Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1182311 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #3540 on: June 15, 2019, 11:51:41 PM »
you read through it pretty fast ! im still sitting with a calculator trying to see if it really $50 million

Stop wasting your time. It's not.

$6,811,445,84.

Case is almost certainly a loser.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline gingyguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #3541 on: June 15, 2019, 11:56:14 PM »

$6,811,445,84.

CMIIW but i see two cases one is for damages and one can put some people in jail for doing a Ponzi scheme
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: June 16, 2019, 12:12:30 AM »

$6,811,445,84.

It does not include all plaintiffs. I know a person that swiped over 100K and her name is not on there.

Offline lakewood34

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: June 16, 2019, 12:21:06 AM »
It does not include all plaintiffs. I know a person that swiped over 100K and her name is not on there.
its heartrending  one extended family(based on the sharing of a uncommon last name) is on the hook for 1.5 million roughly
it does seem like the main point of the lawsuit is to allow the charge backs to proceed and get these people off the hook
they allege that the people were actively discouraged from filing chargebacks something dan mentioned on the air and twersky denied
they say it was a affinity scam targeted to hasidic jews
they say the processer fees over the life of the scam were 10 million so if it's 2 percent that makes 500 million going through the network over the years

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3545 on: June 16, 2019, 12:24:07 AM »
its heartrending  one extended family(based on the sharing of a uncommon last name) is on the hook for 1.5 million roughly
it does seem like the main point of the lawsuit is to allow the charge backs to proceed and get these people off the hook
they allege that the people were actively discouraged from filing chargebacks something dan mentioned on the air and twersky denied
they say it was a affinity scam targeted to hasidic jews
they say the processer fees over the life of the scam were 10 million so if it's 2 percent that makes 500 million going through the network over the years
Most of that $10MM is rebated back to the cardholder.

I wonder why Twerski denied the threats?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: June 16, 2019, 12:32:17 AM »
The most one can say is WOW.

It literally is nation wide.

There are some people that would love this story.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: June 16, 2019, 12:40:15 AM »
Based on these numbers you can easily see why some cc processors are stricter then others.

Look who is losing more money to these type of schemes.

It still does not justify them for not explaining or allowing explanations before closures.

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: June 16, 2019, 12:46:56 AM »

It still does not justify them for not explaining or allowing explanations before closures.
I’ve been on the receiving end of shutdowns from banks and other businesses over the years. While it sucks, this is America, nobody can force them to do business with you. They don’t need to “justify” shutting anybody down.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #3549 on: June 16, 2019, 12:51:40 AM »
They don’t need to “justify” shutting anybody down.
Actually they do.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: June 16, 2019, 12:56:13 AM »
When dont they need to justify?

It hurts your CC score which on return can hurt loan applications ETC.

Big financial institutions should have the basic decency explaining shutdowns to consumers. Sadly this wont happen untill sued successfully.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3551 on: June 16, 2019, 12:59:56 AM »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19J9GYyg8gtHZ9RnhdqYvT393D7Csh8Y8/view?fbclid=IwAR1loxGhfSAtO70rgUuIDaOpKWrlfRg-AspDAXMW6zH1JhOXLI0frCeK1Lk

Wow. Some familiar names there. Interestingly someone there must have not consulted with his FIL before engaging in any of this.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: June 16, 2019, 01:00:34 AM »
Sadly this wont happen untill sued successfully.
They have been for non-compliance letters and have lost. The problem is they don't care about playing by the rules.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3553 on: June 16, 2019, 01:02:59 AM »
They have been for non-compliance letters and have lost. The problem is they don't care about playing by the rules.
Indeed. As evidenced by no one serving jail time or suffering personal financial consequences for bad activity, it’s all passed on as a cost of doing business expense to the shareholders.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: June 16, 2019, 01:05:20 AM »
Indeed. As evidenced by no one serving jail time or suffering personal financial consequences for bad activity, it’s all passed on as a cost of doing business expense to the shareholders.
My guess if they said we are closing you because of XYZ they would open themselves up to even more suits.

Offline 4yourinfo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3555 on: June 16, 2019, 01:25:34 AM »
Except that all cards specify that you don't get points and must pay interest for cash or cash equivalents.
Interestingly I said back in March they should file chargebacks based on not getting the agreed "service"  with the service being getting their bills paid.. They should claim the arrangement was a service that was not rendered.

Offline Don Will

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: June 16, 2019, 08:57:45 AM »
Interestingly I said back in March they should file chargebacks based on not getting the agreed "service"  with the service being getting their bills paid.. They should claim the arrangement was a service that was not rendered.
I guess they should have hired you as their attorney

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: June 16, 2019, 09:52:05 AM »
Actually they do.
Not really, legally speaking they only need to give a reason which can be extremely vague, like “misuse” “abuse” “not used as intended” or “credit risk”.

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: June 16, 2019, 11:22:20 AM »
Not really, legally speaking they only need to give a reason which can be extremely vague, like “misuse” “abuse” “not used as intended” or “credit risk”.
Correct, but if they provide a reason like that, you can sue if they can't provide any proof backing that claim.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: June 16, 2019, 02:33:28 PM »
Most if not all the ones you listed are non-compliant.