Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1182625 times)

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #3240 on: March 07, 2019, 10:23:42 AM »
How did it go? Or are you under embargo?

#Elal #releasethetapes #therewasasecondmicrophone

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: March 07, 2019, 10:52:03 AM »

1. I say um too much.

Many speakers use crutches in their speech pattern. Its normal and if you are cognizant of it then it will diminish over time. Learned not to use the word "like" too much.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Online skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: March 07, 2019, 10:56:17 AM »
This Zev apparently never visited DDMS, he repeatedly defines Dan's role as "Helping people with what is a good deal & what is a bad deal" and he even asks Dan to give a quick example on how to know what is a good or bad deal.. So Dan became a deal counselor for that show..
It doesn't seem that Zev did any research on this topic at all, therefor he come across very monotonous, and I'm sure Dan had the same sense, Dan has much more knowledge and expertise to share.
That's how it works when you bring guests on a talk show to talk about their subject of expertise.

Offline boruchmig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: March 07, 2019, 10:58:37 AM »
Perhaps its time to add public speaking, to the list of things yeshivas ought to teach.

Offline Jj0e

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: March 07, 2019, 11:39:03 AM »
Can everyone stop with the 36% # or similar? It's simply ridiculous. The reason these guys are swiping is so they get a 50-60 day loan, which is 22% max, and that's assuming 3% which from having some experience in the industry is probably on the higher end of what the fees would be. A more accurate # would be 15-18%.
+1
I was recently approached by someone who wanted to start such a scheme
1)according to him most suppliers charge a about 3% surcharge for paying by credit card.
2) his plan was to do a 57 day cycle reducing the number to about 18%
3) he wanted to split the points (not in half), lowering it to about 12%, thus making it cheaper than hard money. (I told him there's no one that would agree to such terms, to which he claimed he already has such a group)
4) he also wanted to take advantage of some sort of statement credit for buying Apple.
5) he completely agreed that if the numbers were 36%, that clearly means that that person can't even get a hard money loan, and in no way shape or form should you be giving this person money.
6) his pitch was very clearly supposed to sound like an investment. Giving people the "opportunity" to invest money even if they don't have any. As if he was doing some sort of favor for everyone.

I pretty much told him to go jump in a lake and there have been ppl screwed already.. he's like what do you mean "I'm a frum guy, I live in the community, this is where I daven..."

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: March 07, 2019, 01:36:39 PM »
+1
1)according to him most suppliers charge a about 3% surcharge for paying by credit card.
3) he wanted to split the points (not in half), lowering it to about 12%, thus making it cheaper than hard money. (I told him there's no one that would agree to such terms, to which he claimed he already has such a group)
4) he also wanted to take advantage of some sort of statement credit for buying Apple.
5) he completely agreed that if the numbers were 36%, that clearly means that that person can't even get a hard money loan, and in no way shape or form should you be giving this person money.
6) his pitch was very clearly supposed to sound like an investment. Giving people the "opportunity" to invest money even if they don't have any. As if he was doing some sort of favor for everyone.

I pretty much told him to go jump in a lake and there have been ppl screwed already.. he's like what do you mean "I'm a frum guy, I live in the community, this is where I daven..."

while a terrible idea his points are legit. Except, it should be his cards.

Offline Naftuli19

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #3246 on: March 07, 2019, 01:50:00 PM »

@Dan can you please post the English version here.
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: March 07, 2019, 02:18:58 PM »
#Elal #releasethetapes #therewasasecondmicrophone

ROTFL

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: March 07, 2019, 02:24:28 PM »
+1

Wow, so you’d take ALL the risk, get NONE of the profits of his business and only get SOME of the points?  Sounds like you should totally make that “investment” because he davens with you...LOL!

Online chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #3249 on: March 07, 2019, 02:25:07 PM »
@Dan can you please post the English version here.

Is wasn't made by @Dan - was done here > https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=101820.0

Online chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...

Offline ruv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: March 07, 2019, 02:38:54 PM »
I’m connected with a magazine that would gladly make a full fledged interview with victims for the purpose of awareness, free of charge. If interested please PM.

Bump.

Reminder:  ;)

Can vouch that this magazine's readership is exactly those who have been whipping out cards. Kudos to @ruv for taking the initiative and I hope people take him up on it.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: March 07, 2019, 03:20:20 PM »
It's not fair to insult his writing like that.

I meant that in a positive way of course.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3253 on: March 07, 2019, 03:45:41 PM »
How did it go? Or are you under embargo?
1st part we obviously agreed on.
Tough debate on price mistakes. We're not going to see eye to eye on that one and I could have done better, but I think I did OK in the end of the debate.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Zkpncs48

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: March 07, 2019, 04:05:40 PM »
Tough debate on price mistakes. We're not going to see eye to eye on that one and I could have done better, but I think I did OK in the end of the debate.
cant wait to hear it

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3255 on: March 07, 2019, 04:13:09 PM »
cant wait to hear it
when does it air?

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: March 07, 2019, 04:14:04 PM »
cant wait to hear it

+1 I bet he’ll get a lot more downloads than normal (I’ve never listened).

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #3257 on: March 07, 2019, 04:27:04 PM »
I think you explained everything well. And he was a good host, for the most part just let you speak.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3258 on: March 07, 2019, 04:31:04 PM »
I think you explained everything well. And he was a good host, for the most part just let you speak.
Awww. Guess we'll see what happens after the edits.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: March 07, 2019, 04:37:24 PM »
I'm sure the post production edit will not be in your favor.. looking forward