Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1182843 times)

Offline mendy from lakewood

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, National EE, Hertz Presidential.
"Respect is earned, Honesty is appreciated, Trust is gained, Loyalty is returned"

Offline farmbochur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #2541 on: February 25, 2019, 12:14:56 PM »
If they can't get credit from a bank, then why is it worth your risk to earn a measly 2%?
Just throwing this out there.
2% per month = 24% annualized.

Then again, only junk rated bonds are priced with such high yields.
Risk is opportunity

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: February 25, 2019, 12:18:06 PM »
Just throwing this out there.
2% per month = 24% annualized.

Then again, only junk rated bonds are priced with such high yields.
It's really 12%, since usually these people take the full ~57 days to pay. (Day after statement close to due date)

Offline yosefsv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: February 25, 2019, 12:20:47 PM »
There is a heimeshe course in the NY area that offers a free payment option: giving them your personal info and they take the money from the points.
The problem is that people are falling for it.
POIDH
i personally know 2 people that gave their personal info to pay for this course. 
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: February 25, 2019, 12:22:11 PM »
Is this for the Bucher's info or the fathers?

Offline yosefsv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: February 25, 2019, 12:31:15 PM »
Is this for the Bucher's info or the fathers?
I have no idea. The 2 people that i know, attended his class for Men. 
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Online S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2546 on: February 25, 2019, 12:31:28 PM »
If they can't get credit from a bank, then why is it worth your risk to earn a measly 2%?
It's not a measly 2%, depending on how fast they pay back, it can be anywhere from 12%-24%. That's a pretty hefty return.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2547 on: February 25, 2019, 12:32:20 PM »
That's a pretty hefty return.
Not for a high risk "investment."
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #2548 on: February 25, 2019, 12:42:25 PM »
Not for a high risk "investment."
Yet banks frequently lend at this rate on unsecured, non-recourse lines of credit (translation: credit cards) based on nothing but your credit score and stated income

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #2549 on: February 25, 2019, 12:43:15 PM »
Yet banks frequently lend at this rate on unsecured, non-recourse lines of credit (translation: credit cards) based on nothing but your credit score and stated income

Because they are very big and can afford to lose it.

Offline Miami

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2550 on: February 25, 2019, 12:43:38 PM »
Pidypn shvuyim is next :-[
Amazing how he doesn't give his last name but when you scroll to the bottom of the page it says "created by" with the full name

Offline shnozolla

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: February 25, 2019, 12:44:43 PM »
It's not a measly 2%, depending on how fast they pay back, it can be anywhere from 12%-24%. That's a pretty hefty return.

Or 60% - 120% in the 5% category, that is a pretty good return, perhaps not good enough for the amount of risk involved! But still, enough to cause many (including myself) to bury my head in the sand.

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2552 on: February 25, 2019, 12:45:25 PM »
Or 60% - 120% in the 5% category, that is a pretty good return, perhaps not good enough for the amount of risk involved! But still, enough to cause many (including myself) to bury my head in the sand.
I'm pretty sure 120% is a good enough return to handle any risk in the world.

Still, you're fooling yourself if you think you're getting anywhere close to even 60% on a significant amount of money, short of signup bonuses, let alone 120%. There are caps on any major category spending.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2553 on: February 25, 2019, 12:48:34 PM »
Then why are they not lending these businesses (not buying groups) the capital they need?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline shnozolla

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: February 25, 2019, 12:54:49 PM »
Then why are they not lending these businesses (not buying groups) the capital they need?

The business is growing? Owners cards are already being used? Credit card companies don't give unlimited credit lines?
Some businesses are in transition mode and not yet structured to receive a line of credit from the bank. e.g. a business that started on amazon and branches out to become a traditional business.

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: February 25, 2019, 12:56:17 PM »
They peg the apr on the assumption that x amount of loans will default, however most don’t default and the profit margin from the performing loans cover the loans that defaulted. In short they can spread their risk over many many customers. You are lending to one person so you have an inordinate amount of exposure. (Same idea as insurance paying out benefits which makes that specific policy a loss, however most policies our B”H never claimed).
There are actuaries that get paid very well to price the risk, odds of default, etc.

Offline sruly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: February 25, 2019, 12:57:38 PM »
Not true, they have millions of dollars of funding from investors, they may run behind during busy times but they're primary purpose for using you is not for your cash flow.
agreed that their primary need is not your cash flow but they definitely do not have enough cash on hand to cover  everything.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: February 25, 2019, 12:59:31 PM »
The business is growing? Owners cards are already being used? Credit card companies don't give unlimited credit lines?
Some businesses are in transition mode and not yet structured to receive a line of credit from the bank. e.g. a business that started on amazon and branches out to become a traditional business.
That thought process is exactly how tens of millions of dollars vanished.

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: February 25, 2019, 01:00:54 PM »
agreed that their primary need is not your cash flow but they definitely do not have enough cash on hand to cover  everything.
And you know that this is definitely true, how exactly?
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #2559 on: February 25, 2019, 01:05:02 PM »
And you know that this is definitely true, how exactly?
See comments by @Markmann20 in the Buying Group thread, although that was busy season as you said