Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1202914 times)

Offline Ephcc90

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline YesThatsMe

• View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #2281 on: February 23, 2019, 09:31:59 PM »
True to an extent. In your (self-identified somewhere else) community, it's unfortunately true to a degree. But that's not the whole BP. Maybe you live in Willy.

No, Lakewood. And am currently sitting in a 3 block radius of Shreicher. Wtvr.

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: February 23, 2019, 09:32:23 PM »
Do people realize that the logical next step is the banks and FBI getting involved against the victims for fraudulent income declarations?
Do the “experts” here think there’s really a chance that the victims can sit?

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: February 23, 2019, 09:42:33 PM »
Wow.  I PITY YOU.

This S***** sure lives in an expensive house (Zestimate $2,094,259, would sell for $3MM), and his kids are all mesudar. But good luck, the house is definitely in an LLC (probably retro transferred) and you won't see a penny there. Other than that he prob has 0 assets (like 90% of the people in Chareidy America who own a house and some brand name clothes and sit in seat 3C).

Oy, we have come a far way since the camps. Our grandparents who came to America found a land where opportunity abounded. They were happy to work and live w/o the fear of the last 2,000 years.

The next generation learned to take materialism to a whole new level, becoming the ultimate Americans. And generation 3 knows no answer other than debt. "Everyone has it" "What am I, a neb" "Yoish I love it I need it" etc. etc. etc.

"דרייט קרעדיט קארדס" is in Chareidy America today considered normal. How can a community which shuns the professions ever keep the Champ-Des-Elysees which 13th Ave has become busy? Pay for leases (-another form of debt) on Escalades and Navigators? Fly to Israel in first and stay at the WAJ? Make Chasuna for $200K a side? Buy $5K Shtreimels and Sheitels every 2-3 years?

Credit cards, LOC's, triple mortgages, Amazon Loans, and now - screwing the rest.

The Chareidy Tri State communites are the Soddom of our times. Everything is money money money. Kavod Kavod Kavod. SAD.
There's tons of massive financial success in the community. (And it's not by being professionals.) I fully agree that the gashmius/materialistic values is our biggest problem, but is driven by financial success.

There are theives as well, and I'm sure some who borrow to live the lifestyle, but they can't be the majority.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 05:56:14 PM by jj1000 »

Offline boruchmig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: February 23, 2019, 09:46:51 PM »
There's tons of massive financial success in the community. (And it's not by being professionals.) I fully agree that the gashmius/materialistic values is our biggest problem, but is driven by financial success.

There are theives as well, and I'm sure some who borrow to live the lifestyle, but they can't be the majority.
"גלייב מיר, איך ווייס וואס איך רעד."
One quote the the thieves often use

Offline knowitall

• View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: February 23, 2019, 09:50:06 PM »

True, most people don’t steal to live their life in luxury, but as a community we got a HUGE problem keeping up with the Joneses/Schwartzes
What % of the frum community do you think lives within its means?

Offline YesThatsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: February 23, 2019, 09:52:51 PM »
"גלייב מיר, איך ווייס וואס איך רעד."
One quote the the thieves often use

Oh yeah...

Offline YesThatsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: February 23, 2019, 09:54:12 PM »
True, most people don’t steal to live their life in luxury, but as a community we got a HUGE problem keeping up with the Joneses/Schwartzes

I'd be surprised if it's more than 25%. Tuition and housing alone knock out most people in round 1.

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: February 23, 2019, 09:57:47 PM »
Oy, we have come a far way since the camps. Our grandparents who came to America found a land where opportunity abounded. They were happy to work and live w/o the fear of the last 2,000 years.

If our grandparents had easier ways of making a living, what makes you think they would take the regular/harder way?

The issue here is that people don’t understand that credit card lines of credit is not free money and it’s not your money. If those same people were asked to loan hard cash they either would:

1. Not do it
2. Not loan nearly as much
3. Not loan without doing serious due diligence and ensuring that proper contracts are in place.

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: February 23, 2019, 10:07:06 PM »
Do people realize that the logical next step is the banks and FBI getting involved against the victims for fraudulent income declarations?

I hope not.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/lie-about-income-credit-card-application-190558997.html

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: February 23, 2019, 10:07:45 PM »
To make points and rewards, people I know swiped their ink card at Toners.com and got 5p per dollar, they gave $200K made 1M points and sold for $15K every 6 weeks.... so they didn’t ask for what they’re swiping.... making $15K every 6 weeks makes you addicted to swipe more.

Someone doing 15k in profit every six weeks for a few years could be out 500k and still come out ahead....

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: February 23, 2019, 10:10:59 PM »
Not everyone has fraudulent income claims. I have total CL about 5x my declared income

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: February 23, 2019, 10:14:11 PM »
What percentage of the community are wealthy? Higher then most people think.

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: February 23, 2019, 10:15:25 PM »

+1
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Online JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: February 23, 2019, 10:17:42 PM »
Someone doing 15k in profit every six weeks for a few years could be out 500k and still come out ahead....
Explain please

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: February 23, 2019, 10:17:48 PM »
Unless there is undeclared income and then the IRS will want its share. Additionally by Madoff those that came out ahead were required to return their profits to the victims.

Offline cmey

• View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: February 23, 2019, 10:20:26 PM »
Explain please

15k worth of points every six weeks = $120k a year. Some were doing this over five years. That’s over $500k profit...

Offline PSA

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: February 23, 2019, 10:25:26 PM »
This is what makes the whole thing even scarier to me. It sounds like there was a secondary market for credits card swipes. Were the credit card swipes being bundled and sold down the line, like in the secondary mortgage market?  If that is true the  credit cards funds could have ended up anywhere; floundering businesses, hard money lenders, etc. making things that much more complicated to unravel.
No. They weren't. Was all used for his actual business or paying his vendors

Offline knowitall

• View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: February 23, 2019, 10:27:03 PM »
Unless there is undeclared income and then the IRS will want its share. Additionally by Madoff those that came out ahead were required to return their profits to the victims.
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-recovering-madoff-money/

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: February 23, 2019, 10:42:00 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-recovering-madoff-money/
Iirc the Wilpons (owners of the Mets) were required to pay back a large amount of money which led to them being unable to properly run the Mets and they had to sell equity to raise funds.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 10:56:04 PM by joey89 »