Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1182954 times)

Offline pointer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #3620 on: October 24, 2019, 04:52:11 PM »
creditkarma says my credit is 792
what does it say by payment history?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #3621 on: October 24, 2019, 04:52:29 PM »

On both EQ and TU?  Assume no derogatory marks?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: October 24, 2019, 05:00:48 PM »
On both.
Payment history shows the closed card, and shows a balance of 3599. For my wife, it shows the closed card with a balance of 12405. Both accounts say "payment status: current". "Amount past due: 0"

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: October 24, 2019, 05:07:33 PM »
Does that even make sense? What should I do?

The way I see it, first thing is to save my credit. Second is to get my money back, which will probably take much longer. I don't want to trash my credit while tracking this guy down and getting my money back. I understand I am probably not the only guy he has done this to anyways, I know of at least two others for much larger sums.
Based on that info from creditkarma, does that mean if I pay up both cards up to date with the minimum payments, and begin making regular monthly payments, my credit will not be affected?

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #3624 on: October 24, 2019, 05:09:21 PM »
CK is 100% useless for credit scores.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: October 24, 2019, 05:12:10 PM »
Even if the score is wrong, can I assume this means that it has not yet registered as a late?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #3626 on: October 24, 2019, 05:12:17 PM »
Does that even make sense? What should I do?

The way I see it, first thing is to save my credit. Second is to get my money back, which will probably take much longer. I don't want to trash my credit while tracking this guy down and getting my money back. I understand I am probably not the only guy he has done this to anyways, I know of at least two others for much larger sums.
Based on that info from creditkarma, does that mean if I pay up both cards up to date with the minimum payments, and begin making regular monthly payments, my credit will not be affected?

There's no guarantee of that. Citi may just be late in reporting.

That said, if they're inclined not to report, not paying it completely now will increase the chances they do ultimately report.

Then again, if you pay it off now, and it ultimately does get reported, and your credit gets wrecked anyway, you'll lose the ability to "settle the amount" (i.e. pay less than the $15K you owe).

Tricky spot, though the folks at CB (mentioned above) likely have greater insight into Citi's practices.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: October 24, 2019, 05:14:38 PM »

No, that's incorrect.  In fact, for this purpose, it's perfectly useful as a proxy for derogatory marks.  If his/her score is 650 (or lower), OP may be able to assume there is some derogatory mark (assuming he otherwise had good credit). Though, of course, as I said, OP can just directly check for derogatory marks on the reports from which they provide info.

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: October 24, 2019, 05:17:20 PM »
There's no guarantee of that. Citi may just be late in reporting.

That said, if they're inclined not to report, not paying it completely now will increase the chances they do ultimately report.

Then again, if you pay it off now, and it ultimately does get reported, and your credit gets wrecked anyway, you'll lose the ability to "settle the amount" (i.e. pay less than the $15K you owe).

Tricky spot, though the folks at CB (mentioned above) likely have greater insight into Citi's practices.
Now I'm very confused.
If I make all the minimum payments up to date, it may make it MORE likely for them to report?

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: October 24, 2019, 05:18:36 PM »
No, that's incorrect.
CK could be accurate or 100-200+ points off. 100% useless for credit score purpose!!!

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3630 on: October 24, 2019, 05:20:08 PM »
Even if the score is wrong, can I assume this means that it has not yet registered as a late?
If the report is up to date the late should show. Get your current report directly from one of the CRA's.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: October 24, 2019, 05:23:19 PM »
Now I'm very confused.
If I make all the minimum payments up to date, it may make it MORE likely for them to report?
Can you login and see your statements? You need to find out exactly where you stand before you can proceed.

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: October 24, 2019, 05:26:34 PM »
Can you login and see your statements? You need to find out exactly where you stand before you can proceed.
I can't really login, I dont actually have the cards!!
I spoke to customer service last night for a while. They gave me details. There was one single charge on June 11th, on both cards. They were both closed by Citi on July 1st.
What other specific info am I looking for? The bills are going to someplace in Suffern, NY, wherever that is.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: October 24, 2019, 05:29:12 PM »
I can't really login, I dont actually have the cards!!
I spoke to customer service last night for a while. They gave me details. There was one single charge on June 11th, on both cards. They were both closed by Citi on July 1st.
What other specific info am I looking for? The bills are going to someplace in Suffern, NY, wherever that is.
You don't have a login for the accounts?
Have any payments been made on the cards?

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: October 24, 2019, 05:32:23 PM »
You don't have a login for the accounts?
Have any payments been made on the cards?
I dont. The guy who was using the cards does...
Payments were made on both cards up to the point when they were cancelled. Until then, they were all up to date (thats what the rep told me last night)

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: October 24, 2019, 05:35:40 PM »
Likely, your best hope is to pay it off and then write a goodwill letter, but I'd run it by the folks at creditboards.com.

Do you mean, post my story there, like I did here?

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: October 24, 2019, 05:38:41 PM »
I dont. The guy who was using the cards does...
Payments were made on both cards up to the point when they were cancelled. Until then, they were all up to date (thats what the rep told me last night)
I would ask them when the last payment was missed. Either way ask what you need to do to bring these cards current.
Who cancelled the cards? Citi or your friend?

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: October 24, 2019, 05:39:59 PM »
Do you mean, post my story there, like I did here?
A goodwill letter is acknowledging you messed up and asking as a one time curtesy to remove the late. Creditboards deals with this stuff all the time.
Yes post there.

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: October 24, 2019, 05:42:00 PM »
I would ask them when the last payment was missed. Either way ask what you need to do to bring these cards current.
Who cancelled the cards? Citi or your friend?
The last missed payment was July.
Citi cancelled the cards.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: October 24, 2019, 05:44:07 PM »
The last missed payment was July.
Citi cancelled the cards.
This is what is confusing. They were up to date to July but Citi closed them on 7/1? Why they close them?