Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1183362 times)

Offline Hershelsdeals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #2460 on: February 24, 2019, 07:45:01 PM »
A school in Lakewood sent out a letter to all parents with a form to fill out. Their ss numbers etc and it says that they will be helping the school by allowing them to sell their points. Insane
Insane! Which school?

Offline Menachem613

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: February 24, 2019, 07:45:22 PM »
Well that's not really true, you are selling them goods, that has very different legal ramifications.

But they (MYS) hold your money for 2 weeks. That’s an interest free loan in my book.

Offline yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: February 24, 2019, 07:54:17 PM »
But they (MYS) hold your money for 2 weeks. That’s an interest free loan in my book.
Nothing wrong with lending money interest free. Only issue is when there's no security or even documentation

Offline ayman

• View Profile
    • Simplify Shopping
« Reply #2463 on: February 24, 2019, 07:56:23 PM »
Yes. As of two months ago. Hence I cannot take advantage of any of the ink offers, etc.

Those are the banks that I settled with. They have me flagged in their system for eternity.
What about mortgages and Business lines of credit?
Buy discounted gift cards from me.
www.simplifyshopping.com

Offline EP123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: February 24, 2019, 07:58:53 PM »
I am gonna say something that may be a bit controversial and will get flack for this and will probably delete this comment, but here goes.

Dan as owner of Dan's Deals has an achrayus to post on DDMS or a general disclaimer by every cc post as he currently has for amex.

I live in the same orbit as people like Dan that do not look at a cc as free money, nor do I spend anything unless I have the cash or plan to pay it right away.

But there is a significant portion of people who have no handle and understanding of debt, and just max out cards. I know many who are deep in debt because they just charge their cc when they don't have enough income. Instead of financial discipline and following programs like Dave Ramsey, or working more hours they take the easy path and Max out cards.

This is not Dan's fault but the people read ddms and see the huge sign up bonuses and nice trips that Dan and others take using points and they get sucked into the cc world. And once they have a cc it is downhill from there.

I wish Dan would have someone have a guest column on ddms about how to budget and live within means and build wealth.

Many jump into cc because of ddms but they are ill equipped to deal with the temptation and responsibility that comes along with it.

So yes, I do feel Dan should be posting about this on ddms, not as a scoop on the scammer with exact details, rather as part of a general series about fiscal responsibility

If I get flack for this I will delete. sorry in advance

Glad I got a result and not flack

Thank you dan

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: February 24, 2019, 08:00:11 PM »
As long as they give you checks at the drop-off location i wouldn't view it as a loan.
Of course, you should still manage your risk properly.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2466 on: February 24, 2019, 08:11:27 PM »
A school in Lakewood sent out a letter to all parents with a form to fill out. Their ss numbers etc and it says that they will be helping the school by allowing them to sell their points. Insane
Understatement.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2467 on: February 24, 2019, 08:14:08 PM »
WTH? I don’t believe this.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: February 24, 2019, 08:19:00 PM »
WTH? I don’t believe this.
Yep, a friend of mine filled it out. Doesn't have a clue what they do with his name, but he's happy he saves on tuition.

Absolute recklessness.

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: February 24, 2019, 08:21:21 PM »
Yep, a friend of mine filled it out. Doesn't have a clue what they do with his name, but he's happy he saves on tuition.

Absolute recklessness.
Insane! Which school?

Offline sruly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: February 24, 2019, 08:21:34 PM »
For all those saying buying groups are risk free I would just like to say one of the of the big buying groups bounced more than one check on me.

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: February 24, 2019, 08:23:33 PM »
source??

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2472 on: February 24, 2019, 08:24:47 PM »
Plenty of schools have been victims of scams in the past. Just look at sungames. They are the easiest way for a scanner to lure in victims.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: February 24, 2019, 08:25:44 PM »

He didn't want to tell me. (He might've been afraid I'd sound an alarm)

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2474 on: February 24, 2019, 08:31:35 PM »
He didn't want to tell me. (He might've been afraid I'd sound an alarm)
Well, what schools does he send to?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2475 on: February 24, 2019, 08:31:49 PM »
Please post which school

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2476 on: February 24, 2019, 08:32:22 PM »
For all those saying buying groups are risk free I would just like to say one of the of the big buying groups bounced more than one check on me.
Post in the buying Group thread

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #2477 on: February 24, 2019, 09:00:04 PM »
One of these scams now is run by the owner of a lakewood school. He probably did this as well...
#TYH

Offline yosefsv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: February 24, 2019, 09:06:24 PM »
Please post which school
There is a heimeshe course in the NY area that offers a free payment option: giving them your personal info and they take the money from the points.
The problem is that people are falling for it.
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: February 24, 2019, 09:09:43 PM »

Which one?
This is certainly litoeles
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.