Author Topic: HAS Advantage credit card  (Read 12387 times)

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: HAS Advantage Card
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 03:55:55 PM »
You disagree with what? You can't just say you disagree, you have to take my arguments that I wrote above and say why they're wrong.

Aye aye sir!!
 1- For those on this site who are already matmid members, there is no membership fee at this point.
 2- People on this site have internet access, so you don't have to call the callcenter and pay $10
 3- Fuel surcharge is $295, not $344, when I checked yesterday. You can also take off up to $150, by adding 300 matmid points.
 4- For almost a half year, every year during the winter almost till Pesach, you can get a bonus ticket for 1050 points, which is
42,000 HAS points, instead of 56,000.
 5- You get a easy 2,000 points for being referred by someone for this card, plus another 2,000 points for anyone that is referred by you, even if they only get a collage card.
 6- I disagree that you it is only good for Israel. You get the best value to Israel via Elal, than with any other card, but you can also redeem it for the standard 25,000 points for domestic USA, or 50,000 to Europe. Btw, the OP asked for a ticket to Israel. http://www.hasadvantage.com/rewards_travel.asp
 7- You never need to cancel the card, as it has no annual fee.
 8- If eligible, you get a Visa Signiture Card for all that it may be worth, with regard to buyer protection,ect..
 9- Elal's availability became very good over the last 2 years even close to the date of departure, since they stopped people from holding multiple reservations. The same cannot be said about the other airlines that fly DIRECT to Israel. (You are lucky to find one day a month on the cheapest fare, a few months in advance.) I am referring to Economy class here. I can't afford points for business class like you.
 10- You earn double points in many Jewish stores especially in New York.

I agree that the starwood card is great, but for someone that is looking to only fly Economy nonstop to Israel or only Elal, it is quite a good other card to have to spend money on. A tiny amount of money also goes to Tzedakah, like 'A time' or 'Vaad Harabonim" for example.
   What may also be good for many people out there, is that some people may have flown Elal in the last couple of years, and I have often heard people say that they have 600 matmid points in their account, or 400 points, looking what do do with it. Well for example for someone with 600 points, all he is missing is 800 matmid points, or only 550 points in the winter when you only need 1050, so he can reach those 550 matmid points by earning 22,000 HAS points. So basically he gets a ticket for 22,000/32,000 HAS points, since he already has 600 Matmid points that he has no use for, in his account. Plus he can get 20,000 free Has points for being referred by a cardmember, and then referring another 9 family members or friends that get approved, or more.
    Also you can book ONEWAY Elal tickets for 700 matmid points, so for someone that has already 500 matmid points previously, all you need to do is to be referred by someone, and then spend $6,000 dollars, or refer 3 people, and you got yourself 700 matmid points.
    THIS WAS VERY TIME COMSUMING!!!

Offline mordys

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 05:38:05 PM »
What is better for racking up points with regular spending for a ticket to Israel. Starwood AMEX or the HAS advantage card?
If you plan on earning the flight from straight up credit card spend (and not churn) nothing beats the Travelocity mastercard (http://mytravelocitycard.com/app/japply/lp/27822.jsp?product.IowaEnable=true&legacy=true).
 Every $10K in spending gets you $400 in credit at Travelocity. 
So, for example, if you want to go to Israel on 3/9 and return 3/16, you can get an Iberia flight for $890 at Travelocity.  You only need to spend $20K on the card and contribute $90 to the fare and you have your ticket.  [You also can earn 10,000 miles for the flight on AA.]
Also, there is a signup bonus which is the equivalant of $2500 in spend ($5000 if you pay $50 to transfer $5000 balances over to the card).
This card can't be beat.
I am awaitng mine in the mail, got approved pretty easily. Wil report on how the program works out.

Offline deals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 08:51:47 PM »
If you plan on earning the flight from straight up credit card spend (and not churn) nothing beats the Travelocity mastercard (http://mytravelocitycard.com/app/japply/lp/27822.jsp?product.IowaEnable=true&legacy=true).
So, for example, if you want to go to Israel on 3/9 and return 3/16, you can get an Iberia flight for $890 at Travelocity.  You only need to spend $20K on the card and contribute $90 to the fare and you have your ticket.  [You also can earn 10,000 miles for the flight on AA.]
Also, there is a signup bonus which is the equivalant of $2500 in spend ($5000 if you pay $50 to transfer $5000 balances over to the card).
This card can't be beat.
I am awaitng mine in the mail, got approved pretty easily. Wil report on how the program works out.

wow this sounds amazing will have to check it out

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 02:25:28 AM »
I'm not sure why I can't edit what I wrote before, so I will just add here another benefit of the HAS card with regard to a Elal flight.
  You can take a number of people who have the card, and they can all transfer a few thousand points into one person's matmid account.

Offline mordys

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 03:15:49 PM »
This card can't be beat.

It looks like Barclay's has pulled this offer.
Hope they don't mess with the program for those that have the card allready.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 12:02:33 AM »
It looks like Barclay's has pulled this offer.
Hope they don't mess with the program for those that have the card allready.
Like I said in a different thread, it just ain't worth messing with proprietary programs as they all die a quick death.
Burn 'em if you got 'em before it's over.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline queensdeals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 12:34:12 AM »
Dan-
You never gave your rebuttal to MOEFL's very impressive post above.
For economy jfk-tlv it doesnt seem like *wood beats HAS.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 02:20:51 AM »
I don't have time to answer in depth and this may not be terribly coherent, but

-I don't like that to sign up for Matmid it will cost me $20.  Starwood sure isn't charging me to sign up for their loyalty program.  That's what loyalty means.

-As far as I know, El Al's website was designed by my 7 year old brother.  It's pretty much unusable. Have you see their reward chart recently?

-I just call El Al and confirmed with a rep and her manager that the current surcharge is $346.
And 300 Matmid points to make the fuel surcharge only $200. What's good about that?

-You're limiting yourself to the availability of one airline as opposed to dozens of airlines.

-As for the other rewards.  There is always a catch with these kind of points.  Usually a low limit to how much the tickets can cost.  And the rates for business/first are ridiculously high.

-It may have no annual fee, but nor does it have the benefits of an AMEX like return protection, extended warranty, purchase protection, dispute resolution...

Bottom line is that if I want to pay fuel surcharges I can get to Israel with 20,000 Starpoints.  If I don't want to pay there are options to get to Israel via Starwood for the same as with the Has card but without paying $400 for fuel surcharges.  Plus if you go from LA with the Has card it's way higher.

Starpoints are just so flexible and versatile in their usage, why would you want to limit yourself to something so narrow and limiting just to get a discount on El Al tickets?

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ChaimB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 12:46:15 PM »
Aye aye sir!!
 1- For those on this site who are already matmid members, there is no membership fee at this point.
 2- People on this site have internet access, so you don't have to call the callcenter and pay $10
 3- Fuel surcharge is $295, not $344, when I checked yesterday. You can also take off up to $150, by adding 300 matmid points.
 4- For almost a half year, every year during the winter almost till Pesach, you can get a bonus ticket for 1050 points, which is
42,000 HAS points, instead of 56,000.
 5- You get a easy 2,000 points for being referred by someone for this card, plus another 2,000 points for anyone that is referred by you, even if they only get a collage card.
 6- I disagree that you it is only good for Israel. You get the best value to Israel via Elal, than with any other card, but you can also redeem it for the standard 25,000 points for domestic USA, or 50,000 to Europe. Btw, the OP asked for a ticket to Israel. http://www.hasadvantage.com/rewards_travel.asp
 7- You never need to cancel the card, as it has no annual fee.
 8- If eligible, you get a Visa Signiture Card for all that it may be worth, with regard to buyer protection,ect..
 9- Elal's availability became very good over the last 2 years even close to the date of departure, since they stopped people from holding multiple reservations. The same cannot be said about the other airlines that fly DIRECT to Israel. (You are lucky to find one day a month on the cheapest fare, a few months in advance.) I am referring to Economy class here. I can't afford points for business class like you.
 10- You earn double points in many Jewish stores especially in New York.

I agree that the starwood card is great, but for someone that is looking to only fly Economy nonstop to Israel or only Elal, it is quite a good other card to have to spend money on. A tiny amount of money also goes to Tzedakah, like 'A time' or 'Vaad Harabonim" for example.
   What may also be good for many people out there, is that some people may have flown Elal in the last couple of years, and I have often heard people say that they have 600 matmid points in their account, or 400 points, looking what do do with it. Well for example for someone with 600 points, all he is missing is 800 matmid points, or only 550 points in the winter when you only need 1050, so he can reach those 550 matmid points by earning 22,000 HAS points. So basically he gets a ticket for 22,000/32,000 HAS points, since he already has 600 Matmid points that he has no use for, in his account. Plus he can get 20,000 free Has points for being referred by a cardmember, and then referring another 9 family members or friends that get approved, or more.
    Also you can book ONEWAY Elal tickets for 700 matmid points, so for someone that has already 500 matmid points previously, all you need to do is to be referred by someone, and then spend $6,000 dollars, or refer 3 people, and you got yourself 700 matmid points.
    THIS WAS VERY TIME COMSUMING!!!

Excellent Job !!!

Offline ChaimB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 12:51:41 PM »
I don't have time to answer in depth and this may not be terribly coherent, but

-I don't like that to sign up for Matmid it will cost me $20.  Starwood sure isn't charging me to sign up for their loyalty program.  That's what loyalty means.

-As far as I know, El Al's website was designed by my 7 year old brother.  It's pretty much unusable. Have you see their reward chart recently?

-I just call El Al and confirmed with a rep and her manager that the current surcharge is $346.
And 300 Matmid points to make the fuel surcharge only $200. What's good about that?

-You're limiting yourself to the availability of one airline as opposed to dozens of airlines.

-As for the other rewards.  There is always a catch with these kind of points.  Usually a low limit to how much the tickets can cost.  And the rates for business/first are ridiculously high.

-It may have no annual fee, but nor does it have the benefits of an AMEX like return protection, extended warranty, purchase protection, dispute resolution...

Bottom line is that if I want to pay fuel surcharges I can get to Israel with 20,000 Starpoints.  If I don't want to pay there are options to get to Israel via Starwood for the same as with the Has card but without paying $400 for fuel surcharges.  Plus if you go from LA with the Has card it's way higher.

Starpoints are just so flexible and versatile in their usage, why would you want to limit yourself to something so narrow and limiting just to get a discount on El Al tickets?

not everyone thinks as you do. somepeople would be very happy if they can pay a couple of $100s and fly ElAl. I know its possible with AA but this way might open up a few other ways when award tkts arent available

I take it you paid Chase the $25 for their Debit CO card. But if you dont like paying why did you pay for that.

as for the SPG Amex didnt they overnight a couple of yrs ago make the transfers to UA & CO from 1:1 to 2 (SPG) to 1 UA or CO. So they arent any different then the other CCs they will at a whim change the T&Cs of their program as well

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 01:19:52 PM »
not everyone thinks as you do. somepeople would be very happy if they can pay a couple of $100s and fly ElAl. I know its possible with AA but this way might open up a few other ways when award tkts arent available

I take it you paid Chase the $25 for their Debit CO card. But if you dont like paying why did you pay for that.

as for the SPG Amex didnt they overnight a couple of yrs ago make the transfers to UA & CO from 1:1 to 2 (SPG) to 1 UA or CO. So they arent any different then the other CCs they will at a whim change the T&Cs of their program as well
You'll have to earn 45,000-70,000 HAS points and still pay $400 for an economy ticket.  Plus you're limited to one airline's availability.  Do you honestly feel this is a good deal???  Maybe some do, but I sure don't.  There are many much better currencies for Israel  out there.
SPG to flying blue or ANA both come to mind.  Or even SPG to AA and you'll be working your way towards million miler while redeeming on El Al without surcharges.

And you equating that to paying $25 for 25,000 miles???

And SPG was forced by CO and UA via Chase to change the ratio to 2:1.  It wasn't a nilly willy change by SPG.  And they offer dozens of other great ratios for airlines in every possible alliance or incridle deals at their own hotels.  You have literally millions of redemption options with SPG AMEX.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:29:09 PM by Dan »

Offline ChaimB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 01:55:45 PM »
You'll have to earn 45,000-70,000 HAS points and still pay $400 for an economy ticket.  Plus you're limited to one airline's availability.  Do you honestly feel this is a good deal???  Maybe some do, but I sure don't.  There are many much better currencies for Israel  out there.
SPG to flying blue or ANA both come to mind.  Or even SPG to AA and you'll be working your way towards million miler while redeeming on El Al without surcharges.

And you equating that to paying $25 for 25,000 miles???

And SPG was forced by CO and UA via Chase to change the ratio to 2:1.  It wasn't a nilly willy change by SPG.  And they offer dozens of other great ratios for airlines in every possible alliance or incridle deals at their own hotels.  You have literally millions of redemption options with SPG AMEX.

I never said Id do it, but if a person only wants to fly ElAl and cant get a tkt via AA then its either having a ton of Amex MR pts and move them to ElAl or have this CC

With tkt prices to TLV usually costing appx 10 cents per EQM its not worth purchasing a tkt unless theres a way to get most of that when the Carriers have Double Miles Promo

as for FB You can keep SkyTeam 5 hrs on their planes from Europe to TLV is way too long and no real Biz class either. DL means no saver tkts and the JFK-TLV flight is usually not offered and if it is its 300k, I dont think using FB pts/miles will open DL from JFK at the Saver amounts

Can you explain why you feel $25 for 25k in CO is worth it but 100K for $75 with BA wasnt????

my pt with UA & CO and SPG.Was anything can happen at anytime. Maybe it will be AA and/or US tonight

The days for accumulating and saving miles or pts is long gone.The Smart person today keeps small balances if at all possible. Its a fool that keeps large balances, and Yes according to that I myself am a FOOL

Offline ChaimB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 02:04:06 PM »
 personally I try my darnest to stay off of ElAl.Yet I know numerous people who Only want to go with ElAl, and there arent many ways to earn Matmid pts, for someone based outside of Israel, and even for those based in israel

So although i cant see myself having this HAS CC. I do understand why its worth it for some people. Thats why it also pays not to bank all of ones miles with 1 Carrier even within the same program. At times a person might beable to use Miles from 1 acct to get a flight that they couldnt get if using miles under the same Alliance but with a different Carrier

I know people that only want to fly out of JFK and dont want to schelp out to EWR, so they are faced with ElAl or DL as the only 2 non-stop choices, if thats a person case Id say they are better with ElAl and maybe HAS as their only way

although I do understand why you said what you have

Offline queensdeals

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 12:46:39 AM »

Bottom line is that if I want to pay fuel surcharges I can get to Israel with 20,000 Starpoints.  If I don't want to pay there are options to get to Israel via Starwood for the same as with the Has card but without paying $400 for fuel surcharges.  Plus if you go from LA with the Has card it's way higher.

Dan or anyone else...
I've been researching the HAS card more lately for a specific group of travelers where it will be beneficial.  I'm just wondering what you wrote, Dan, about LA and Elal not being a good shidduch?  How much are fuel surcharges from LA on rewards tickets?  Is a first class ticket still 5000 matmid points from LAX-TLV non-stop (the tri-weekly flight)?

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2011, 02:26:56 AM »
Dan or anyone else...
I've been researching the HAS card more lately for a specific group of travelers where it will be beneficial.  I'm just wondering what you wrote, Dan, about LA and Elal not being a good shidduch?  How much are fuel surcharges from LA on rewards tickets?  Is a first class ticket still 5000 matmid points from LAX-TLV non-stop (the tri-weekly flight)?
I believe the fuel surcharge is the same, but the points is different. It's 5,400 for first, 4,000 business and 1,800 for economy. There are significant reductions until mid March.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2011, 03:00:38 AM »
I believe the fuel surcharge is the same, but the points is different. It's 5,400 for first, 4,000 business and 1,800 for economy. There are significant reductions until mid March.
5,400, man...
That kind of miles would be enough for 2 RTW tickets in J/F probably on another airline.
El Al miles are a joke and the fuel surcharge just adds to the joke.

Offline tripper

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2011, 11:41:10 AM »
A few other things:
-You can go with a stop to TLV for 20,000 Starpoints with FlyingBlue promo awards, but those can be tricky.
-You can currently go nonstop to TLV for 40,000 Starpoints in coach or about 60,000 Starpoints in Business on Delta or Continental via FlyingBlue or Alitalia.
-AA will put you on a nonstop El Al flight without charging any fuel surcharge.  AA also has a Oneworld chart for even cheaper TLV flights with creative routings.  As far as I understand AA offers the same availability on El Al as El Al does to their own members.
I am looking to book a ticket for the summer to israel. Is there a way to get there with 40000 starpoints through oneworld with aa or flying blue? What are the creative ways of using one world. The representative at aa tells me the cheapest it can be would be 80000 using oneworld.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:56:49 AM by theyoily »

Offline queensdeals

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 12:30:36 PM »
5,400, man...
That kind of miles would be enough for 2 RTW tickets in J/F probably on another airline.
El Al miles are a joke and the fuel surcharge just adds to the joke.

Dan, when flying succos, saver tickets are almost impossible to come by on *A without huge man hour investments searching, and even then can be difficult.  A non stop from LAX - TLV costs 378,000 MR on ELAL when converted over.  A stopover in europe/US on *A would prob cost 300,000 MR for a full fare reward ticket.  And with ELAL, you get the benefit of a direct flight in F not J.  (not to say the LY F is all that great, compared to Swiss or LH, etc.)

Also, I wouldnt suggest someone accumulate matmid points through AMEX (even though they run 20% specials a few times a year).  Here would be a nice utility of HAS card.  2 first tickets from LAX-TLV cost 5,400 x 2 = 10,800 matmid points.  That is 10,800 x 40 = 432000 dollars spent on HAS.  Ticket would normally cost about $8,000 x 2 = $16,000.   A return on a HAS card point of over 3.7 cpm.  Not bad at all.

I'm not advocating this cause its an eggregious waste of miles, but... for some convenience of non stop is worth it. 

Alternatively, you can just buy matmid points at  50-70 cpm.  Would only cost $6,480 (+ $700 in fees) for all 10,800 points to fly non stop in F.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2011, 05:40:36 AM »
I think you're exaggerating how hard *A J/F is even during Succos.  Granted it's not non-stop, but it definitely can be done at saver rates.

$432K in spending for 2 F tickets on El Al is just criminal IMHO, even with that CPM return.  3.7CPM return if good for Y and maybe J, but for F redemptions I look for north of 9 cpm at the minimum.
Buying them at 50cpm (if possible) would be more palatable I suppose.

Offline how

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2011, 12:36:39 PM »
If matmid points are such a joke because of the surcharge - then is it worth it to earn AA miles when flying elal instead of matmid points???