Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1199471 times)

Offline Jo 08701

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #2960 on: March 03, 2019, 03:17:00 PM »
You are deluded. Sorry. Just not living in reality if you think there is any money left for anything on either side of the coin here. Saying someone should be able to count on friends and family for money to avoid criminal charges is the height of delusion. They have no friends right now, guaranteed. And family is not as generous as you would think they are in these situations.

Speaking out of an abundance of personal experience. Vhamavin yavin...
I don't know the perpetrators here,  but I am quite sure that they will do everything to avoid a criminal investigation, as of now it looks like they bank on the ignorance of the victims.
The Fed will not go after 100s small fish when they can use them as witness for a few big fish.
They definitely can't lose anything from uniting.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2961 on: March 03, 2019, 03:21:46 PM »
I don't know the perpetrators here,  but I am quite sure that they will do everything to avoid a criminal investigation, as of now it looks like they bank on the ignorance of the victims.
The Fed will not go after 100s small fish when they can use them as witness for a few big fish.
They definitely can't lose anything from uniting.

But I'm sure you can call Twerski for advice on class actions ;D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: March 03, 2019, 03:23:34 PM »
100s small fish
Someone who opened cc's on his, his wife's, his father's, etc names, and is now out hundreds of thousands of dollars, might qualify for the 'big fish' title.

Offline unavailable

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: March 03, 2019, 03:28:12 PM »
Someone who opened cc's on his, his wife's, his father's, etc names, and is now out hundreds of thousands of dollars, might qualify for the 'big fish' title.
not relative to the 'huge' fish

Offline Yhgfkj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: March 03, 2019, 03:28:56 PM »
oy ..

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: March 03, 2019, 03:34:44 PM »
But I'm sure you can call Twerski for advice on class actions ;D
Lol
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #2966 on: March 03, 2019, 03:54:15 PM »
Just got word that the big banks are already collaborating on these cases
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Jo 08701

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: March 03, 2019, 03:55:30 PM »
They are considered 3 small individual small fish against the big fish, I am sure your wife or father won't turn on you,  they will work against the real big fish.
But again you need a lawyer and proficient LOR who have knowledge in that part of choshen mishpat and the law and should also be powerful and be strong to come out in public to work on behalf of the victims.
I am personally not connected in anyway to this whole parsha, just giving my opinion in my leisure time.

Offline elimmm

• View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: March 03, 2019, 03:57:05 PM »
Lol
As a chase PC, my personal banker called to update me, too.

Lol
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 04:26:48 PM by elimmm »

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: March 03, 2019, 03:58:59 PM »
I'm just grateful I'm not involved on either side of this.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Jo 08701

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2970 on: March 03, 2019, 03:59:33 PM »
I don't think the big banks have a 100% interest for victims, they are trying to cut their loses.
The fed probably will have a better approach on behalf of the victims as they are more looking out for the small guys,  but again ask a LOR.

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: March 03, 2019, 04:04:39 PM »
So far we know that the swiping damage is around 50 million. I'm wondering if the banks will re-evaluate how much credit they provide across the board (even to those who were not involved), or if this barely makes a dent and will be written off as a loss. Another thing they can [but are less likely to] do is start requiring proof of income upon applying for a card.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: March 03, 2019, 04:05:44 PM »
I don't think the big banks have a 100% interest for victims, they are trying to cut their loses.
The fed probably will have a better approach on behalf of the victims as they are more looking out for the small guys,  but again ask a LOR.

Come again?

Offline elimmm

• View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: March 03, 2019, 04:10:46 PM »
The feds will be involved eventually, as it just takes one call to tip them off, be it a bank or an individual victim.
 Btw, the banks will attempt to squeeze everyone here. Their best interest is to show that the cardholders abused their t&c, therby making them responsible to pay back. After recouping as much as they can from cardholders, they will attempt to get whatever is left by having the feds go after the merchants in these cases, freezing their assests and locking them up.

Offline YesThatsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: March 03, 2019, 04:10:57 PM »
So far we know that the swiping damage is around 50 million. I'm wondering if the banks will re-evaluate how much credit they provide across the board (even to those who were not involved), or if this barely makes a dent and will be written off as a loss. Another thing they can [but are less likely to] do is start requiring proof of income upon applying for a card.

I feel the banks will make a killing of this parshah. Many will swallow the interest and pay for the next 10 years just to avoid bankruptcy and investigations...

Offline JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: March 03, 2019, 04:11:58 PM »
The feds will be involved eventually, as it just takes one call to tip them off, be it a bank or an individual victim.
 Btw, the banks will attempt to squeeze everyone here. Their best interest is to show that the cardholders abused their t&c, therby making them responsible to pay back. After recouping as much as they can from cardholders, they will attempt to get whatever is left by having the feds go after the merchants in these cases, freezing their assests and locking them up.
Oy Vie... please let this victims sleep at night....

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: March 03, 2019, 04:14:02 PM »
As a chase PC, my personal banker called to update me, too.

Lol
what did he say??
Chaya L.

Offline elimmm

• View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: March 03, 2019, 04:14:41 PM »
So far we know that the swiping damage is around 50 million. I'm wondering if the banks will re-evaluate how much credit they provide across the board (even to those who were not involved), or if this barely makes a dent and will be written off as a loss

-50 mil is worth hiring investigators up recoupe some of it

Another thing they can [but are less likely to] do is start requiring proof of income upon applying for a card.

--not happening, there is a reason they don't require proof: it yields many more customers

Offline Jo 08701

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: March 03, 2019, 04:17:33 PM »
Where is the number 50m coming from?
If you divide it in 100k that means a minimum of 500 victims,  and I assume that most victims were for less than 50k.
Unless you are telling that these victims had such a high LOC and played with a few CC.
And again I live in Lakewood and have family members and friends in Brooklyn and Upstate, and so far didn't hear from any names as victims.
500 victims is a very large number that it shouldn't affect every heimeishe family.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: March 03, 2019, 04:18:10 PM »
So far we know that the swiping damage is around 50 million. I'm wondering if the banks will re-evaluate how much credit they provide across the board (even to those who were not involved), or if this barely makes a dent and will be written off as a loss

-50 mil is worth hiring investigators up recoupe some of it

Another thing they can [but are less likely to] do is start requiring proof of income upon applying for a card.

--not happening, there is a reason they don't require proof: it yields many more customers

The 50 million is not from one bank, but from several banks. Amex and Chase are probably the main ones.

Regarding your second point, yes, they want more customers, but they are also conservative about credit lines (at least Chase is). The reason I think it's unlikely they will do that is that it will require them to hire hundreds of employees just to check through applications.