Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1199866 times)

Online chbochur

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #1820 on: February 01, 2019, 11:23:54 AM »

[For informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.]

+1

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: February 01, 2019, 12:16:23 PM »
This is 2 different stories, 13m guy is from may 2018, this is 4m.

If they say it was unauthorized they will file fraud charges against those that used it.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: February 01, 2019, 12:45:38 PM »
To be honest I don't know if anyone is totally sure as to what he did with it.
(This coming from people who lost over a million dollars in that story)

Mutual funds, he gambled it all away. Very brilliant guy from what I heard but compulsive gambler. Sad

Online chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: February 01, 2019, 12:46:49 PM »
Mutual funds, he gambled it all away. Very brilliant guy from what I heard but compulsive gambler. Sad
I've heard many rumors as well but there is no factual answer from my knowledge

Offline sruly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: February 01, 2019, 12:52:14 PM »
this is 4m.
that's supposedly the ammount just on CC's

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: February 02, 2019, 11:01:05 PM »
Seems like a factual question subject to dispute. Additionally, all prior charges were only authorized with the expectation that the cardholder would receive the reimbursement to make the applicable credit card payments. Seems worth a shot at least before resorting to bankruptcy protection.

[For informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.]
I am no lawyer, however bankruptcy (maybe even chargeback) might open a whole new can of legal worms, 1) fraudulently claiming income in order to be approved for a credit card. 2) tax evasion for not declaring income for points sold (if that’s what they did) etc.

As mentioned, all impacted should get competent legal help before they make their next move.

As an aside, heard from a relative who has several friends that were impacted by this event that the victims are coordinating/in touch with the lawyer for the perpetrator, as mentioned I am no lawyer but that does not seem like a good idea, with the lawyer being obviously conflicted.

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: February 02, 2019, 11:31:38 PM »
I am no lawyer, however bankruptcy (maybe even chargeback) might open a whole new can of legal worms, 1) fraudulently claiming income in order to be approved for a credit card. 2) tax evasion for not declaring income for points sold (if that’s what they did) etc.

As mentioned, all impacted should get competent legal help before they make their next move.

As an aside, heard from a relative who has several friends that were impacted by this event that the victims are coordinating/in touch with the lawyer for the perpetrator, as mentioned I am no lawyer but that does not seem like a good idea, with the lawyer being obviously conflicted.
why in the world would they coordinate with the other side's lawyer??
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: February 02, 2019, 11:57:05 PM »
I was wondering the same thing when I heard about it.
Apparently they are holding out the possibility of being able to repay the capital, so they are trying to prevent the victims from filing claims and forcing them into bankruptcy, which would cause them to have to liquidate all merchandise at pennies on the dollars. Which is what their lawyer is presenting to the victims.

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: February 03, 2019, 12:22:59 AM »
Apparently they are holding out the possibility of being able to repay the capital, so they are trying to prevent the victims from filing claims and forcing them into bankruptcy, which would cause them to have to liquidate all merchandise at pennies on the dollars. Which is what their lawyer is presenting to the victims.

This is a BIG mistake. Tell your relative to tell his friends that they should NEVER take advice from an opposing party's lawyer. The lawyer for the merchant can be gearing up to protect his client from any lawsuits brought on by the victims, and can use any and all information the victims provide against them.

They must obtain their OWN counsel and have their own attorneys reach out to the merchant's attorney.

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: February 03, 2019, 01:33:34 AM »
This is a BIG mistake. Tell your relative to tell his friends that they should NEVER take advice from an opposing party's lawyer. The lawyer for the merchant can be gearing up to protect his client from any lawsuits brought on by the victims, and can use any and all information the victims provide against them.

They must obtain their OWN counsel and have their own attorneys reach out to the merchant's attorney.

I told him that as soon as I heard it.

Online chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: February 03, 2019, 01:42:01 AM »
Without getting into details the people the firm they are using are very professional and are working with both sides together.

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: February 03, 2019, 01:47:10 AM »
Without getting into details the people the firm they are using are very professional and are working with both sides together.
Which side is paying? That is who the lawyers are responsive to. When the interest of both sides start competing (which will inevitably happen) who’s side do you think the lawyers will represent?
Hence everyone effected should have their own counsel.

Online chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: February 03, 2019, 01:50:21 AM »
Which side is paying? That is who the lawyers are responsive to. When the interest of both sides start competing (which will inevitably happen) who’s side do you think the lawyers will represent?
Hence everyone effected should have their own counsel.
True but they only get paid if it works out for both sides

Offline YesThatsMe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: February 03, 2019, 02:05:01 AM »

And you said they were professional lawyers? Lol

Online chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: February 03, 2019, 02:10:22 AM »
And you said they were professional lawyers? Lol
Never called them lawyers just professionals:)

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #1835 on: February 03, 2019, 02:17:23 AM »
Mutual funds?Chose an investment vehicle, not much of a gamble, unless he got caught up in the latest severe downturn. Should have traded futures, at least if it worked his way he would have made a fortune.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: February 03, 2019, 03:07:50 AM »

A competent lawyer would evaluate the possibility of working out a deal and recouping as much as possible before forcing the merchant into bankruptcy. Does not change the fact that the lawyer is working for the person that he bills and willl do all that he can to protect his clients interest, others be damned.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: February 03, 2019, 08:49:25 AM »

This is a continuation of the scam and fraud.
The perp is further taking advantage of the lack of sophistication of his victims.

He is controlling the process to his advantage. Terrible

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: February 03, 2019, 09:02:24 AM »

How can this work out for both sides?

Does the merchant have enough business assets that if sold would cover at least half of the credit card debt?

If not, does the merchant have personal assets that he and his lawyer will inevitably move to protect? Does he own a home? A car?

There is a strong possibility that his lawyers are simply staving off the victims for long enough so that he can move all of his personal assets out of the reach of creditors.

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: February 03, 2019, 09:37:16 AM »
Never called them lawyers just professionals:)
Key words here...