Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1182920 times)

Offline Chief Rabbi of New York

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #2200 on: February 18, 2019, 04:19:29 PM »
When did I say that?

What I said was:
Everyone should definitely be aware of the swipe for points risks. I'm 100% for that.

again, you are not bringing any facts and you say you know what is going on....
facts were given before, it was posted on crownheights...
now are you saying that post is false ?
Show Some Respect for Me, I am The Chief Rabbi of New York :)

Offline Password

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: February 18, 2019, 04:25:46 PM »
again, you are not bringing any facts and you say you know what is going on....
facts were given before, it was posted on crownheights...
now are you saying that post is false ?

I never said that post was false.

The only reason I posted here was to clarify information about one particular poster. That issue has since been resolved, so I have nothing else to add.
The whole story will come out in due time.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2202 on: February 18, 2019, 04:30:01 PM »
Honestly maybe a charidy campaign would be a good idea. And Dan can promote it in his DDMS post warning. The fan base will give, and relatives of all involved will give.
Where would the money go?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline YesThatsMe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: February 18, 2019, 04:31:58 PM »
Where would the money go?

Victims, obviously. I'm sure plenty of them qualify for Tzedaka at this point, unfortunately.

• View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: February 18, 2019, 04:35:39 PM »
Victims, obviously. I'm sure plenty of them qualify for Tzedaka at this point, unfortunately.

no need, @Password said that it might be worked out
we just have to wait it out. people should ignore the interest that they are building up and just hope for the best

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2205 on: February 18, 2019, 04:39:02 PM »
A friend of mine was stopped by a family member from swiping >150k at one of these places just a week or two ago. Awareness saves people.

@Dan maybe just make the shortest post ever. No details needed. Just say:

NEVER SWIPE YOUR CREDIT CARD IN ORDER TO BE REIMBURSED AN AMOUNT YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO LOSE!

Proposed subtitle:
Even for the most honest and trustworthy people, unexpected things beyond anyone's control can happen, that will make that reimbursement get seriously delayed (possibly indefinitely).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:07:12 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Password

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: February 18, 2019, 04:42:24 PM »
no need, @Password said that it might be worked out
we just have to wait it out. people should ignore the interest that they are building up and just hope for the best

Please show me where I said that. Stop putting words in my mouth.

You seem to have some vendetta against me because I don't want to give you the gossip you so desperately crave.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: February 18, 2019, 04:43:28 PM »

How will that wake people up to future risks?

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: February 18, 2019, 04:44:07 PM »
When did I say that?

What I said was:
Everyone should definitely be aware of the swipe for points risks. I'm 100% for that.

DDF is not a courtroom to warrant knowing all of the details and facts in the case. Nor is it acceptable to voyeuristicly want to know all the juicy gossip about the pain that others are going through. On the other hand, the more details that are known, the more real the story becomes to others, and therefore the more effective a deterrent it becomes to others who are about to do the same.

I think that enough of the story has been told here to raise awareness of the risks of credit card swiping as well as the risks of putting your nest egg with a couple of well meaning guys who can boast of amazing profits on a line of product,  but who’s lack of accurate financials is telling a very different story than what is really taking place.

However, DDF has a limited readership, and is probably underrepresented by those who need to here it most; people with limited financial literacy and sometimes limited online access. It seems clear that the principles involved are well meaning people who got it over their heads to something they might not even fully have understood. I’m sure they would want to educate others to avoid what they are going through. If the parties that are involved can get out a story that is detailed enough to make it real without sacrificing the interests of all involved, in a form that can be disseminated more widely they would be doing the public a great service.

In just that past few weeks I was approached by someone for advice on how to connect to guys at BMG to apply/ swipe credit cards to fund the operations of a (non- Amazon type) business that seems to have a fairly decent track record and business plan. I sent him the link to this thread and told him it’s not a good idea. He’s a great guy, and they business he was looking to be an intermediary for seemed sound but I’m sure some of the others that people lost everything on did as well.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 04:48:33 PM by cmey »

Offline yakrot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #2209 on: February 18, 2019, 04:45:16 PM »

What I did take from what @password didn’t say was that he never said the business owners did not take money from one business to help another without the investors knowledge. He came to say the only thing that he is able to which was that some of the info is not untrue but that the poster of said info can not know 100%

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: February 18, 2019, 04:46:50 PM »
@Dan maybe just make the shortest post ever. No details needed. Just say: NEVER SWIPE YOUR CREDIT CARD IN ORDER TO BE REIMBURSED AN AMOUNT YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO LOSE!

Proposed subtitle: Even for the most honest and trustworthy people, unexpected things beyond anyone's control can happen, that will make that reimbursement get seriously delayed (possibly indefinitely).
Who gets the HT?

Offline Password

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: February 18, 2019, 04:48:46 PM »
What I did take from what @Password didn’t say was that he never said the business owners did not take money from one business to help another without the investors knowledge. He came to say the only thing that he is able to which was that some of the info is not untrue but that the poster of said info can not know 100%

Thank you.

So you're here for more than just the popcorn  :P

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2212 on: February 18, 2019, 04:48:50 PM »
Who gets the HT?

If he uses my proposed language, I guess I do, but the main thing is that the message should be out (possibly stickied, or BUMPed on a regular periodic basis).
-- Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: February 18, 2019, 04:55:53 PM »

You seem to have some vendetta against me because I don't want to give you the gossip you so desperately crave.

relax
you keep on saying for everyone to  :-X when people are out $$$$$$
either provide facts or move on

Offline Password

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: February 18, 2019, 05:04:50 PM »
relax
you keep on saying for everyone to  :-X when people are out $$$$$$
either provide facts or move on
Anyone who was personally involved and has first hand information is more than welcome to speak out. It's the rumors and third hand information that should be stopped.
Of course. If someone has hard facts, they are more than welcome to discuss and talk about it here.

The only reason I posted here was to clarify information about one particular poster. That issue has since been resolved, so I have nothing else to add.
The whole story will come out in due time.

Offline Shotguns

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: February 18, 2019, 05:14:06 PM »
According to AJ Weissman's linked in page,  GSN Holdings, currently owns and operates, The Buzz of Brooklyn and Boro Park. Sterling Electronics of Crown Heights, and is partnered with DB Electronics of Lakewood.

linked-in page, https://www.linkedin.com/in/a-j-weissman-2abb19139/

Will all these stores also go under soon?

Offline Shotguns

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: February 18, 2019, 05:21:37 PM »
GSN Holdings also seems to include the trucking company mentioned in a previous post.

https://www.quicktransportsolutions.com/truckingcompany/newjersey/gsn-holdings-llc-usdot-2922427.php

Depending on how these businesses were structured assets in one affiliate may be protected from liabilities of the sister corporation, although if the owners used the same accounts and treated all the companies as one business, there may be no corporate protection.

Offline YesThatsMe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: February 18, 2019, 05:22:25 PM »
According to AJ Weissman's linked in page,  GSN Holdings, currently owns and operates, The Buzz of Brooklyn and Boro Park. Sterling Electronics of Crown Heights, and is partnered with DB Electronics of Lakewood.

linked-in page, https://www.linkedin.com/in/a-j-weissman-2abb19139/

Will all these stores also go under soon?

He sure is gonna get a fat "people are looking at your LinkedIn profile" after this lol

Offline sillypainter

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: February 18, 2019, 05:31:53 PM »

CRONY is a troll from toll land, just ignore him.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: February 18, 2019, 05:34:12 PM »
Depending on how these businesses were structured assets in one affiliate may be protected from liabilities of the sister corporation, although if the owners used the same accounts and treated all the companies as one business, there may be no corporate protection.

That's something many people fail to pay attention to. If things get serious enough and go to a court of law, the court will not respect the corporate veil, if the owners didn't!
-- Dan