Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1182857 times)

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #2421 on: February 24, 2019, 06:13:02 PM »
I think it's pretty good.
DD: We aim for pretty good.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mendy from lakewood

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, National EE, Hertz Presidential.
« Reply #2422 on: February 24, 2019, 06:13:40 PM »
Any critiques before I post?
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/
very well written- it seems that you do not want to emphasize on the story that just happened but unfortunately I believe this won’t sway people without more details of the actual story that makes it sound more realistic.
"Respect is earned, Honesty is appreciated, Trust is gained, Loyalty is returned"

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: February 24, 2019, 06:13:52 PM »
DD: We aim for pretty good.
I'll take royalty checks via PP.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2424 on: February 24, 2019, 06:14:39 PM »
very well written- it seems that you do not want to emphasize on the story that just happened but unfortunately I believe this won’t sway people without more details of the actual story that makes it sound more realistic.
No idea what you're talking about. Nor do I know exact details, not that I think it matters too much.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mendy from lakewood

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, National EE, Hertz Presidential.
« Reply #2425 on: February 24, 2019, 06:18:00 PM »
No idea what you're talking about. Nor do I know exact details, not that I think it matters too much.
I feel lots of people know these warnings but think that in their specific arrangement it won’t happen (too big to fail, Guy is heimish cousin, he gives lots of tzedaka etc...) with more details people will realize that these guys were not necessarily trying to scam and maybe good people at heart but...
"Respect is earned, Honesty is appreciated, Trust is gained, Loyalty is returned"

Online flyingace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: February 24, 2019, 06:18:16 PM »
I hope this is not too detailed to get the attention of the media/law enforcement (if they otherwise wouldn't have known).
Do you think there is any reason to ask a shaila about posting this?

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: February 24, 2019, 06:21:57 PM »
I feel lots of people know these warnings but think that in their specific arrangement it won’t happen (too big to fail, Guy is heimish cousin, he gives lots of tzedaka etc...) with more details people will realize that these guys were not necessarily trying to scam and maybe good people at heart but...
I don't really think any post is going to stop someone like that. The point of the post is to stop someone who wouldn't realize what's going on otherwise and make them think twice about letting people swipe their cards. I think the post accomplishes that the way it is.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: February 24, 2019, 06:22:12 PM »
Do you think there is any reason to ask a shaila about posting this?
Why?

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2429 on: February 24, 2019, 06:23:05 PM »
"וידבר ה' אל משה אחרי מות שני בני אהרן וגו'" - מה ת"ל היה רבי אלעזר בן עזריה מושלו משל לחולה שנכנס אצלו רופא אמר לו אל תאכל צונן ואל תשכב בטחב בא אחר ואמר לו אל תאכל צונן ואל תשכב בטחב שלא תמות כדרך שמת פלוני זה זרזו יותר מן הראשון לכך נאמר אחרי מות שני בני אהרן
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #2430 on: February 24, 2019, 06:25:30 PM »
(too big to fail, Guy is heimish cousin, he gives lots of tzedaka etc...) ...
but once they see this story where the guy was also frum heimish , gave Tzedaka etc they will at the very least think much longer and harder about giving over their CC... And if they still decide to swipe - well you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. No matter how many details you put in some people will always make stupid decisions. The point of the article is for those that are either unaware of the risks or people that know how to recognize the truth
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 06:37:03 PM by gingyguy »
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #2431 on: February 24, 2019, 06:27:24 PM »
"וידבר ה' אל משה אחרי מות שני בני אהרן וגו'" - מה ת"ל היה רבי אלעזר בן עזריה מושלו משל לחולה שנכנס אצלו רופא אמר לו אל תאכל צונן ואל תשכב בטחב בא אחר ואמר לו אל תאכל צונן ואל תשכב בטחב שלא תמות כדרך שמת פלוני זה זרזו יותר מן הראשון לכך נאמר אחרי מות שני בני אהרן
seems to me this is exactly Dan s article . Don't get screwed like these two fellows did
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #2432 on: February 24, 2019, 06:30:11 PM »
I have several close Friends who've been begging me for years for my cards, they were all trustworthy, and they ALL messed up, fortunately I knew better but a whole lot of people are drowning in a pool of debt and stress ever since
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: February 24, 2019, 06:35:22 PM »
You have to mention buying groups. People should never buy (lend) more then they can afford to risk.
They are a close cousin to other businesses who are outright borrowing cash.
It is a matter of time before one of them busts leaving hundreds out anywhere from 1-100k

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: February 24, 2019, 06:36:02 PM »
You have to mention buying groups. People should never buy (lend) more then they can afford to risk.
That's what he's referring to by "goods" IINM.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: February 24, 2019, 06:37:52 PM »
That's what he's referring to by "goods" IINM.
Remiza works for chakima. Not for these folks

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: February 24, 2019, 06:38:48 PM »
Remiza works for chakima. Not for these folks
OK.

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #2437 on: February 24, 2019, 06:40:13 PM »
one of the big askanim in the tristate area recently said the worse thing you can do to your close "friend" or "relative" is to hand him your cc
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: February 24, 2019, 06:40:41 PM »
OK.
The problem with talking explicitly about buying groups is that so many people do it that it may just weaken the message as a whole, not to mention that it's far less risky than letting your card be swiped by someone.

Offline SBS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: February 24, 2019, 06:41:59 PM »
I won't hide behind a new name. I will just post my story.

In short, when I was a bochur I was approached by a friend of one of my siblings who asked me for my CC. He already used my brothers' CC and always paid on time. I later found out he would buy electronics, smuggle them into a certain country, sell them to a local distributor and then pay back. For over 2 years it worked fine. On average he swiped about 18k a month and then paid back after the CC closed.

Came the day when one of his containers was seized by customs, and he lost a lot of money, and didn't have how to pay back.

I was stuck with 18k CC debt, none of it my own spending. I was paying minimum payments (had no money, kollel salary), and waiting to see what will happen.

The guy never ignored my calls, but he also did not have money. He also got married, got a job and barely made ends meet.

I found an ad in one of the religious newspapers for "angels of debt", they took the case, told me what to do, I settled all the CC's for 25/30%, fried my credit for 7 years, I borrowed from my parents to pay it, and over the next 5 years I got paid back from this guy whatever the settlement amounts were (i was not going to charge him a penny more than i paid, nor was i going to dispute a charge which was legally made).

Today i still cannot open CC's with chase, Citi and Barclays, they have me blacklisted, only Amex and Capital One.

I wasn't scammed. But I learned my lesson. And I did not end up losing too much BH.
Available for Sha'alos