Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1183488 times)

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #2880 on: March 03, 2019, 12:17:07 AM »
Is he would represent a victim and the defendant he could get disbarred for the conflict of interest.
At the same time, Twersky is also representing a guy that disputed charges in another very popular case....
Chaya L.

Offline lakewood34

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: March 03, 2019, 12:18:05 AM »
who said that some people were told that if they talked they wouldn't get their money back
was that dan or benny?
of course twersky denied it ever happened
I wouldn't be surprised if a threat like that is illegal
(unless what they were saying was if you go public i wouldn't be able to get loans to pay you off because everyone will stop lending -in that case it's not a threat just a statement of fact)
also the 50 million dollar number is staggering especially considering that probably a very significant percentage was money that people couldn't afford to lose

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2882 on: March 03, 2019, 12:19:03 AM »
who said that some people were told that if they talked they wouldn't get their money back
was that dan or benny?
(unless what they were saying was if you go public i wouldn't be able to get loans to pay you off because everyone will stop lending -in that case it's not a threat just a statement of fact)
also the 50 million dollar number is staggering especially considering that probably a very significant percentage was money that people couldn't afford to lose
Me.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: March 03, 2019, 12:27:12 AM »
It's pretty clear to me that Twersky was brought on so that there should be representation from "both sides".

The problem is that Twersky did not represent his side or tell his client's side of the story (because of attorney-client privilege). Instead, he made two main statements:

• "Investors" need to be careful with how and where they invest, especially when giving unsecured loans
  • Don't try to do a chargeback, because that will cause you to get into trouble criminally. He went on to say that banks have a "direct line" to the NYPD etc. and that they can charge you criminally for making a false claim that you never authorized the merchant to charge the card when you actually did.

Make no mistake. Both of these statements were for the benefit of his client. As others' have said, he's framing this story not as a criminal case but as an investment gone bad. Basically investors made a bad investment and it's really really sad.

The warning about chargebacks is not necessarily bad advice for the victims, but he could have said it for a number of reasons. One that stands out is that if indeed people can end up being criminally charged for doing this, the blame for that will be pinned on his clients. Another one is that those banks can open a criminal investigation on his client for all the chargebacks.

Offline joey89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: March 03, 2019, 12:27:22 AM »
was that dan or benny?
It’s possible someone else besides the lawyer said it, possibly even before he came on board. (iirc what was said was, that there was one of these dispute companies involved “trying to make it work for both sides” it’s possible one of these non lawyers said it)

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: March 03, 2019, 12:32:03 AM »
It's pretty clear to me that Twersky was brought on so that there should be representation from "both sides".

The problem is that Twersky did not represent his side or tell his client's side of the story (because of attorney-client privilege). Instead, he made two main statements:

• "Investors" need to be careful with how and where they invest, especially when giving unsecured loans
  • Don't try to do a chargeback, because that will cause you to get into trouble criminally. He went on to say that banks have a "direct line" to the NYPD etc. and that they can charge you criminally for making a false claim that you never authorized the merchant to charge the card when you actually did.

Make no mistake. Both of these statements were for the benefit of his client. As others' have said, he's framing this story not as a criminal case but as an investment gone bad. Basically investors made a bad investment and it's really really sad.

The warning about chargebacks is not necessarily bad advice for the victims, but he could have said it for a number of reasons. One that stands out is that if indeed people can end up being criminally charged for doing this, the blame for that will be pinned on his clients. Another one is that those banks can open a criminal investigation on his client for all the chargebacks.

Regarding chargebacks, victims should speak to a lawyer that represents THEM, a lawyer will advise what he thinks is best course of action.
If there were to be a criminal investigation his client has a lot more to be worried about.

Offline joey89

• View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: March 03, 2019, 12:32:54 AM »
Me.
When will we get the transcript for those that couldn’t listen.

Offline lakewood34

• View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: March 03, 2019, 12:35:16 AM »
It’s possible someone else besides the lawyer said it, possibly even before he came on board. (iirc what was said was, that there was one of these dispute companies involved “trying to make it work for both sides” it’s possible one of these non lawyers said it)
i can't imagine that anyone thinks twersky would have said any such thing he is way to smart for that and that's not what i meant
I just said that on the program twersky denied that anybody had made such threats

Offline lakewood34

• View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: March 03, 2019, 12:38:19 AM »

a third reason is that if a chargeback is successful then the business now owes the credit card company money .maybe his client would much rather owe money to a bunch of individuals then to some big banks with much more assets at their disposal to come after him
again the advice might be correct but if you have significant money at stake get it from somebody that represents you

Offline chayal101

• View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: March 03, 2019, 12:40:30 AM »
The fact that Twersky says that most will not see back their money is pretty frightening, and very not encouraging to the victims... We're talking about young 20-25 year olds left with 100k in debt...
Chaya L.

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: March 03, 2019, 12:41:46 AM »
Is he would represent a victim and the defendant he could get disbarred for the conflict of interest.
Obviously, that's what I found funny, the whole thing is just ironic.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: March 03, 2019, 12:42:24 AM »
When will we get the transcript for those that couldn’t listen.
YWN should have it up any minute now

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: March 03, 2019, 12:45:32 AM »
ALOL
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Ekay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: March 03, 2019, 12:54:50 AM »
Dont see it....link pls.

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: March 03, 2019, 12:56:18 AM »
The fact that Twersky says that most will not see back their money is pretty frightening, and very not encouraging to the victims... We're talking about young 20-25 year olds left with 100k in debt...
I don't think you needed twersky to say that.

The amount of money that has been lost between all the recent stories is astronomical.

Would take a miracle for all the victims to get their money back.
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline Z56

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Offline chayal101

• View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: March 03, 2019, 12:58:43 AM »
I don't think you needed twersky to say that.

The amount of money that has been lost between all the recent stories is astronomical.

Would take a miracle for all the victims to get their money back.
Not ALL... But some will put up a fight at the end of the day.
Chaya L.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: March 03, 2019, 01:02:04 AM »
But some will put up a fight at the end of the day.
How ?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2898 on: March 03, 2019, 01:03:41 AM »
How ?
Find a way to dispute without getting in trouble?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: March 03, 2019, 01:11:51 AM »
Find a way to dispute without getting in trouble?
Will they win?