25, 2019, 02:31:59 PM »
They clearly write in the email that the last year it became a Ponzi scheme. The money they swiped went to no business operations.

..hey, why was the email deleted?

Maybe their lawyer got involved and suggested that confessing publicly was not a good idea?

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: January 25, 2019, 02:51:27 PM »
Deleting here won't delete it from the inboxes of their victims.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: January 25, 2019, 03:09:03 PM »
Maybe their lawyer got involved and suggested that confessing publicly was not a good idea?
Yeah that was dumb

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #1686 on: January 25, 2019, 03:33:40 PM »
Yeah that was one of the dumb things they did
FTFY
#TYH

Offline EP123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: January 25, 2019, 04:20:35 PM »

I am the one who posted and then deleted. I was torn between loshon horah and trying to warn people for the future. Bh I was not involved but know a few people who are deep in CC debt because of this.

Still not sure if I did the right thing posting it. In my opinion they should have done it in a way to make the chargebacks easy and then file bankruptcy.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1688 on: January 26, 2019, 06:40:29 PM »
I am the one who posted and then deleted. I was torn between loshon horah and trying to warn people for the future. Bh I was not involved but know a few people who are deep in CC debt because of this.

Still not sure if I did the right thing posting it. In my opinion they should have done it in a way to make the chargebacks easy and then file bankruptcy.
I am not really sure where lashon hora comes into the picture here. Lo saamod so dam reyecho on the other hand......
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: January 26, 2019, 07:58:11 PM »
Well you have to look at Ponzi scheme, in general a criminal one is where you have a fraudulent business and keep borrowing to pay the earlier investor's.

Why didn't they just work out a deal with earlier investor's? They were worried about a take over?

While the business may not have been a Ponzi scheme, borrowing from A to pay B is a Ponzi act.

Offline Moshe26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1691 on: January 28, 2019, 06:29:11 PM »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline mendyt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: January 28, 2019, 06:45:11 PM »
And they already removed it

Offline nobiggy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: January 28, 2019, 08:17:40 PM »

I think it should be posted everywhere and every person should know about as this is only one of dozens of people swiping cc's and it's about time people realize people get screwed.

Offline sruly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: January 28, 2019, 08:30:39 PM »
I think it should be posted everywhere and every person should know about as this is only one of dozens of people swiping cc's and it's about time people realize people get screwed.

There’s an ad for a swiping service in the Lakewood daily paper today. We swipe your cards monthly and cut you a check for the points. Apparently the message is not getting out to those who need to hear it...

Offline EP123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: January 28, 2019, 09:45:52 PM »
The most interesting thing that I learned is how easy it is to get people to give you millions on their cards...

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: January 28, 2019, 09:48:38 PM »
Where were they swiping the cards?

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: January 28, 2019, 11:20:40 PM »
I used a friend's cards in my business, 10+ year's ago. Needless to say, when things went wrong with biz, he was down a lot.

We paid him back in full including all interest. But it's really not some place I want to be again.

Has anyone thought of the bigger picture here? Why do people trust companies to pay their cards ?!? Why?!? Where is the legally binding contract that holds said company owners legally responsible and their house as eschrow?!

Besides for 100k in debt, that is what, $30k a year interest?

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: January 28, 2019, 11:29:31 PM »
I used a friend's cards in my business, 10+ year's ago. Needless to say, when things went wrong with biz, he was down a lot.

We paid him back in full including all interest. But it's really not some place I want to be again.

Has anyone thought of the bigger picture here? Why do people trust companies to pay their cards ?!? Why?!? Where is the legally binding contract that holds said company owners legally responsible and their house as eschrow?!

Besides for 100k in debt, that is what, $30k a year interest?
I'm not a Rav, but I had a similar situation where someone used my cards and incurred interest (and was willing to pay the interest) but my Rav said he can only pay me for what he swiped, not any interest. I'm saying this as a PSA, even when you trust each other 100%, watch out for interest cuz u can be on the hook for it.