Author Topic: Free Magazine Popular Science  (Read 4337 times)

Offline kracked dude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Re: Free Magazine Popular Science
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 03:46:03 PM »
+1 learning about and seeing the Yad Hashem in the world around us can significantly improve ones emunah and belief in the Torah

Offline CS1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 03:50:20 PM »
+1 learning about and seeing the Yad Hashem in the world around us can significantly improve ones emunah and belief in the Torah
+1
YES! Absolutely! And, even if we cannot understand it all, we know that Hashem makes it happen.

+1  ...
....we still need to rely at least a 'little bit' on Drs, technology (computers, DDF), etc.  BH Hakodesh Boruch Hu gave us science to figure things out.  p.s. Just for the record, science does not absolve anyone from learning or shteiging!
+1 AGREED!!

I wrote what I did in response to this (which is not the mainstream Jewish approach):
Science? feh! science is for goyim...
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline Ask5599

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 03:51:26 PM »
Deal dead

Offline BigDanFan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Biz Platinum, Amex Business Gold, Chase Ink Bold, SW, Delta Gold,etc...
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 03:57:17 PM »
Deal dead
really dead, or scientifically no longer alive..?... how about b'ruchnius? It can come back?... t'Chiyas haMeisim..
(jk...  was deep in the science and G-d thought, and now you write "dead". But it's not forever, right...   ;) jk..  )
#DDSCLE,#DDSLA, spg platinum 2016,

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 04:05:16 PM »
The Aibeshter is in science.. He created it'; He shows miracles every day in it! (teva miracles are sometimes/often higher than 'nes'!)
The more of a genius and "baki"/expert a scientist is, the more he sees and knows about Hashem and His wonders..!!...  :)
Of course, the problem is that the overwhelming majority of modern sceintist are kofrim, reshoim and shotim.
Most current science publications preach "evolution" and hefkeirus/chaos as a "scientific fact", this publication no doubt is full of the same garbage. (and is therefore most probably ossur to read)

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 04:17:12 PM »
Of course, the problem is that the overwhelming majority of modern sceintist are kofrim, reshoim and shotim.
Most current science publications preach "evolution" and hefkeirus/chaos as a "scientific fact", this publication no doubt is full of the same garbage. (and is therefore most probably ossur to read)
Actually, those who have read the magazine know that it has amazing, cutting edge technology,
creative patented electronic gadgets, and opens up kids minds to new possibilities that we have
the potential to create!

We all can emulate Hashem and use His creations, +improve and elevate the world!

Some of the new practical items that came out were first featured in this magazine (the waterproof music headsets/earphones are the first that come to mind. NOT garbage or kefiros at all -- Rather, let the Yidden be on the forefront of inventions!)
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 04:24:48 PM »
Actually, those who have read the magazine know that it has amazing, cutting edge technology,
creative patented electronic gadgets, and opens up kids minds to new possibilities that we have
the potential to create!

We all can emulate Hashem and use His creations, +improve and elevate the world!

Some of the new practical items that came out were first featured in this magazine (the waterproof music headsets/earphones are the first that come to mind. NOT garbage or kefiros at all -- Rather, let the Yidden be on the forefront of inventions!)
Admittedly I've never read it. I am just suspicious of scientific publications unless they are talking about inventions, technology or medicine.

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 04:51:49 PM »
Admittedly I've never read it. I am just suspicious of scientific publications unless they are talking about inventions, technology or medicine.
I know! gimme some more inventions, technology, and medicine, but the rest of it is just garbage, these scientists are such shotim... any yeshiva bochur is anytime as smart as them, just put them up one against the other and let's see who wins...
Astrophysics? nonsense! relativity? a waste of time! quantum physics? doesn't even start to make sense!

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 05:05:30 PM »
I know! gimme some more inventions, technology, and medicine, but the rest of it is just garbage, these scientists are such shotim... any yeshiva bochur is anytime as smart as them, just put them up one against the other and let's see who wins...
Astrophysics? nonsense! thermodynamics? a waste of time! quantum physics? doesn't even start to make sense!
For the main part the scientific community believe in evolution and other utter shtussim, and naarishkeit. This does not mean that they are not intelligent and accomplished. It does mean that are evilly not interested in any accountability for their personal actions. They also push the evil agenda of a belief in a chaotic universe upon unsuspecting children in public schools and universities. /rant

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 08:01:48 PM »
For the main part the scientific community believe in evolution and other utter shtussim, and naarishkeit. This does not mean that they are not intelligent and accomplished. It does mean that are evilly not interested in any accountability for their personal actions. They also push the evil agenda of a belief in a chaotic universe upon unsuspecting children in public schools and universities. /rant
I know, they all steal, kill, and rape at every opportunity. Besides, I don't want to bust your bubble, but there are thousands of Frum Jews שות"מ who believe in evolution via intelligent design, but they are not really frum, right?

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2014, 11:16:34 PM »
There are thousands of Orthodox Jews who believe in the 614th commandment: Thou shalt go to college, where you must absorb as much as possible from the ethics and morals of the academics, the high culture of truth and justice for all and the depravity from the fellow students.
 Its no wonder that they feel pressured to invent new terms like "evolution via intelligent design". They would be fools in the eyes of the american society and academia that they worship, if they simply looked to the heiligeh Torah for a moral, ethical, and societal compass of justice and absolute truth, like yidden have been doing since matan torah.

Yidden since matan torah didn't dismiss the scientific community with nonsensical slogans, they took the scientists seriously, and disagreed if need be. When conflicts between science and the Torah arose they sat down to see how to reconcile those problems and didn't pat their own shoulders saying they are all just evil anti religious demagogues. When the scientists contemplated an עולם קדמון, Maimonides says that if need be the psukim of ששת ימי בראשית could be interpreted as allegory, but he objected to that theory for other reasons. When Copernicus claimed that our solar system is heliocentric and not geocentric, some psukim such as והארץ לעולם עומדת had to be reinterpreted, but most of rabbinic scholars sooner or later accepted the established scientific consensus.

P.S. There are also thousands of Orthodox Jews who believe in the 614th commandment: Thou shalt not go to college.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:19:39 PM by Moishel »

Offline bluiemonster1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2014, 11:26:02 PM »
Yidden since matan torah didn't dismiss the scientific community with nonsensical slogans, they took the scientists seriously, and disagreed if need be. When conflicts between science and the Torah arose they sat down to see how to reconcile those problems and didn't pat their own shoulders saying they are all just evil anti religious demagogues. When the scientists contemplated an עולם קדמון, Maimonides says that if need be the psukim of ששת ימי בראשית could be interpreted as allegory, but he objected to that theory for other reasons. When Copernicus claimed that our solar system is heliocentric and not geocentric, some psukim such as והארץ לעולם עומדת had to be reinterpreted, but most of rabbinic scholars sooner or later accepted the established scientific consensus.

P.S. There are also thousands of Orthodox Jews who believe in the 614th commandment: Thou shalt not go to college.

I would love to quote all the previous posts but that would be huge...i feel it is stupidity to blindly criticize as idiots people whom you have no first hand knowledge of nor their theories. They are smart people who have come to what they consider the most convincing explanations of the facts. That DOES NOT make them correct or good by any means, and they are potentially G-d haters and liars ect ect but that isn't our call. We far too often make this mistake with each other as well. Let the gedolim pass judgment and rely upon their wisdom, quote their words and don't make murky the waters with blind zealously.
P.s. I believe most of what has been said but have not yet formed personal opinions due to lack of knowledge. Rather I follow the lead of those greater than I whose words carry the weight of 2000+ years of tradition.

Offline DovtheBear

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 02:05:42 PM »
"להסתובב זה לא אומר להיות חופשי"

Offline Sport

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2014, 06:34:01 PM »
For some reason I'm getting popular photography and not popular science. Anyone else sign up for the free subscription and experiencing the same thing?

Offline Medic97

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2014, 08:21:47 PM »
For some reason I'm getting popular photography and not popular science. Anyone else sign up for the free subscription and experiencing the same thing?
something happened to me. I thought maybe I made the mistake.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2014, 01:26:27 AM »
I'm getting both -- I think that I signed up for both.