Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1182599 times)

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #3640 on: October 24, 2019, 05:59:03 PM »
I’m not sure but I assume they figured out his guy was doing all that spending on the account. I’m not the only one who he opened cards for.

Offline Abet rich

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz PC, National EE
« Reply #3641 on: October 24, 2019, 06:01:34 PM »
The blue jay charges were probably fake charges for MS spending that triggered them to shut down based on the spending pattern
Contact me at abereich19@gmail.com for all help and info.

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: October 28, 2019, 08:58:50 PM »
So I’m getting confused about one point and hoping someone can clarify:
I did give my card to someone in January and gave him permission to use it for a few months. All those bills were paid in full, on time. I texted him in April to stop and close the accounts, and he said he would. Only problem was, he kept using them instead! The bills were still paid on time,except for the final charge which was never paid and citi closed the cards only three weeks after that charge. That June charge was most definitely unauthorized by me, and I have no idea actually what happened, as I can’t reach the person who originally borrowed my cards.
Can I claim the charge was unauthorized, or since I at one point lent him my card I can’t ?

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: October 28, 2019, 09:25:26 PM »
I did give my card to someone in January and gave him permission to use it for a few months. All those bills were paid in full, on time. I texted him in April to stop and close the accounts, and he said he would. Only problem was, he kept using them instead! The bills were still paid on time,except for the final charge which was never paid and citi closed the cards only three weeks after that charge. That June charge was most definitely unauthorized by me, and I have no idea actually what happened, as I can’t reach the person who originally borrowed my cards.
Can I claim the charge was unauthorized, or since I at one point lent him my card I can’t ?
what if you call in the card as missing/stolen?

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #3644 on: October 28, 2019, 09:30:32 PM »
what if you call in the card as missing/stolen?
Than you lied to  and stole from them and can get prosecuted for that
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3645 on: October 28, 2019, 09:31:50 PM »
It wasn’t technically stolen... I gave it to someone, and I trusted him to close it when I told him to.

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: October 28, 2019, 09:35:44 PM »
My basic argument is, maybe I shouldn’t have lent him my card in the first place. But I did, and all those bills were paid in full on time. Only after I withdrew permission and told him to close them, did he stop paying the bills! So can I claim the charge is unauthorized, or does my original permission make that claim no good?

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: October 28, 2019, 10:16:10 PM »
Charges made after you told him to stop were unauthorised.

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #3648 on: October 28, 2019, 10:20:32 PM »
Charges made after you told him to stop were unauthorised.
seems like he just stopped paying the bills with no additional charges made than. sounds authorized to me
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: October 28, 2019, 10:22:04 PM »
He says there was a June charge after he told him in April to stop.

Offline pointer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: October 28, 2019, 10:26:03 PM »
seems like he just stopped paying the bills with no additional charges made than. sounds authorized to me
I texted him in April to stop and close the accounts, and he said he would. Only problem was, he kept using them instead! The bills were still paid on time,except for the final charge which was never paid and citi closed the cards only three weeks after that charge. That June charge was most definitely unauthorized by me, and I have no idea actually what happened, as I can’t reach the person who originally borrowed my cards.

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #3651 on: October 28, 2019, 10:26:50 PM »
I would get legal advice first before proceeding down this route.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline yossig

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: October 29, 2019, 09:32:27 AM »
It wasn’t technically stolen... I gave it to someone, and I trusted him to close it when I told him to.
was the card charged previously by the same merchant as the last charge?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:58:20 AM by yossig »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3653 on: October 29, 2019, 09:43:53 AM »
I'm not a lawyer, but if there are charges that are legitimately not authorized and you're ok reporting the person who charged them fraudulently, I'd say go ahead and dispute due to fraud.

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: October 29, 2019, 10:45:49 AM »
was the card charged previously by the same merchant as the last charge?
The charge made on June 11 (3 months after I told him to close my card) was a new merchant.
I would get legal advice first before proceeding down this route.
Anyone know of a reliable legal person who would be able to assist?

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: October 29, 2019, 10:46:39 AM »
I'm not a lawyer, but if there are charges that are legitimately not authorized and you're ok reporting the person who charged them fraudulently, I'd say go ahead and dispute due to fraud.
I don't in fact know for sure who made that charge. I can guess, but I really have no idea.

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: October 29, 2019, 11:25:15 AM »
I don't in fact know for sure who made that charge. I can guess, but I really have no idea.
Then why would you NOT report as unauthorized?

For all you know this guy himself got scammed/hacked and someone else made this last charge...

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: October 29, 2019, 11:39:01 AM »
Then why would you NOT report as unauthorized?

For all you know this guy himself got scammed/hacked and someone else made this last charge...
That's true.
My hesitation is only ignorance of the rules of the game. Since I made a boo-boo by giving him my card initially, does that get me in hot water even if down the line I told him to stop and he didnt listen to me?

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: October 29, 2019, 11:48:36 AM »
That's true.
My hesitation is only ignorance of the rules of the game. Since I made a boo-boo by giving him my card initially, does that get me in hot water even if down the line I told him to stop and he didnt listen to me?
No, unless there's more to the story.

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #3659 on: October 29, 2019, 12:05:49 PM »
No, unless there's more to the story.
I would be careful giving advice like this.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half