Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1202229 times)

Offline chbochur

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #1760 on: January 31, 2019, 01:45:27 PM »
yup you can say that . just in the beginning you can possibly say that he thought he had a way out. when you charge the cards the day before you go bust you have a lot less wiggle room
I hear what you're saying but from my understanding he stopped as soon as he realized there was no way he would be able to get out of it.

Offline sruly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: January 31, 2019, 01:58:41 PM »
I hear what you're saying but from my understanding he stopped as soon as he realized there was no way he would be able to get out of it.
he clearly writes that he was swiping in order to pay back and stay afloat and only stopped swiping once his accounts were overdrawn and could not make payments anymore.

Offline chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: January 31, 2019, 02:04:21 PM »
he clearly writes that he was swiping in order to pay back and stay afloat and only stopped swiping once his accounts were overdrawn and could not make payments anymore.
Which is when he realized that he can no longer continue playing this game to stay afloat.
Seems like this will turn into the same conversation of if it's considered a Ponzi scheme
And I have no interest in going there

Offline YesThatsMe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: January 31, 2019, 02:06:50 PM »
Which is when he realized that he can no longer continue playing this game to stay afloat.
Seems like this will turn into the same conversation of if it's considered a Ponzi scheme

+1

Offline sruly

• View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: January 31, 2019, 02:59:42 PM »
Its very different letting someone swipe your cards to buy product (and pay back after it sells) then letting someone swipe your cards to pay other people cards and only pay you back after they swipe a 3rd person's cards.

Offline sruly

• View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: January 31, 2019, 03:00:44 PM »
Unless they all knew he was swiping to pay others back and were willing to take the risk to get the points (or other incentives).

Offline chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: January 31, 2019, 03:01:32 PM »
Its very different letting someone swipe your cards to buy product (and pay back after it sells) then letting someone swipe your cards to pay other people cards and only pay you back after they swipe a 3rd person's cards.
Well I'm not sure what the people who actually swiped were thinking but I knew months ago that this is what he was doing

Offline sruly

• View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: January 31, 2019, 03:04:12 PM »
Well I'm not sure what the people who actually swiped were thinking but I knew months ago that this is what he was doing
Were they getting kickback besides for the 1-2% Cashback?

Offline chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: January 31, 2019, 03:06:16 PM »
Were they getting kickback besides for the 1-2% Cashback?
Not from my knowledge. There were those who invested hard money as well and I don't remember what the return was but it was supposed to be similar to the amounts for swiping a credit card

Offline sruly

• View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: January 31, 2019, 03:07:23 PM »
Not from my knowledge. There were those who invested hard money as well and I don't remember what the return was but it was supposed to be similar to the amounts for swiping a credit card
from the vibes I am getting something seems more fishy then you typical swipe for points situation.

Offline chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: January 31, 2019, 03:09:26 PM »
from the vibes I am getting something seems more fishy then you typical swipe for points situation.
Not sure what you're thinking or where you're trying to go with that

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #1771 on: January 31, 2019, 03:29:30 PM »
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 03:33:05 PM by username »
^^^

Offline rileywiles23

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: January 31, 2019, 04:00:18 PM »
Do you swipe your cards by someone?
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline sruly

• View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: January 31, 2019, 04:30:41 PM »
Do you swipe your cards by someone?
no.

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: January 31, 2019, 07:46:48 PM »
Not sure about that. From the ones I know none of them are calling him a thief. They just feel he made terrible business decisions with their money.
As opposed to the other situation that happened last year in ch which they call him a thief that scammed them of their money

Can you share what happened last year?

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1775 on: January 31, 2019, 08:22:34 PM »
The point isn't whether or not the guy intended to rip people off, but that they were.

I'm glad Dan seems to be writing a piece about this, and IMNSHO it should include buying groups. A look at that thread shows how things can go horribly wrong even with the best intentions. For many buyers, even those who have spent tens of thousands without incident, a loss of $1,000 is mammoth - life altering. A sudden price drop or a large order that isn't received in Delaware can spell disaster for so many.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: January 31, 2019, 08:29:04 PM »
The point isn't whether or not the guy intended to rip people off, but that they were.

I'm glad Dan seems to be writing a piece about this, and IMNSHO it should include buying groups. A look at that thread shows how things can go horribly wrong even with the best intentions. For many buyers, even those who have spent tens of thousands without incident, a loss of $1,000 is mammoth - life altering. A sudden price drop or a large order that isn't received in Delaware can spell disaster for so many.

Totally agree.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: January 31, 2019, 08:30:08 PM »
to put that another way:
even if you're (blinded by the ROI and) decide to go forward, whether with buying groups, day trading, or 1,001 other scams, you need to keep in mind:
never invest/lend what you cannot walk away from and afford to loose. come up with that number and don't deviate. with buying groups it may mean that in the busy BF or prime day season you're not able to maximize, but it'll keep you out of bankruptcy

Offline sruly

• View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: January 31, 2019, 08:30:49 PM »

Totally agree.
I wouldnt say a $1000 loss is life altering for most buyers.

$250k on the other hand.....

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: January 31, 2019, 08:37:07 PM »
Can you share what happened last year?
http://www.ch10.co.il/news/437550/#.XFOiL1VKiUk

@chbochur was that guy playing the market with it?