Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1199696 times)

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #3760 on: May 31, 2020, 02:23:34 AM »
Sounds like AMEX, but why are they trying to hide that?
Not good for PR to be on a press release that someone has managed to defraud you.

The federal gov works hand in hand with big Corp.  not only to keep the financial system safe but also to make it look good.

I found the cpm to be more interesting, 1.04.
Isn't that what we all guess they pay, some more and some less but around there.

Were people doing this with chase?

Was this the typical sign up ad? Some of them asked you what your income is.

Why did he even have to do real spend?
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: May 31, 2020, 02:31:15 AM »
Not good for PR to be on a press release that someone has managed to defraud you.

The federal gov works hand in hand with big Corp.  not only to keep the financial system safe but also to make it look good.
Isn't that what we all guess they pay, some more and some less but around there.

Were people doing this with chase?

Was this the typical sign up ad? Some of them asked you what your income is.

Why did he even have to do real spend?
well on that volume it's probably difficult to do real spend, also he probably never planned on getting caught...
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: May 31, 2020, 02:31:58 AM »
well on that volume it's probably difficult to do real spend, also he probably never planned on getting caught...
though I guess seeing as this guy was swiping for him it simply would have just cost him 3% or so more

― Aristotle

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: May 31, 2020, 12:04:53 PM »
though I guess seeing as this guy was swiping for him it simply would have just cost him 3% or so more
But doing the math now, so allegedly they made 8 million, which was 790 million points. According to my math that's 1.01 per point. Assuming that 790 mil was on average 10k signup offers for 100k, so the spend required was 79 million approximately. A conservative 2.5% swiping cost would have cost that just under 2 million, and if the total they gained was 8 million, that would have been a quarter of their profit. Though if the signup was 5k for 100k, then that number would have, additionally the spend itself would have netted them 1-1.5 back likely so a few dollars cheaper.

― Aristotle

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3764 on: May 31, 2020, 12:07:31 PM »
But doing the math now, so allegedly they made 8 million, which was 790 million points. According to my math that's 1.01 per point. Assuming that 790 mil was on average 10k signup offers for 100k, so the spend required was 79 million approximately. A conservative 2.5% swiping cost would have cost that just under 2 million, and if the total they gained was 8 million, that would have been a quarter of their profit. Though if the signup was 5k for 100k, then that number would have, additionally the spend itself would have netted them 1-1.5 back likely so a few dollars cheaper.
Question is, would they have gotten caught if they did legit spending?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #3765 on: May 31, 2020, 12:17:10 PM »
or - would they have gotten charged.

― Aristotle

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #3766 on: May 31, 2020, 12:42:31 PM »

Case would have been way weaker.

Offline pointer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: May 31, 2020, 12:43:08 PM »
It sounds that part of the fraud was obtaining the points through fake spending, Is this really illegal ?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3768 on: May 31, 2020, 12:44:00 PM »
It sounds that part of the fraud was obtaining the points through fake spending, Is this really illegal ?
It's fraud, sure. They're probably not going to take someone to court for doing on their account, but PGFHGS.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline thompson182

• Non-Elite Member
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: June 12, 2020, 09:37:22 PM »
Mys is a joke. Had a package arrive Monday. Still not checked in. Used to be a good service. Customer service and turnaround time now makes them not a viable option anymore.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #3770 on: June 14, 2020, 01:42:30 PM »
I told him PGFHGS. Comes true more often than not.
For everyone that gets slaughter there are 10, 100 or more that go untouched.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: June 14, 2020, 02:03:58 PM »
Mys is a joke. Had a package arrive Monday. Still not checked in. Used to be a good service. Customer service and turnaround time now makes them not a viable option anymore.
thats a heavy post for someone with a 0 post count

Offline thompson182

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: June 14, 2020, 02:14:40 PM »

I've lurked for a while. Plus done prob the better part of 1mm with the buying groups. Never been irked enough or needed to post. Not promoting a rival group or anything. Just irritated.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #3773 on: June 14, 2020, 07:38:14 PM »
+1

Also, all the other gown stores around Lakewood are just not offering proper service any more. They used to be good but it seems Gowns By Shevy is the only viable option left. 🙃
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: June 14, 2020, 07:42:30 PM »
+1

Also, all the other gown stores around Lakewood are just not offering proper service any more. They used to be good but it seems Gowns By Shevy is the only viable option left. 🙃
lol!!

― Aristotle

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: June 15, 2020, 01:44:18 AM »
I've lurked for a while. Plus done prob the better part of 1mm with the buying groups. Never been irked enough or needed to post. Not promoting a rival group or anything. Just irritated.
if u have done as much buying groups as u say, u would not be especially irked by whatever is going on now with mys. im not saying its always a pleasure, but theyre not being any more delayed now than before, if anything theyre on the quick side these days.

Offline thompson182

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: June 15, 2020, 10:16:51 AM »
if u have done as much buying groups as u say, u would not be especially irked by whatever is going on now with mys. im not saying its always a pleasure, but theyre not being any more delayed now than before, if anything theyre on the quick side these days.

Seems in the past its taken 3-4 days max. Today will be a week. I get the low post count, no agenda from me tho other than wanting my shipments checked in...  I'll gladly update if it gets checked in I hope it does.

Offline Joeymc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: June 15, 2020, 04:36:15 PM »
Seems in the past its taken 3-4 days max. Today will be a week. I get the low post count, no agenda from me tho other than wanting my shipments checked in...  I'll gladly update if it gets checked in I hope it does.
Just wondering, do you put the tracking numbers into their system or you just order with your ID and wait for them to scan it in?
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Offline thompson182

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: June 15, 2020, 04:46:06 PM »
Just wondering, do you put the tracking numbers into their system or you just order with your ID and wait for them to scan it in?

Shipped via FedEx, tracking number didn't change.  Entered into order management same day it shipped.

Offline Joeymc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: June 21, 2020, 05:33:55 PM »
Shipped via FedEx, tracking number didn't change.  Entered into order management same day it shipped.
Any update?

I had a package delivered to them a week ago and they scanned it in today.
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-