Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1204567 times)

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #2560 on: February 25, 2019, 01:18:36 PM »
And you know that this is definitely true, how exactly?

they clearly do not.

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: February 25, 2019, 01:28:50 PM »
Yes. As of two months ago. Hence I cannot take advantage of any of the ink offers, etc.

Those are the banks that I settled with. They have me flagged in their system for eternity.
So I'm just curious... You're better off NOT settling and rather declaring bankruptcy or waiting 7 years (if no banks summons)?
Chaya L.

Online Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2562 on: February 25, 2019, 02:13:53 PM »
The business is growing? Owners cards are already being used? Credit card companies don't give unlimited credit lines?
Some businesses are in transition mode and not yet structured to receive a line of credit from the bank. e.g. a business that started on amazon and branches out to become a traditional business.
Why don't banks give unlimited credit lines? Maybe because they have risk departments telling them not to? Do you?

Offline Menachem613

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: February 25, 2019, 02:14:20 PM »
agreed that their primary need is not your cash flow but they definitely do not have enough cash on hand to cover  everything.

He implied as much.

Online Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2564 on: February 25, 2019, 02:14:38 PM »
Like said earlier, when banks say no and you say yes, you are betting on being smarter than a bank.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: February 25, 2019, 02:21:05 PM »
Like said earlier, when banks say no and you say yes, you are betting on being smarter than a bank.

No. You’re just betting.

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: February 25, 2019, 03:12:39 PM »
There seems to be a bigger picture that people are missing out on here about buying groups.

Buying groups are not a legitimate business. They are using workarounds to game the system. The manufacturer or retailer does not want to sell the merchandise wholesale or in bulk to unauthorized distributors, so they crowdsource by asking individuals to buy and deliver them.

Everyone knows by now that the manufacturers and retailers are well aware of this scheme. Google once suspended hundreds of Gmail accounts because of the Pixel buying group (you can thank Dan for getting them to reinstate those accounts). Best Buy, Target and others have blacklisted many buyers. It's not illegal, but it's still not legitimate. (Some have mentioned importing these items to other countries without paying import taxes/tariffs, that is indeed illegal)

To put this in perspective, imagine I said that I had a fleet of taxis in NYC making a ton of money but I don't have a taxi medallion from the city, or I said I owned a hot-dog stand in NYC making a ton of money without a permit. Would you invest $100,000 with me?

Investing large sums of money is risky even when investing in legitimate businesses, how much more so with illegitimate businesses.

Is it less risky than swiping for a merchant? certainly. But consider this: Swiping for a merchant is like jumping off a 100ft building and hoping to survive. Buying for a group is like jumping off a 30ft building and hoping to survive.

Offline aro123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: February 25, 2019, 03:16:52 PM »
for all the horror stories we have there are probably 10 times more stories where people made and continue to make about 24% a year (+SUB) without laying out a penny . it's easy to make fun when it goes bad but lots of people risked a lot and make good money.

I know people who have already profited over 100% (+sub) and they are very happy they took the risk.

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: February 25, 2019, 03:24:00 PM »
for all the horror stories we have there are probably 10 times more stories where people made and continue to make about 24% a year (+SUB) without laying out a penny . it's easy to make fun when it goes bad but lots of people risked a lot and make good money.

I know people who have already profited over 100% (+sub) and they are very happy they took the risk.

Easy money becomes an addiction. I once warned someone to stop swiping for a merchant that I KNEW was deep in the red. That guy laughed me off. He is now out $200K because of this. I'm not gloating and telling him "I told you so", because by the time I told him he was too addicted to swiping and getting free credit card points.

Nobody is forcing you to not swipe for people. Just know that you have been warned. (like this thread said five years ago)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2569 on: February 25, 2019, 03:26:16 PM »
Easy money becomes an addiction. I once warned someone to stop swiping for a merchant that I KNEW was deep in the red. That guy laughed me off. He is now out $200K because of this. I'm not gloating and telling him "I told you so", because by the time I told him he was too addicted to swiping and getting free credit card points.

Nobody is forcing you to not swipe for people. Just know that you have been warned. (like this thread said five years ago)
@hvaces42
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2570 on: February 25, 2019, 03:27:07 PM »

So were all of the people in who are now a few 100k in debt until a couple of weeks ago.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: February 25, 2019, 03:28:28 PM »
@hvaces42
All I can offer on this topic is if you have a gambling problem PM me. There are many ways to gamble. This to me seems to be easy money/greed more than addictive behavior. Compulsive gambler live in a dream world. This doesnt sound like an addiction to points. Its greed and inability to appreciate that one should stop. Compulsive gamblers cannot stop, no matter what. Action is the drug, not money.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: February 25, 2019, 03:43:35 PM »

There is no such thing as easy money, ever.

In my first day back in the stock market in 2007 after an almost 10 year break I made $60k on a $500k bet. I lost $120k the very next day and I was chasing for 3 years after that until my world imploded.

THERE IS NO EASY MONEY.

Hard work and patience has given me and will continue to  give me everything I ever wanted from easy money.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2573 on: February 25, 2019, 03:48:27 PM »

Just curious. You know people that together earned $150,000,000-$300,000,000+

See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Chief Rabbi of New York

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: February 25, 2019, 03:59:36 PM »
Just curious. You know people that together earned $150,000,000-$300,000,000+

where did he say that?
he said there are 10 times more stories
Show Some Respect for Me, I am The Chief Rabbi of New York :)

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: February 25, 2019, 04:07:33 PM »
There seems to be a bigger picture that people are missing out on here about buying groups.

Buying groups are not a legitimate business. They are using workarounds to game the system. The manufacturer or retailer does not want to sell the merchandise wholesale or in bulk to unauthorized distributors, so they crowdsource by asking individuals to buy and deliver them.

Everyone knows by now that the manufacturers and retailers are well aware of this scheme. Google once suspended hundreds of Gmail accounts because of the Pixel buying group (you can thank Dan for getting them to reinstate those accounts). Best Buy, Target and others have blacklisted many buyers. It's not illegal, but it's still not legitimate. (Some have mentioned importing these items to other countries without paying import taxes/tariffs, that is indeed illegal)

To put this in perspective, imagine I said that I had a fleet of taxis in NYC making a ton of money but I don't have a taxi medallion from the city, or I said I owned a hot-dog stand in NYC making a ton of money without a permit. Would you invest $100,000 with me?

Investing large sums of money is risky even when investing in legitimate businesses, how much more so with illegitimate businesses.

Is it less risky than swiping for a merchant? certainly. But consider this: Swiping for a merchant is like jumping off a 100ft building and hoping to survive. Buying for a group is like jumping off a 30ft building and hoping to survive.
You're missing part of the picture.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline PSA2

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: February 25, 2019, 04:08:23 PM »
It’s probably best to discuss this with a competent lawyer before you take a step you might regret
Any update yet ?

Were tou offered to work with transmadia ?

Wondering if someone swiped only 1 time, are his chances of disputing better than the people who did it a few times ?

*Meant to quote PSA.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2577 on: February 25, 2019, 04:09:13 PM »
where did he say that?
he said there are 10 times more stories
If $15,000,000 is stolen, and somewhere around 10x the people either earn 24%/year or already earned 100% profit, then he obviously knows people with $150,000,000 profit, or somewhere around there, to make such a statement.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online aygart

• View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2578 on: February 25, 2019, 04:12:39 PM »
If $15,000,000 is stolen, and somewhere around 10x the people either earn 24%/year or already earned 100% profit, then he obviously knows people with $150,000,000 profit, or somewhere around there, to make such a statement.
Why? 1 person lost 500k while another 10 made 24% on 50k.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline PSA

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: February 25, 2019, 04:21:52 PM »

There are people that made a killing off S****-  easily high 6 figures - He's been doing this with certain people for quite a number of years. He would boast to me about the amount of money people made off of him.
Everyone is happy they took the risk as long as it's going good, but when it comes crashing down then it's a different story. Your arguments are ludicrous.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 03:41:21 PM by jj1000 »