Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1182396 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #2340 on: February 24, 2019, 10:59:29 AM »
 anyone out $100k has learnt their lesson, they don’t need our musar
Oh don’t worry. There will be more. Whether it’s a cc farm, Ponzi, MLM, swipe for points, or some new scam, many in the frum community:
1) blindly trust anyone with peyos.
2) don’t view cc swiping as lending (& think u can dispute anything)
3) are just plain naive
?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: February 24, 2019, 11:03:55 AM »
They risked the credit of others and took the profits for themselves? Am I understanding that correctly? "they" don't sound very much like victims if they were taking from others. They sound more like scammers.
*speculating* CC farms, some of them took their “clientele’s” risk and exposure more seriously then others.

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: February 24, 2019, 11:11:03 AM »
?
Those that got burned won’t do it again, (most probably will never be in position to be able to do it again)
However there are constantly potential new victims

Offline Mootkim

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: February 24, 2019, 11:14:40 AM »
Those that got burned won’t do it again, (most probably will never be in position to be able to do it again)
However there are constantly potential new victims
Doing it again may be the easiest way out of the hole they are in.

Offline Mootkim

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: February 24, 2019, 11:16:31 AM »
Hence the reason for constant reminders/waarnings.

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: February 24, 2019, 11:19:59 AM »
Most will never get a CC again let alone a CL worth churning. The CC companies have long memories.

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: February 24, 2019, 11:21:47 AM »
You’re joking, right? This is such a puny insignificant % of the market... there are billions of dollars being swiped annually in the frum community
Do you actually have any idea of a rough estimate on how many points are sold a year? My guess would be that you have no clue although you're welcome to enlighten us.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Online shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: February 24, 2019, 11:23:25 AM »
Most will never get a CC again let alone a CL worth churning. The CC companies have long memories.
I know people that settled for ¢10 on the dollar with Chase and were able open new Chase cards a few years later.

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: February 24, 2019, 11:26:53 AM »
I know people that settled for ¢10 on the dollar with Chase and were able open new Chase cards a few years later.
A few hundred k?

Offline JACKBLUE

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: February 24, 2019, 11:27:45 AM »
7 years probably. No?

Offline JACKBLUE

• View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: February 24, 2019, 11:28:04 AM »

Online shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: February 24, 2019, 11:30:08 AM »
A few hundred k?
Under 100K
7 years probably. No?
About 3 years

BTW, they received 1099s...

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: February 24, 2019, 11:34:09 AM »
Under 100KAbout 3 years

BTW, they received 1099s...
As stated I don’t think swiping can help (most of) the current victims out of their mess. Warnings can help reduce the impact future schemes will have on new individuals.

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: February 24, 2019, 11:39:47 AM »
One involves a lighting company - whom the owner is actually a relative of the Toner guy
Does that mean these two stories are one?

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: February 24, 2019, 12:03:17 PM »
That's better than a lot of them do, but they gain the most from the seminars as they learn to optimize their rewards. Of which they have a ton.

I know many wealthy that get 2+ points per dollar value by redeeming for full first class

But I know plenty that will sell 500k points at a shot

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2355 on: February 24, 2019, 12:04:41 PM »
15k worth of points every six weeks = $120k a year. Some were doing this over five years. That’s over $500k profit...
I'd argue the likelihood of someone (let alone many someone's) earning $15K every 6 weeks in this whole scam to be verrrry low.

That's $750K on a 2% cash back card (find me the one that can sustain that velocity) or something like a $1M+ on a BP (depending on rate they sell MR), also something that's unlikely.

And... For the person who thought it was a good idea to non-recourse loan $10M annually, to a person they didn't truly know, for products (or services?) unknown... Yikes.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2356 on: February 24, 2019, 12:07:49 PM »
Lol. It's cost money to live. Who said he had another job? He made $120k a year, and spent 120 a year. Chances are he isn't stashing 500k.
Not sure how that changes anything... Assuming that math is correct, he still earned 500K+. Whether or not he has that in a savings account or not, doesn't mean he didn't make it.

A person who is out $500K but managed to only earn $10K is much worse off.

Tho in both scenarios, bankruptcy is almost a certainty.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: February 24, 2019, 12:10:11 PM »
I know many wealthy that get 2+ points per dollar value by redeeming for full first class

But I know plenty that will sell 500k points at a shot
"full" first class implies revenue. And, no, they're not getting more than 2cpp per point.

The only way to do better is to xfer to airlines, in which case its not revenue.

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: February 24, 2019, 12:30:30 PM »
I've spoken to millionaires and billionaires with big time companies on my last several seminars. They aren't the ones selling points and flooding the market.

I deal with wealthy people on a regular basis (sadly, I am not one of them  :-[)and they rarely use credit cards. Their preferred payment method is either old-fashioned check, cash or ACH.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2359 on: February 24, 2019, 12:49:44 PM »
Yes
Makes much more sense. So the people left with the debt were the victims of the farmers who made a pittance while the farmers destroyed them and made 120k off them.
Feelings don't care about your facts