Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1183457 times)

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #2940 on: March 03, 2019, 12:24:36 PM »
The course is still going on AFAIK
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline PSA2

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: March 03, 2019, 12:26:01 PM »
The course is still going on AFAIK
כאפט'ס אריין
It wont be available for too long...

Offline Alexsei

• View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: March 03, 2019, 12:27:24 PM »
Now they can advertize "how to sit on the couch and make 4 million"
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: March 03, 2019, 12:35:25 PM »

"Don't ask what we will do to your credit, ask what your credit can do for you".

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: March 03, 2019, 12:36:04 PM »
This is getting crazier by the minute. Nuts.

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: March 03, 2019, 12:46:07 PM »
I just found out that this free course guy defaulted over 4 mil. of heimish innocent people's money

He's a farmer himself, or does he have a deal with a farmer to pay him for SS numbers?

Offline Jo 08701

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: March 03, 2019, 01:35:31 PM »
I am not a Rabbi and not a Lawyer and burech hashem not a victim and not a family member of a victim AFAIK.
But I am wondering,  based on how the Justice dept works, based on what it's reported in the news always,  the Justice dept isn't interested in catching small fish, that's how it works by the labor dept atleast,  when you hire ileagels they will not charge the ileagels they will use them against the employer,  so I am sure here will work the same.
If all the victims organize as a class, hiring 1 good lawyer,  I am sure they can go to the Justice dept and work out a deal and they will go against the big fish.
Now if they work as a group, I am sure they will have the leverage to go back to those companies and tell them look we have a heter from a Rov,  (if they can get). The option is clear or you wonna work on a payback plan and do something real, let's say 60 cents on the dollar than its good, if not we will work with law enforcement and it will become a criminal case and they will end up paying much more and lose everything.
As far as it looks like now the perpetrators are hoping it should not be an organized opposition against them, hence trying to make the victims look as stupid investors, therefore people should hide as a shame.

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: March 03, 2019, 01:35:56 PM »
Probably the #1 reason..
What frightens me the most is once the inevitable happens and this lands in court and the facts become clear, it then becomes a matter of time until the Post or even the Times start working on a story, it has all the buzz words and narrative filling facts to it.. Orthodox Jews, stealing money, bank fraud etc. Huge mess
+100000000
Huge Chillul Hashem

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: March 03, 2019, 01:42:35 PM »
I am not a Rabbi and not a Lawyer and burech hashem not a victim and not a family member of a victim AFAIK.
But I am wondering,  based on how the Justice dept works, based on what it's reported in the news always,  the Justice dept isn't interested in catching small fish, that's how it works by the labor dept atleast,  when you hire ileagels they will not charge the ileagels they will use them against the employer,  so I am sure here will work the same.
If all the victims organize as a class, hiring 1 good lawyer,  I am sure they can go to the Justice dept and work out a deal and they will go against the big fish.
Now if they work as a group, I am sure they will have the leverage to go back to those companies and tell them look we have a heter from a Rov,  (if they can get). The option is clear or you wonna work on a payback plan and do something real, let's say 60 cents on the dollar than its good, if not we will work with law enforcement and it will become a criminal case and they will end up paying much more and lose everything.
As far as it looks like now the perpetrators are hoping it should not be an organized opposition against them, hence trying to make the victims look as stupid investors, therefore people should hide as a shame.
I doubt these people have anything close to 60 cents on the dollar to payback.

Offline unavailable

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: March 03, 2019, 01:43:42 PM »
still, the best option is to unite.

Offline Poordecisions

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: March 03, 2019, 01:51:20 PM »

Considering starting a group off DDF, perhaps Whatsapp or Telegram if annonymity  is an issue for some, for those that are victims of the “Toner.com” situation. PM me if interested and if enough people respond then would gladly bring us together as I truly believe we are better of fighting or even simply discussing this together rather than alone. Feel free to PM me anonymously if you’d like and I guess share something of your story so that we don’t have people who are just curious for more information jointing the group.

Offline Jo 08701

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: March 03, 2019, 02:02:47 PM »

They should have something in assets, I doubt they just live off that and not invest in something,  plus they probably have family and friends who will help them to avoid criminal charges.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 02:08:57 PM by Jo 08701 »

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: March 03, 2019, 02:07:42 PM »
Anyway to listen to the show?

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: March 03, 2019, 02:10:44 PM »
Considering starting a group off DDF, perhaps Whatsapp or Telegram if annonymity  is an issue for some, for those that are victims of the “Toner.com” situation. PM me if interested and if enough people respond then would gladly bring us together as I truly believe we are better of fighting or even simply discussing this together rather than alone. Feel free to PM me anonymously if you’d like and I guess share something of your story so that we don’t have people who are just curious for more information jointing the group.
Just remember to make everyone aware that they’re ok with the feds going through everything, starting from the application. Very important

Offline Yhgfkj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: March 03, 2019, 02:33:49 PM »
yup real " productive "

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: March 03, 2019, 02:37:18 PM »
They should have something in assets, I doubt they just live off that and not invest in something,  plus they probably have family and friends who will help them to avoid criminal charges.
You are deluded. Sorry. Just not living in reality if you think there is any money left for anything on either side of the coin here. Saying someone should be able to count on friends and family for money to avoid criminal charges is the height of delusion. They have no friends right now, guaranteed. And family is not as generous as you would think they are in these situations.

Speaking out of an abundance of personal experience. Vhamavin yavin...
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: March 03, 2019, 02:41:00 PM »

Not sure if this is necessarily true.

If there are enough assets to go around then yes. If not, the first person to get a court order for asset seizure will be the one getting some of their money back (assuming there are assets).

As stated many times, first thing you should do is speak to a competent lawyer.

Offline Alexsei

• View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: March 03, 2019, 02:45:31 PM »
Kol mevaseir (212) 444-1100;3;4;7; 30#
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline elimmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: March 03, 2019, 03:05:16 PM »
Is Dan giving HTs to everyone who's post ends up in the NY Post and NYT?
it's only a matter of time till they publish, and I'm sure they are combing through this goldmine already.
Post w seichel.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #2959 on: March 03, 2019, 03:10:08 PM »
I just found out that this free course guy defaulted over 4 mil. of heimish innocent people's money

Where did this money go? What did he did with this 4mm?
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons