Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1204730 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #2580 on: February 25, 2019, 04:23:40 PM »
Why? 1 person lost 500k while another 10 made 24% on 50k.
Do you know that? No need for more made up speculation to defend his made up speculation...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline PSA2

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: February 25, 2019, 04:24:37 PM »
There are people that made a killing off S**** -  easily high 6 figures - He's been doing this with certain people for quite a number of years. He would boast to me about the amount of money people made off of him.
Everyone is happy they took the risk as long as it's going good, but when it comes crashing down then it's a different story. Your arguments are ludicrous.
Any update in your case ?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 03:41:31 PM by jj1000 »

Online aro123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: February 25, 2019, 05:03:54 PM »
Do you know that? No need for more made up speculation to defend his made up speculation...
i know people that have made over 100% (+SUB) on 25k to 50k. and plenty more people who have done 25k to 50k sporadically for the SUB.
 obviously if a guy is swiping 15mm than he is for sure gonna go bust but there are legitimate business that need extra buying power during peak season that are not ponzi schemes.
  and I know of a school that swiped around 1mm for 12 months while they were waiting to be eligible to refi there loan.  obviously there have big risks but also big rewards. but not everyone is just a ponzi

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2583 on: February 25, 2019, 05:08:40 PM »
  and I know of a school that swiped around 1mm for 12 months while they were waiting to be eligible to refi there loan.  obviously there have big risks but also big rewards. but not everyone is just a ponzi

Of all the cases you mention, this sounds like the worst. I don't want to make public assumptions, but "swiping for 12 months while waiting to be eligible to refi their loan" has a lot written behind that sentence, and in a way, this might be more like a Ponzi scheme than the other scenarios you describe.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online aro123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: February 25, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »
when it was possible to get Amex 150k BP NL someone told me he was swiping 30k a month for him and spouse and netting 345k  mr per month.  that is about 20% PER MONTH

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: February 25, 2019, 05:12:02 PM »
There seems to be a bigger picture that people are missing out on here about buying groups.

Buying groups are not a legitimate business. They are using workarounds to game the system. The manufacturer or retailer does not want to sell the merchandise wholesale or in bulk to unauthorized distributors, so they crowdsource by asking individuals to buy and deliver them.

Everyone knows by now that the manufacturers and retailers are well aware of this scheme. Google once suspended hundreds of Gmail accounts because of the Pixel buying group (you can thank Dan for getting them to reinstate those accounts). Best Buy, Target and others have blacklisted many buyers. It's not illegal, but it's still not legitimate. (Some have mentioned importing these items to other countries without paying import taxes/tariffs, that is indeed illegal)

To put this in perspective, imagine I said that I had a fleet of taxis in NYC making a ton of money but I don't have a taxi medallion from the city, or I said I owned a hot-dog stand in NYC making a ton of money without a permit. Would you invest $100,000 with me?

Investing large sums of money is risky even when investing in legitimate businesses, how much more so with illegitimate businesses.

Is it less risky than swiping for a merchant? certainly. But consider this: Swiping for a merchant is like jumping off a 100ft building and hoping to survive. Buying for a group is like jumping off a 30ft building and hoping to survive.

The instances that you quote as illegitimate, are operating without a license. Buying groups are breaking corporate policies.
The consequences for crossing the government are much more dire than being blacklisted by Wal-Mart/BestBuy/Target ( I have been blacklisted from Wal-Mart for 5 years and I have not experienced major disruptions from this, would not want to know what the feeling is being hounded by DoT/DoH..)

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2586 on: February 25, 2019, 05:21:44 PM »
i know people that have made over 100% (+SUB) on 25k to 50k. and plenty more people who have done 25k to 50k sporadically for the SUB.
 obviously if a guy is swiping 15mm than he is for sure gonna go bust but there are legitimate business that need extra buying power during peak season that are not ponzi schemes.
I didn't see anyone saying that everyone is a pnozi scheme. Nor did I even see anyone saying that all of the seemingly numerous cases of businesses going bust were all ponzi schemes. Everyone is saying that it is very risky. Do you disagree with that?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline gingyguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #2587 on: February 25, 2019, 05:29:29 PM »
not sure what it arguing about. Dans point was to do for diligence. If you feel like these are good investment  ideas than I wish you all the best
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline pointer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: February 25, 2019, 05:34:38 PM »
There seems to be a bigger picture that people are missing out on here about buying groups.

Buying groups are not a legitimate business. They are using workarounds to game the system. The manufacturer or retailer does not want to sell the merchandise wholesale or in bulk to unauthorized distributors, so they crowdsource by asking individuals to buy and deliver them.

To put this in perspective, imagine I said that I had a fleet of taxis in NYC making a ton of money but I don't have a taxi medallion from the city, or I said I owned a hot-dog stand in NYC making a ton of money without a permit. Would you invest $100,000 with me?
whats better apples or oranges?

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2589 on: February 25, 2019, 05:46:15 PM »
I don't think you are understanding what I wrote. Who cares if there were more people who made money? The losses were much greater.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline gubevo18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: February 25, 2019, 05:51:52 PM »
Might I suggest that Dan make a special private forum similar to the Antarctica forum or.      , etc. for all those unfortunate to have been caught up in any of these scams. (I BH have not been nor do I plan on giving out my CC. Ever.)
I'm sure lots of people feel completely lost and are going with their knee jerk emotional reaction or no reaction at all.

Figuring this out together as a group would probably be very beneficial as well as the support that they can give/receive from one another. Also, there will be no cronies trolling the thread- obviously if you figure out a way to make sure only those who were really affected get in...

I would have a hard time understanding why someone would lie or make up a new username just to gain access to such a thread.. but then again, some of the comments posted here had me scratching my head..

Just trying to help as i can't imagine what these people are going thru.

Thoughts anyone??

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2591 on: February 25, 2019, 05:53:21 PM »
Might I suggest that Dan make a special private forum similar to the Antarctica forum or.      , etc. for all those unfortunate to have been caught up in any of these scams. (I BH have not been nor do I plan on giving out my CC. Ever.)
I'm sure lots of people feel completely lost and are going with their knee jerk emotional reaction or no reaction at all.

Figuring this out together as a group would probably be very beneficial as well as the support that they can give/receive from one another. Also, there will be no cronies trolling the thread- obviously if you figure out a way to make sure only those who were really affected get in...

I would have a hard time understanding why someone would lie or make up a new username just to gain access to such a thread.. but then again, some of the comments posted here had me scratching my head..

Thoughts anyone??
Too hard to verify and I'm sure cronies will slip in.
Just start a new thread for victims?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline pointer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: February 25, 2019, 05:55:11 PM »
might as well just post here, point was for a support group of victims

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2593 on: February 25, 2019, 05:55:54 PM »
might as well just post here, point was for a support group of victims
It'll just get lost here. Could keep that thread just for actual concrete discussion.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: February 25, 2019, 05:58:20 PM »

Thoughts anyone??

If victims are considering going to court it might be best not to discuss it openly (even in a dedicated closed forum)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2595 on: February 25, 2019, 06:02:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure 120% is a good enough return to handle any risk in the world.

Uhm, no.  Assume your life savings was $100,000.

Would you risk $100,000 on a coin flip to earn $120,000? You would not, and even if you would, what about 0.2:1.2?  Or 0.1:1.2?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline gubevo18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: February 25, 2019, 06:15:11 PM »
Too hard to verify and I'm sure cronies will slip in.
but then it will turn into the latest hock thread again with everyone in shul talking about it. Victims will then be unlikely to post.
If victims are considering going to court it might be best not to discuss it openly (even in a dedicated closed forum)
perhaps. Don’t know about this.

Offline ual902

• View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: February 25, 2019, 06:26:42 PM »

Start a victims DO.

Offline Miami

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: February 25, 2019, 06:40:20 PM »

Everyone knows by now that the manufacturers and retailers are well aware of this scheme. Google once suspended hundreds of Gmail accounts because of the Pixel buying group (you can thank Dan for getting them to reinstate those accounts). Best Buy, Target and others have blacklisted many buyers. It's not illegal, but it's still not legitimate. (Some have mentioned importing these items to other countries without paying import taxes/tariffs, that is indeed illegal)

Investing large sums of money is risky even when investing in legitimate businesses, how much more so with illegitimate businesses.

Is it less risky than swiping for a merchant? certainly. But consider this: Swiping for a merchant is like jumping off a 100ft building and hoping to survive. Buying for a group is like jumping off a 30ft building and hoping to survive.
So by taxis in NYC without medallions you mean like Uber?

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: February 25, 2019, 06:42:23 PM »
So by taxis in NYC without medallions you mean like Uber?
https://www.quora.com/How-does-Uber-overcome-taxi-medallion-regulations

Either way, that doesn’t change the point.