Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1182858 times)

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« on: January 01, 2014, 08:45:19 PM »
Over the past few months many stories have come to my attention of people swiping for companies or people, and getting scammed to the tune of $100k+ each.

I'm not saying you can't offer to put something on your credit card for someone, but be smart. Even the most honest trustworthy people can hit a rough patch and be unable to pay back.

The specific stories I've been told were of out right scammers. Some had a great reputation, and were part of a community.

Bottom line - At the very least, consider swiping for someone an investment with risk. Don't put down more money than you can afford to lose. Even million dollar companies go under. Ask yourself, are you really willing to risk $20-50k and up for a few points?

If you believe you can trust someone, you should still have a hard limit in the range you can afford to lose, and don't go over it. The guy has truckloads of cash? Then let him prepay you, or put the money in escrow.

This is a very serious matter. Lives have been ruined. You've been warned.

Please don't PM for details. They won't be answered
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Online ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 08:48:20 PM »
So you mean i should ignore the sign in shul advertising a company that will apply for an AMEX plat on behalf of the shul and do all spending?

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 08:50:18 PM »
Its very simple, when you swipe for a business you are lending money to a business, not an individual. There is a darn good reason why that business needs your credit card for cash flow...

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 08:50:54 PM »
So you mean i should ignore the sign in shul advertising a company that will apply for an AMEX plat on behalf of the shul and do all spending?
You should ignore it for other reasons! :D

Offline Myccrabbi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 08:52:49 PM »
Over the past few months many stories have come to my attention of people swiping for companies or people, and getting scammed to the tune of $100k+ each.

I'm not saying you can't offer to put something on your credit card for someone, but be smart. Even the most honest trustworthy people can hit a rough patch and be unable to pay back.

The specific stories I've been told were of out right scammers. Some had a great reputation, and were part of a community.

Bottom line - At the very least, consider swiping for someone an investment with risk. Don't put down more money than you can afford to lose. Even million dollar companies go under. Ask yourself, are you really willing to risk $20-50k and up for a few points?

If you believe you can trust someone, you should still have a hard limit in the range you can afford to lose, and don't go over it. The guy has truckloads of cash? Then let him prepay you, or put the money in escrow.

This is a very serious matter. Lives have been ruined. You've been warned.

Please don't PM for details. They won't be answered
very upsetting to hear:(
But so true!
I have a friend who got scammed by a friend of his into funding a summer camp with his card, after summer keeps telling him another day, another day.....
Don't think he ever saw the money yet,and he claims it was a "good" friend.
If u work for a living, why kill urself working?

Offline raphy781

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 08:55:18 PM »
Terrible when it happens with siblings/other family members.

Offline daganster

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 08:56:47 PM »
Once people are scammed they are usually ashamed, so they keep it to themselves and don't tell others. This may explain why there aren't so many stories surfacing. Bottom line the more it's discussed the more we can prevent future scams.

Offline menachem_m

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 08:59:24 PM »
If you do it on a business cc, can't that "business" just declare bankruptcy? It will still go on your personal credit report, but will you as an individual have to file as well?

Offline daganster

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 09:05:33 PM »
If you do it on a business cc, can't that "business" just declare bankruptcy? It will still go on your personal credit report, but will you as an individual have to file as well?
Regardless I don't think anyone wants to hire a bankruptcy lawyer.

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 09:07:46 PM »
The business is most probably not a legal entity.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 09:44:46 PM »
Once people are scammed they are usually ashamed, so they keep it to themselves and don't tell others. This may explain why there aren't so many stories surfacing. Bottom line the more it's discussed the more we can prevent future scams.
Much like people who were molested as a child, nebach.
But, lately there's been a movement/website to expose predators and victims have come out with their stories, and I have no doubt it's helping minimize these stories.

I firmly believe there should be such a site put up for the wide community, the public should be warned to stay away from those individuals and these people should be put to shame for their actions.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline Myccrabbi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 09:47:22 PM »
Much like people who were molested as a child, nebach.
But, lately there's been a movement/website to expose predators and victims have come out with their stories, and I have no doubt it's helping minimize these stories.

I firmly believe there should be such a site put up for the wide community, the public should be warned to stay away from those individuals and these people should be put to shame for their actions.
I think @mesh spoke up about this in past threads.

Offline menachem_m

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 09:49:59 PM »
Not everyone does it on purpose...

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 09:51:32 PM »
I think @mesh spoke up about this in past threads.
Link?

Offline Myccrabbi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 09:55:56 PM »
Link?
don't have but if I remember correctly it was in the stopover thread.

Offline HP58

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 09:59:58 PM »
Was wondering, are there really suckers willing to leave their financial future in the hands of a total stranger for $5000?!

Offline Myccrabbi

• View Profile

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 10:27:57 PM »
here I found it:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=33259.0
Nice humor, now let's get to business on this thread.
Thanks for the milsa dibdichusa.

Offline Myccrabbi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 10:43:48 PM »
Nice humor, now let's get to business on this thread.
Thanks for the milsa dibdichusa.
the business on this thread was about credit card lending fraud not about molestation, so, back to business...
IMO people should not give out their cards freely, however with proper research trust and small trial then it's ok.