Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1182627 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #4560 on: January 13, 2022, 04:37:25 PM »
I got shut down by Amex. Reason unknown. I suspect for depositing checks from BG.

Yeah, that's known A/A trigger.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: January 13, 2022, 06:28:21 PM »
Yeah, that's known A/A trigger.
Paying Amex bills with BG checks? Or are we talking about "depositing"?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: January 13, 2022, 06:54:52 PM »
Paying Amex bills with BG checks? Or are we talking about "depositing"?

What does “depositing” mean? Amex can’t see what you deposit to your bank account, so that’s obviously not a trigger. So yes, I’m presuming that by “depositing” the OP means paying their Amex bill with BG check.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Mo2

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: January 13, 2022, 06:56:49 PM »
What does “depositing” mean? Amex can’t see what you deposit to your bank account, so that’s obviously not a trigger. So yes, I’m presuming that by “depositing” the OP means paying their Amex bill with BG check.
unless it's depositing to an Amex Personal Savings account
Common sense is not a gift, it is a punishment.
Because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: January 13, 2022, 06:59:35 PM »
Exactly my question.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: January 13, 2022, 06:59:52 PM »

I guess that’s possible. That’s not a known trigger, but if the two Amex entities are closely affiliated it certainly makes sense they’d pick up on this.

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: January 13, 2022, 07:27:51 PM »
At first I was depositing these checks to a Chase business account, and I was told here not to do that. So then I started getting checks made out to Amex, and now I hear that that is also a bad idea. So there is no alternative to having a dedicated bank account for this?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: January 13, 2022, 07:41:15 PM »
At first I was depositing these checks to a Chase business account, and I was told here not to do that. So then I started getting checks made out to Amex, and now I hear that that is also a bad idea. So there is no alternative to having a dedicated bank account for this?

certainly not a bank affiliated with any CC issuers.

Offline 1avigrun

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: January 13, 2022, 08:09:19 PM »
certainly not a bank affiliated with any CC issuers.
Just use a different bank than the ones you use there credit card for the spending

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: January 13, 2022, 08:12:33 PM »
I'm just surprised that it is a known trigger for Amex AA, as I thought I saw upthread that Amex does not have an issue with this.

Online myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #4570 on: January 13, 2022, 08:17:47 PM »
Where's the thread about chase shutting down accounts?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: January 13, 2022, 08:22:48 PM »

Online free123cc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: January 15, 2022, 08:08:00 PM »
Are you on any of their whatapp groups? Just PM the admins of their groups

I am not on any of their what’s app groups, however have some SUB to hit so would like to join those 2 groups. Any contact info would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Mo2

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: January 15, 2022, 11:33:19 PM »
I am not on any of their what’s app groups, however have some SUB to hit so would like to join those 2 groups. Any contact info would be appreciated. Thanks
go to their sites and create an account with them.
info@pointsmaker.com
Common sense is not a gift, it is a punishment.
Because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

Online Mf1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: January 16, 2022, 12:45:44 PM »
What buying group has an address that actually works for best buy, or any tips as to how make it not get cancelled?

Online ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4575 on: January 19, 2022, 04:01:17 AM »
Easy Reconciliation

I place orders on the go. Meaning not a a computer. So I don’t have the means of entering this info on a excel sheet when I place the order.

When I get a email with shipping notification, I follow that link and I copy the tracking number and enter it into the receiving BG’s portal order management, so I know if my orders were all checked in. Currently I have 5 tracking numbers in the order management which are over a month old and not checked in. but I don’t know which items they were.
Amazon does not show tracking number on the website on orders over a month. I have to wait till amazon fixes the ordering reports to find that information.

Another issue I have now. A BG sent me a email that they received a item which they are not buying. All they gave me was a tracking number , they don’t know from whom it’s from. Amazon, walmart, Home Depot or any other vendors, I have to wait till the warehouse calms down from the holiday rush so they can tell me which item it was and it maybe to late for me to return it.
You place orders on the go.  OK
Then later, you enter it into a spreadsheet.
Amazon, etc has a list of orders.  with order numbers.  and when you get tracking emails - you enter it on the spreadsheet besides on the BG site.
More bookkeeping.  More information available.  You can now refer to the spreadsheet when you have an orphan tracking number.
Good luck.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline SpeedyRamsey

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Buying Groups Pro & Cons
« Reply #4576 on: January 24, 2022, 01:00:22 PM »
Possibly writing an article in one of the reward sites on the Pros & cons of each of the major buying groups.

Many people have been burnt not just from giving people their credit cards, but also from buying themselves for buying groups.

I believe the risk involved is not known to newcomers & it is Halachicly okay to point out all confirmed negative information about these groups.

(planning on reviewing standard buying groups & some coin groups)

Anyone who has any useful information (that they can show proof of) please DM me.

Online Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
Re: Buying Groups Pro & Cons
« Reply #4577 on: January 24, 2022, 01:02:38 PM »
Possibly writing an article in one of the reward sites on the Pros & cons of each of the major buying groups.

Many people have been burnt not just from giving people their credit cards, but also from buying themselves for buying groups.

I believe the risk involved is not known to newcomers & it is Halachicly okay to point out all confirmed negative information about these groups.

Anyone who has any useful information (that they can show proof of) please DM me.
there is a thread for buying group info

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.0;topicseen

Online Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
Re: Buying Groups Pro & Cons
« Reply #4578 on: January 24, 2022, 01:04:17 PM »
Assuming said rewards site is not DDMS, it seems a bit strange to use DDF to gather information for an article on a competing site, doesn't it?

ETA:

You believe, or you asked a rav? I don't have any reason to defend the BGs but if an article would impact people's businesses I think a rav ought to be consulted before publishing...

Offline SpeedyRamsey

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: January 24, 2022, 01:05:14 PM »