Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1182398 times)

Offline YesThatsMe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #2000 on: February 12, 2019, 10:50:21 AM »
From what I’m hearing from people is that it’s not over.... they used to pay in full every statement and now they’re making just minimum payments and they claim they’re not doing so well in their business but they hope to straighten out.....  also they’re didn’t run away and they’re picking up phone calls (at least so far)........ let’s hope they STRAIGHTEN OUT......!

+1

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2001 on: February 12, 2019, 10:52:15 AM »
Wow
Still no write up on DDMS

Maybe these stories are not true ?
It took a long time to get a full story on sungames and farmers. I have lots of random pieces of various stories, but nothing coherent enough for a full post. Altogether it seems like a book could be written, but most people are still hoping for payback and feel that writing about it will be bad.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline SearchGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: February 12, 2019, 10:53:44 AM »
I think rather dispute than paying minimum!

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: February 12, 2019, 10:55:03 AM »
From what I’m hearing from people is that it’s not over.... they used to pay in full every statement and now they’re making just minimum payments and they claim they’re not doing so well in their business but they hope to straighten out.....  also they’re didn’t run away and they’re picking up phone calls (at least so far)........ let’s hope they STRAIGHTEN OUT......!
Are they paying the interest also?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2004 on: February 12, 2019, 11:07:03 AM »
I think rather dispute than paying minimum!
What are you disputing? There's evidence that people authorized charges.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sruly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: February 12, 2019, 11:20:49 AM »
but product/services were never received.
Not much too lose by trying (except they all think that somehow they will still be paid back).

Offline SearchGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: February 12, 2019, 11:28:28 AM »
Didn't receive the goods

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #2009 on: February 12, 2019, 11:53:44 AM »
TD:LR version?
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Baruch

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: February 12, 2019, 11:56:53 AM »
Are they paying the interest also?
If there's no heter iska, it's a major ribbis problem

Offline sruly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Online skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: February 12, 2019, 12:14:52 PM »
TD:LR version?
As best as I can tell, a loan gemach was used to facilitate the cc charges from the 'lenders' to the 'borrower'. One of the 'lenders' started to dispute upwards of $400k that I guess he was never repaid, and the loan gemach filed against that 'lender' to prevent any further chargebacks (and I assume to force a reversal of said chargebacks). The whole thing is crazy.

Fascinating (and sad) that the 'swiper/borrower' appears to have insulated themselves somewhat from future problems by not processing the cc swipes themselves.

ETA: Seems like there were other facilitating entities between this 'lender' and the 'swiper/borrower' as well, not sure if there are separate cases about those.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:19:41 PM by skyguy918 »

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: February 12, 2019, 12:19:50 PM »
As best as I can tell, a loan gemach was used to facilitate the cc charges from the 'lenders' to the 'borrower'. One of the 'lenders' started to dispute upwards of $400k that I guess he was never repaid, and the loan gemach filed against that 'lender' to prevent any further chargebacks (and I assume to force a reversal of said chargebacks). The whole thing is crazy.

Fascinating (and sad) that the 'swiper/borrower' appears to have insulated themselves somewhat from future problems by not processing the cc swipes themselves.

I didn't read all but per gemach affidavit, the borrower paid the lender and has proof

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: February 12, 2019, 12:25:48 PM »
I didn't read all but per gemach affidavit, the borrower paid the lender and has proof
Yeah, I saw that. But it seems unlikely that's the whole story.

Offline rileywiles23

• View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: February 12, 2019, 12:27:15 PM »

ETA: Seems like there were other facilitating entities between this 'lender' and the 'swiper/borrower' as well, not sure if there are separate cases about those.

Borrower paid the lender but there were other facilitating entities between this 'lender' and the 'swiper/borrower' as well that weren't paid so I think the lender disputed original charges Bec. of that.
Life is as good as you make it...

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: February 12, 2019, 12:31:18 PM »

Borrower paid the lender but there were other facilitating entities between this 'lender' and the 'swiper/borrower' as well that weren't paid so I think the lender disputed original charges Bec. of that.
What other entities? It says the 'lender' allowed the gemach to charge his cc. The gemach then gave the money to the 'borrower'. The 'borrower' alleges that he repaid the 'lender' directly. But if that were true, why dispute? It's possible that there were many other charges the 'lender' allowed, and on balance the 'borrower' still owes the 'lender', so the 'lender' just picked random charges to dispute. That seems a lot more likely than the 'lender' has been repaid in full and randomly decides to do chargebacks.

Also, I glanced at the other exhibits. Seems pretty clear that the 'borrower' got a lawyer to file on behalf of several different intermediaries, against any 'lender' that did chargebacks.

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: February 12, 2019, 12:56:18 PM »
can someone summarize for the non lawyers among us?

+1  :-\
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.