Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1183007 times)

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile

Offline Mo2

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #4441 on: January 05, 2022, 12:16:07 AM »
Can't speak from experience as I've been using ally but they chase will shut down pretty quickly especially if afterwards paying a chase CC with it
Ally just shut me down.
No reason given. But got this from Executive Customer Relations after asking for more info:

Thank you for contacting Ally Bank. In support of our commitment to quality, your recent interaction with Customer Care regarding an advanced closure notice was forwarded to Executive Customer Relations for review. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concern.

At Ally Bank, the security of our customers' accounts is critical. As a result, we continuously monitor new and existing customer transactions and relationships for unusual activity. In reviewing your transactions, we identified recurring patterns of activity that exposed you and Ally Bank to risk of loss.

Based on the activity in your accounts, we made the difficult decision to end our account relationship with you. On December 14, 2021, we mailed a letter to your address on file informing you of our business decision to close your accounts ending in *** and **** on or about January 18, 2022. A copy of the correspondence has been enclosed for your convenience.
Common sense is not a gift, it is a punishment.
Because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

Offline Mo2

• View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: January 05, 2022, 12:35:06 AM »
Ally just shut me down.
No reason given. But got this from Executive Customer Relations after asking for more info:

Thank you for contacting Ally Bank. In support of our commitment to quality, your recent interaction with Customer Care regarding an advanced closure notice was forwarded to Executive Customer Relations for review. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concern.

At Ally Bank, the security of our customers' accounts is critical. As a result, we continuously monitor new and existing customer transactions and relationships for unusual activity. In reviewing your transactions, we identified recurring patterns of activity that exposed you and Ally Bank to risk of loss.

Based on the activity in your accounts, we made the difficult decision to end our account relationship with you. On December 14, 2021, we mailed a letter to your address on file informing you of our business decision to close your accounts ending in *** and **** on or about January 18, 2022. A copy of the correspondence has been enclosed for your convenience.
I liked Ally. Free. Not connected to any of my CC's. Easy eCheck deposit with high amounts. Good checkings/savings setup. don't know what triggered it now but I need a new bank for this. 

Any suggestions?

Can using capital 1 360 potentially shut down my Cap1 CC's?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: January 05, 2022, 12:37:44 AM »
I liked Ally. Free. Not connected to any of my CC's. Easy eCheck deposit with high amounts. Good checkings/savings setup. don't know what triggered it now but I need a new bank for this. 

Any suggestions?

Not to be nosey, but what kind of volume triggered this at Ally?

Or was it a balance that was very close to 0 all the time, because money would get deposited from 3rd parties (BGs) and immediately go out to CCs?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline 1avigrun

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: January 05, 2022, 12:38:52 AM »

Any suggestions?

I always use cap1 360 but I never use my cap1 cards for BG

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: January 05, 2022, 12:53:39 AM »
With allies like these...

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #4446 on: January 05, 2022, 01:07:39 AM »
With allies like these...
... you need CU's.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: January 05, 2022, 01:19:47 AM »
Any suggestion for a good checking account in Lakewood, with a nice bonus - w/o direct deposit?
This looks pretty good for a business account: https://www.santanderbank.com/pages/business/ntb-500
Anyone get shut down by Santander? Any experience in general with them?
Thanks.

Online Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: January 05, 2022, 01:23:16 AM »
This looks pretty good for a business account: https://www.santanderbank.com/pages/business/ntb-500
Anyone get shut down by Santander? Any experience in general with them?
Thanks.
Never had issues depositing BG checks into Santander

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: January 05, 2022, 01:25:34 AM »
:)
How is their service in general?

Online Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: January 05, 2022, 01:30:16 AM »
:)
How is their service in general?
It's fine/does the job. However don't expect Chase etc., it's definitely a lower tier.

Offline LoLo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: January 05, 2022, 02:22:18 AM »
+1 

Don't expect Chase etc., it's definitely a lower tier.
+1

Offline Mo2

• View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: January 05, 2022, 10:48:58 AM »
Not to be nosey, but what kind of volume triggered this at Ally?

Or was it a balance that was very close to 0 all the time, because money would get deposited from 3rd parties (BGs) and immediately go out to CCs?
Thanks for being nosey. Really! How else would this forum be able to be helpful?

Volume in busier times like Prime day and BF was approx 40k a month of incoming checks/ACH.
Which is substantial but no where near the volume some ppl on here do.
Balance never 0. Always havd at least about 20k sitting in accounts.

Doing this for a few years with no issues. The only change is that I started using new groups. I used to only do MYS, PM and USA but this BF I added TDB, BFMR & EMB. (But kept same total volume)

I guess it's possible that receiving checks /ACH from these new places triggered or they don't like one of those companies for some reason.

Offline gozalim

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: January 05, 2022, 11:59:04 AM »
Thanks for being nosey. Really! How else would this forum be able to be helpful?

Volume in busier times like Prime day and BF was approx 40k a month of incoming checks/ACH.
Which is substantial but no where near the volume some ppl on here do.
Balance never 0. Always havd at least about 20k sitting in accounts.

Doing this for a few years with no issues. The only change is that I started using new groups. I used to only do MYS, PM and USA but this BF I added TDB, BFMR & EMB. (But kept same total volume)

I guess it's possible that receiving checks /ACH from these new places triggered or they don't like one of those companies for some reason.

my ignorant guess.
To put differently, that's a danger you can't 'careful' your way out of. If they one day have a problem with one bg, they can decide to shut down all associated accounts.
One reason ppl prefer 'disposable' accounts...

Offline Mo2

• View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: January 05, 2022, 04:58:47 PM »
my ignorant guess.
To put differently, that's a danger you can't 'careful' your way out of. If they one day have a problem with one bg, they can decide to shut down all associated accounts.
One reason ppl prefer 'disposable' accounts...
BH this was my "Disposable" account. I do my normal banking with Chase and BoA.
I'm just looking for suggestions for a new disposable account now

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #4455 on: January 05, 2022, 07:23:56 PM »
I tried this and haven't gotten a code from them. Would anyone else like to try it and report back what happens? It actually looks like a very good deal. Needs $5000 in account to avoid monthly fee. No direct deposit required.
https://www.santanderbank.com/pages/business/ntb-500
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 09:19:56 PM by Iz »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: January 05, 2022, 07:32:50 PM »
I tried this and haven't gotten a code from them. Would anyone else like to try it and report back what happens? It actually looks like a very good deal. Needs $5000 in account to avoid monthly fee. No direct ceposit required.
https://www.santanderbank.com/pages/business/ntb-500

Per the fine print, you only need to deposit $3,500 for 90 days if you don’t mind eating the fees.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: January 05, 2022, 07:36:11 PM »
Per the fine print, you only need to deposit $3,500 for 90 days if you don’t mind eating the fees.
Correct. I wrote 5k in order to avoid the fees.  ;)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: January 05, 2022, 07:41:26 PM »
Correct. I wrote 5k in order to avoid the fees.  ;)

Not a contradiction, in fact maybe they’re hoping people won’t notice, park the $3,500x and they’ll make some of that money back in fees…

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: January 05, 2022, 07:42:19 PM »
Not a contradiction, in fact maybe they’re hoping people won’t notice, park the $3,500x and they’ll make some of that money back in fees…
Sneaky >:(