Author Topic: Sprint Framily  (Read 50895 times)

Offline menachem_m

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
Sprint Framily
« on: January 08, 2014, 01:54:12 AM »
Sprint Corp on Tuesday unveiled a new option called "framily" plans that give up to 10 family members or friends big service discounts if they sign up as a group, the latest move in an increasingly competitive market.

Sprint is taking the concept a step further by letting friends and neighbors join "framily" plans and providing them with separate bills.

Because the plan requires each customer to pay for his own cellphone, whether with a one-time payment or on an installment plan, Sprint would also save money on phone subsidies, Hesse said.

The Sprint plan could cost as little as $25 per person for a group of seven people with 1 gigabyte of data each, compared with a $55 monthly bill for a single customer with the same service.

In comparison, Sprint charges more than $48 per person for its more traditional family plans with seven lines.

POTENTIAL FOR FRICTION

However, if somebody decides to leave the plan, it would increase payments for the remaining members. For example, for each person who leaves a "framily" plan, the monthly bill could go up by $5 for each member who stays in the group.

Offline philbenjoe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Avis Prefered
Re: Sprint Framily
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 01:57:03 AM »
Aren't you already committed to a two year plan when you sign up? There would be an early termination fee also.
"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?" Dr Seuss

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 09:27:58 PM »
This could potentially be a better deal than SERO.

Right now, I pay $40 for SERO Premium and an Android device. My wife is still on the old $30 SERO plan, each of us limited to 500 minutes. Most people who want a modern 4G phone have been forced to switch to $50 SEROP + premium 4G phone charge.

But with Framily, if we get 5 other people to join the group, we could each be paying $25 and have unlimited minutes!
The 1GB data cap is interesting, first time for Sprint. But truth be told, I'm on Wifi most of the time so my data hasn't reached 1GB in months. I'd probably opt in for the $10 data add-on to make it 3GB total, I think I could easily handle that as a cap these days. So it woule $35 for me and $25 for her. We each save money, can use newer phones (our current plans limit what phones are available), and have unlimited minutes. This the first time I've ever considered giving up the SERO plan with any amount of serious consideration!
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline master4g

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 02:17:12 PM »
The main question is, do they still add that crazy $10 fee on top if its a smartphone?

Offline jack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 02:31:36 PM »
Any tips on getting out of current contract with sprint?

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 06:52:14 PM »
The main question is, do they still add that crazy $10 fee on top if its a smartphone?

I asked yesterday, there are no device restrictions and even iPhones are allowed. This is most likely because they are now metering data, so heavy users will pay more and light users will pay less, regardless of device. Their excuse for the smartphone / 4G / etc fee was that those devices inherently use more data. So now they are putting their money where their mouth is and saying pay for more data only if you actually need/use it.

Any tips on getting out of current contract with sprint?

Roam a lot, move somewhere they don't have good reception (or at least move your billing address there), or wait for one of those new surcharge changes to come up. That's all I got.

Offline menachem_m

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:24:08 PM »
Roamctrl :D
You will be politely asked to leave very quickly. ;D

Offline Ez

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 02:22:17 AM »
Roamctrl :D
You will be politely asked to leave very quickly. ;D

Manual roaming can only be done with old phones though....

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 05:29:09 PM »
Manual roaming can only be done with old phones though....

Many new phones can have the secret menu unlocked to control roaming, but another option is to switch to an old phone or mess with the PRL.

Offline menachem_m

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 05:35:14 PM »
Or root.

Offline moto

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 05:49:09 PM »
do you have to pay additional $10 dollars on top of the $25 if you want to use a smartphone ?

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 06:13:21 PM »
do you have to pay additional $10 dollars on top of the $25 if you want to use a smartphone ?

Nope. No restrictions on handsets, according to the rep. You can use an iPhone for all they care and still pay only $25 on a qualified plan. I mentioned this in reply #5 above.

Offline cozmohoot

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 07:47:07 PM »
AFAIK, they don't give a discount on the phones like when you sign a 2 year contract. They give an option to pay over time for a new phone.. Didn't look at all details

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 09:04:35 PM »
True, no more phone subsidies on this plan.

I'm OK with that, I usually find a phone that works for me then hold on to it until it does (sometimes I renew contract to get a phone only to flip it on ebay and keep my old one, but I prefer to stay out of contract whenever possible). To a lot of people this is a deal killer, as MSRP for a new phone is a lot of money. But I see this as more like a bring-your-own-device cheapo plan. There are plenty of great second hand phones on ebay these days.

Offline cozmohoot

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 09:41:37 PM »
True, no more phone subsidies on this plan.

I'm OK with that, I usually find a phone that works for me then hold on to it until it does (sometimes I renew contract to get a phone only to flip it on ebay and keep my old one, but I prefer to stay out of contract whenever possible). To a lot of people this is a deal killer, as MSRP for a new phone is a lot of money. But I see this as more like a bring-your-own-device cheapo plan. There are plenty of great second hand phones on ebay these days.
good points. I also sell my upgrade and get something elsewhere

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 10:11:15 PM »
good points. I also sell my upgrade and get something elsewhere

The only cons I've found so far are the lack of subsidies and metered data. There's also the possibility that someone will leave the group and all your rates go up $5. It does appear to be one of their more complicated plans yet, lots of rules to take in, but I think I've got it figured out.

For the base plan, everyone gets 1GB of data. But lines that require more can add on an additional 2 (so it would be 3 total GB) for $10 more. So if you get 7+ people in a group, the base plan is $25 for unlimited talk and text, and 1GB data. For $35, that data limit goes up to 3. If you truly need unlimited data, they also offer a $20 option, making that line $45 (again assuming 7+ people are sticking with you, otherwise it starts higher). That $20 add on also comes with a perk to let you trade in your phone once a year for a newer model, but this is only applicable if you choose to go with paying out a phone purchase monthly.
This is where it gets even more complicated- basically, in order to get a new phone from them and not pay the full MSRP at once, you have the option to pay, lets say $20 a month for 2 years. If you are also paying for unlimited data with Framily, you can choose to trade in that phone for a newer model once every 12 months, the remaining balance is waived and you start over with a new model. So, its sort of loosely like a rental fee.
None of that matters to me as I think paying out a phone is a bad idea when you can just buy a used one cheap.

On that note, I recently bought my daughter a Samsung Transform Ultra, which is a surprisingly smooth little Android 2.3 device with a front camera and sliding keyboard, to replace her broken mp3 player. Its not hooked up to service, but for $35 it does more than any mp3 player, and she can make emergency 911 calls if chas v'shalom she ever has to. Used phones are so cheap I'm buying them to use as other things! :)

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 10:15:55 PM »
Compared to SERO, however (where I'm coming from), it might not make sense if you need unlimited data.
For $50 SEROP gives you subsidized handsets and unlimited data, however capped at 500 minutes. Those minutes are limited to landlines however, as all mobile calls are free to any other network. Switching to Framily with unlimited data only saves you $5 at best, and you lose the subsidies.

But for me, I can't justify paying more than $40, so I'm still on a 3G LG Marquee- that last decent phone before they started requiring new handsets be restricted to a $50 SERO. So as long as I can stay within 3GB, I can be paying $35 and actually use any more recent phone I want. Which seems very nice.

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 10:26:20 PM »
@mordy
The "family plan"  that you mention -  does it require smartphone phones?

I'm on the free & clear plan with 7 lines,  and got a call from sprint executive regulatory dept 2 days ago. 

They said my plan is non-compliant and I have 30 days to switch plans  >:(

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 11:46:05 PM »
@mordy
The "family plan"  that you mention -  does it require smartphone phones?

I'm on the free & clear plan with 7 lines,  and got a call from sprint executive regulatory dept 2 days ago. 

They said my plan is non-compliant and I have 30 days to switch plans  >:(

No, the plan does not have any restrictions on handsets as far as I can tell. That stinks about the executive regulatory thing. What were you paying per line before? With 7 people, it sounds like you have the makings of a plan in-house, and maybe you'll even save money in the long run.

Btw, its not a "family" plan, its fRamily, with an R. As in Friends OR family. It looks like the idea is to make you go out and invite more people to join Sprint, the more people you refer or bring onto your "framily", the cheaper it is for everyone. If you have 7 people already, you don't need to do any recruiting though. You've got all you need.

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 11:51:18 PM »
No, the plan does not have any restrictions on handsets as far as I can tell. That stinks about the executive regulatory thing. What were you paying per line before? With 7 people, it sounds like you have the makings of a plan in-house, and maybe you'll even save money in the long run.

Btw, its not a "family" plan, its fRamily, with an R. As in Friends OR family. It looks like the idea is to make you go out and invite more people to join Sprint, the more people you refer or bring onto your "framily", the cheaper it is for everyone. If you have 7 people already, you don't need to do any recruiting though. You've got all you need.
Thanx for clarifying.

The plan I'm on now is $40 for the base line , and $10 for each additional line.

Plan includes only 1000 minutes , so each month we add on "overage relief minutes" @ $5 per 100 minutes.

The other sprint family plan available now is $50+$40+$30+$20+$20+$20+20 = $200 before taxes .

The framily plan would be $175 before taxes.

Im assuming the framily plan has unlimited texting .  . .