Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1182820 times)

Offline boruchmig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #3080 on: March 05, 2019, 03:52:55 PM »
Make mention of the idea, that just because the guy swiping your cc has a building or more, and he tells you that in worst case scenario he will sell the building to repay you, it doesn't mean he actually  will sell it , and if he does you wont be the one getting the money. Some guys were given such guarantees..
And not to give your cc, even to a friend that you trust to "know these things"

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: March 05, 2019, 03:56:00 PM »
Ok @whYME  and @Yehuda57  please tell me a real word to use for the people who allowed their cards to be swiped and I'll use it!  Lender, investor, victim all imply taking a side.  I used the term investor because I was referencing a Ponzi scheme comparison and that's what people with money in Ponzi schemes are called...geesh.

I refuse to use swipee because now I can't get Dora the Explorer out of my head and my kids already traumatized me for several years going around the house saying "Swiper no Swipee!"  ;D

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3082 on: March 05, 2019, 04:06:30 PM »
The need for financial literacy education.  (he will eat this up like crazy) This doesn't mean learning math, science or economics, but the basic concepts of budgeting, interest, loans, etc.

The investment misnomer - these were loans at best, most victims probably didn't even think they were doing that.

The halachic ramifications of disputing charges.

People don't have to be willfully trying to scam you, some probably have the best of intentions.

Add to all of the above the fact that people might run afoul of Ribbis issues. If the swiper pays a little late, and there's interest charged, you're probably not allowed to collect that from him. Go to a competent Halachic Authority for the Heter Iska (don't just download a form and fill the blanks, these are complex issues). I would hope that a competent Rov that would be consulted for a Heter Iska might warn of pitfalls.

Maybe point people to the common sense advice from R' Mendel Shafran.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: March 05, 2019, 04:14:35 PM »
Ok @whYME  and @Yehuda57  please tell me a real word to use for the people who allowed their cards to be swiped and I'll use it!  Lender, investor, victim all imply taking a side.  I used the term investor because I was referencing a Ponzi scheme comparison and that's what people with money in Ponzi schemes are called...geesh.

I refuse to use swipee because now I can't get Dora the Explorer out of my head and my kids already traumatized me for several years going around the house saying "Swiper no Swipee!"  ;D
Cardholder?
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: March 05, 2019, 04:16:21 PM »
Add to all of the above the fact that people might run afoul of Ribbis issues. If the swiper pays a little late, and there's interest charged, you're probably not allowed to collect that from him. Go to a competent Halachic Authority for the Heter Iska (don't just download a form and fill the blanks, these are complex issues). I would hope that a competent Rov that would be consulted for a Heter Iska might warn of pitfalls.

Maybe point people to the common sense advice from R' Mendel Shafran.
I know there are people who hold that whoever is using the credit card is considered the "owner" or whatever so you wouldn't necessarily have ribis issues.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: March 05, 2019, 04:17:25 PM »
I don't understand this aversion to anything "worldly".
+1
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3086 on: March 05, 2019, 04:30:40 PM »
I know there are people who hold that whoever is using the credit card is considered the "owner" or whatever so you wouldn't necessarily have ribis issues.

Who are those people? Most likely either someone who is clueless about the law, or clueless about Halacha. But that's neither here nor there, the point is that people should get COMPETENT Halachic guidance prior to entering into these kinds of swiping arrangements. If the Halachic authority they approach is competent, they are likely to be dissuaded from entering into the arrangement altogether.
-- Dan

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: March 05, 2019, 04:33:57 PM »
Cardholder?

It works, thanks! Both my recent posts have been modified using that term for people who gave their cards.

And goodness, if anyone is triggered by the term "cardholder" speak now, offer a better vocab word, or forever hold your peace.  ;)

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: March 05, 2019, 04:34:39 PM »
Who are those people? Most likely either someone who is clueless about the law, or clueless about Halacha. But that's neither here nor there, the point is that people should get COMPETENT Halachic guidance prior to entering into these kinds of swiping arrangements. If the Halachic authority they approach is competent, they are likely to be dissuaded from entering into the arrangement altogether.
I know of one very competent posek specifically who holds like that although I'm entirely sure of the details so it's possible that I'm missing information about what he holds and when it would apply. You're welcome to PM if you want the name of the rav, I'm not going to post it here.

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #3089 on: March 05, 2019, 04:40:36 PM »
It works, thanks! Both my recent posts have been modified using that term for people who gave their cards.

And goodness, if anyone is triggered by the term "cardholder" speak now, offer a better vocab word, or forever hold your peace.  ;)
I'll speak for myself, but it's not a matter of being triggered or attacking you over semantics. It's about fundamental misunderstandings which lead to the scams.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #3090 on: March 05, 2019, 04:51:14 PM »
I know of one very competent posek specifically who holds like that although I'm entirely sure of the details so it's possible that I'm missing information about what he holds and when it would apply. You're welcome to PM if you want the name of the rav, I'm not going to post it here.
PM sent. Though for the benefit of the public, why don't you go to said Posek and get the details and scenario, and then report back.
-- Dan

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: March 05, 2019, 04:54:57 PM »

The question is if there is a downside to disputing and trying that method before going the bankruptcy/settlement route. What's the worst case scenario? If you lose the dispute, does that make you ineligible to settle?

There is another thing to consider: In a normal scenario, when a customer wins a dispute, the cc issuer will then debit the balance from the merchant's receiving bank account. What happens when the merchant's bank account is already overdrawn or closed? Correct me if I'm wrong, but presumably the cc issuer will absorb the loss and write it off. Why would they be willing to absorb the loss if they can pin the responsibility on the customer? If multiple customers from a single merchant come forward with claims of millions of dollars the issuer will most certainly not be willing to absorb that.

The processing bank will absorb the loss, not the CC issuer but same difference.
 They won't absorb such a large loss easily
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: March 05, 2019, 05:01:51 PM »

The processing bank will absorb the loss, not the CC issuer but same difference.
 They won't absorb such a large loss easily

The cc issuer is not the processing bank?

If you get a card from Chase, Chase doesn’t process the payment?

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: March 05, 2019, 05:10:05 PM »
I'll speak for myself, but it's not a matter of being triggered or attacking you over semantics. It's about fundamental misunderstandings which lead to the scams.

Ok, fair enough.  Definitely some financially unsophisticated, or overly trusting people (or whatever people want to call them because I truly don't want to offend anyone) got scammed or in the least drawn into something they didn't understand and my heart breaks for them and their losses.  Everyone is hammering me over my assumptions or word choices (which is fine, I'm a big girl and can take it) but I wouldn't assume these arrangements generally fell into the scam category without more information (maybe after getting more information it does fall into the scam category but right now we don't have that information). 

Please anyone feel free to address my actual question regarding whether the average cardholder that you know or yourself (obviously each individual case is different) actually had a net loss, after accounting for both recent unpaid bills and the value of points they received the whole time they were allowing their cards to be swiped. 

Just like it's probably a mis-characterization to label these cardholders investors, if a majority (or plurality or whatever standard you set) of these cardholders actually net money out of a multi-year arrangement with these owners, even accounting for recent losses, (and I truly don't know what to call these arrangements but I'm sure plenty of courts will address it) it might be a mis-characterization to call whatever their arrangements were a scam.

Online zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: March 05, 2019, 05:15:36 PM »
Just you or another panel ?

I don't think he does panels. He records 1 on 1 interviews with several people on the same subject.

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: March 05, 2019, 05:23:01 PM »
No idea. Didn't know last time it was a panel either.
I don't think he does panels. He records 1 on 1 interviews with several people on the same subject.
This.

Nearly all his shows are a string of 1 on 1 interviews, usually 20-40 minutes in length (program is usually 2 hours or more)
If he is recording you later, he will probably reference others he spoke to and get your reaction, and vice versa.

Link: https://castbox.fm/va/1348308

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: March 05, 2019, 05:32:09 PM »
I'm going to be interviewed by him tomorrow.
What topics should I bring up?
How to use and play the credit card game responsibly.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 05:50:31 PM by churnbabychurn »

Online zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: March 05, 2019, 07:09:09 PM »
I'm going to be interviewed by him tomorrow.
What topics should I bring up?

2 things to be aware of.

1- he has a hard time staying objective and listening when he has a strong opinion about something. Usually when someone he disagrees with is on the show they get steamrolled, although I have heard people push back against his lack of objectivity, and when called out he tries to correct for it.

I assume he will agree with you on this specific issue, especially regarding the need for better education, but if the conversation goes to price mistakes or other aspects of "the game" he might give you a hard time.

2 - he is a billionaire (with a B), who has mentioned several times on his show that he heard from banks that are reluctant to work with him because of the impression they get of frum yidden from the newspapers. He holds those frum yidden who end up in the headlines responsible for that.

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: March 05, 2019, 07:40:20 PM »
2 - he is a billionaire (with a B), who has mentioned several times on his show that he heard from banks that are reluctant to work with him because of the impression they get of frum yidden from the newspapers. He holds those frum yidden who end up in the headlines responsible for that.
So he blames frum people when (according to him) the banks are bigots because of (non)stories that the media deliberately hypes up? that's called Stockholm Syndrome.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: March 05, 2019, 07:50:21 PM »
2 things to be aware of.

1- he has a hard time staying objective and listening when he has a strong opinion about something. Usually when someone he disagrees with is on the show they get steamrolled, although I have heard people push back against his lack of objectivity, and when called out he tries to correct for it.

I assume he will agree with you on this specific issue, especially regarding the need for better education, but if the conversation goes to price mistakes or other aspects of "the game" he might give you a hard time.

“who has mentioned several times on his show that he heard from banks that are reluctant to work with him because of the impression they get of frum yidden from the newspapers. He holds those frum yidden who end up in the headlines responsible for that.”

More likely due to the $7 Billion Extended Stay bankruptcy that a lot of lenders got burned on.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/chloesorvino/2016/03/23/how-real-estate-billionaire-david-lichtenstein-bounced-back-from-a-7-5-billion-hotel-bankruptcy/amp/

“While the fiasco surely turned off some lenders from Lightstone forever, the firm has been able to get additional financing through its four non-traded office REITs.”

Interestingly enough he maxed out his credit cards to procure capital to buy his very first property. When the Extended Stay deal went bust, he was able to legally get out of a $7 billion dollar bad deal without taking too much of a personal hit, so he can definitely identify with at least a part of what people are going through.

Interviewees have claimed that he edits and tilts things towards his preconceived viewpoint so go in with that expectation.....