Author Topic: Sprint Framily  (Read 51046 times)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Sprint Framily
« Reply #160 on: March 01, 2014, 10:47:34 PM »
What's your source that it needs to be new to add existing members?

Store rep tried an existing account and it didn't work. Phone rep tried as well and it came down to that. I'm looking for someone who has started a NEw framily to see if it works. Hoping it will.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2014, 12:56:37 PM »
Ok so basically what I've come to understand is that even if I have Sprint I CAN join someone else's Framily plan but only if they made a new plan and didn't have Sprint before.

That being said - Does anyone here have 3 Spots available for a plan that is NEW?

My experience (being that I actually DID this last month) is that anyone can join anyone's Framily plan, as long as they are not currently in a Sprint contract. I joined a group of 5 with my own 2 lines, all of us have been on Sprint for 4+ years. No new lines here. Just no contracts.

Think about it- The purpose of this plan appears to be getting new subscribers. Good prices if you get more people in, plus no contracts make it even more attractive. But Sprint is ultimately afraid that someone might use this to just get out of their current contract early and run off with a free subsidized handset. So to avoid that, they are offering a $15-per-month-contract-buyout fee for the rest of the term of your original contract if you switch. The problem is, since most people are in a contract currently (average person is just waiting for the next phone upgrade), people won't really utilize the new plan as much as they would like. So, they are offering to waive that $15 fee for now in order to get you out there recruiting new users to Sprint!
But if they let you switch out of a contract plan, waive the $15 fee, and join someone else's group (instead of bringing in your own people), then this could very well prove to be a losing proposition for Sprint. That's why that aren't letting it go through- they are letting you out of your contract plan and waiving the fees in order to help get NEW people in, which are you not doing!

Now, it could very well be that if a new group starts and you join THEM, maybe they would let. The rationale being that this new group of users wouldn't have done it without the cheaper price you bring them in joining. So perhaps its almost as if you helped bring them in, and therefore worth letting you get away with the subsidized phone? I'm just guessing here, that information is news to me. I was told that if you are in a contract currently, you were supposed to start a new plan and bring in more people- would be nice if what you are saying is true.

Meanwhile, I'd like to reiterate: If you are not in a contract, I'm proof that you can join someone else's plan, even if they aren't new users! We've all been on Sprint for many years.

By the way, another option might be to change your address to the same one as the person who's plan  you are joining. I've heard that they let people at the same billing address be on the same group as well. I can't verify whether or not that is true.

I was in a sprint store yesterday to service a phone and asked about using an upgrade (Im eligible) , he said they cant do that anymore since they only offer Sprint Framily plans in the store and can only offer phones through  the "Sprint Easy Pay" which works with the Framily plan.

I told him I just saw online the option was still there, he said stores cant offer it anymore and eventually only Framily plans will be available  even online, so there wont be an option anymore to get a subsidized upgrade. He thinks this will totally switch over within the next few months.

Doed anyone have any more info about this, is it correct or just a misinformed rep?

Yes, the rumor on the streets is that Sprint if following T-mobile's footsteps in separating the cost of service with the cost of handsets. In fact, I've heard that this is likely the way all carriers will be going in the next couple of years. That's how they do it everywhere else in the world, we've just been spoiled here and it has had a rather interesting effect on the handset market (low end devices don't sell because you can get the flagship so cheap, which has resulted in a lack of options- see my rant in the s5 thread on this subject for more details). This is happening, and I welcome it! It will bring more competition between handsets, and ultimately bring down prices as well.

Any way to open a new account and join a framily online?
Everything I try doing it says make an appointment

They want you to come into the store to do it. I don't really understand why, something about trying to get more foot traffic into the stores, but that makes no sense to me. I walked in, said I wanted to join this particular framily number, the guy called a special number and waited on hold for 10 min, then said I'm all set and I walked out. I didn't buy a blessid thing, I just wasted some rep's time on the phone when I probably could have spoken to that guy myself if I were allowed to. But whatever, maybe they want people to start getting used to buying handsets in the local stores and this is how they would push that. Not sure.

Ok the Framily plan is making me discombobulated. I'm reading and hearing different things. Even the Sprint reps themselves gave different facts. Bottom line if I'm on an existing plan but got the phone upgrade before January  I could make a framily plan and they'll waive the fifteen dollars fee. But I read somewhere that the courtesy waive will expire by April. Is that true? Also can two existing accounts join under the same terms like mine with the waive if they're in contract??

They are waiving the fee for now because they want people who are excited about it to be allowed to jump in without a penalty. If you see what I wrote earlier, Sprint needs to charge the $15 fee per remaining month of a contract because they pay a portion of your handset price to lock you into a contract. Imagine if someone signs a contract today and gets an iphone for free that is worth $500. Sprint paid for the phone and built that subsidy into the monthly contract price. If they let you leave tomorrow for a Framily plan (which is cheaper because there are no subsidies built in anymore), they lose their investment. They can't afford to let users take advantage of them like that, and that's why the fee exists. But if you joined a long time ago- like, before January when this plan was released, they will be nice and waive the fee because you clearly couldn't have seen this coming and therefore aren't doing it on purpose to take advantage of the system.

I haven't heard the the promotional waived fee for old accounts will stop in April, but I wouldn't be surprised either. They lose money by waiving it, and are only doing it as an investment to kickstart the new Framily plans.
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2014, 01:04:34 PM »

Meanwhile, I'd like to reiterate: If you are not in a contract, I'm proof that you can join someone else's plan, even if they aren't new users! We've all been on Sprint for many years.

That's great to hear. So what am I doing wrong? I've tried going to the store and I've tried calling in. So far nothing has worked.

Offline Rivky

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 03, 2014, 01:05:35 PM »
 So I'm currently in contract. The only way for me to get this framily plan is to start my own ?

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 03, 2014, 01:16:01 PM »
So I'm currently in contract. The only way for me to get this framily plan is to start my own ?

AFAIK, yes.

Offline Adlebo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 03, 2014, 01:22:24 PM »
Just had a chat with Sprint. They told me that existing customers cannot join into framily groups. But I asked him if I switch over ownership of other existing accounts into my account if that will work. The question seemed to stump them but they got back to me and told me that it will work. There is some form online to switch ownerships of accounts and then according to this chat rep you can set up the framily plan on the phone by chat or in the store. Also he told me that later on if you wish you can still split the bills. So that's basically a loophole...

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 03, 2014, 01:51:44 PM »
I posted earlier in this that I was on  the free clear plan with  7 lines,  and sprint gave us 30 days to switch to a newer plan.

We switched to the framily plan.

Some lines were in contract,  and some weren't. 

We didn't get the first bill yet,  so I can't update yet and what it costed us -  and if there were any additional fees. 

It's very annoying that some of the lines were eligible for an upgrade,  and we lost that  :(

Offline whacked1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2014, 01:55:14 PM »

It's very annoying that some of the lines were eligible for an upgrade,  and we lost that  :(
you couldn't update the plan to a regular plan. (Getting all new phones) and than switch right after?

Offline Adlebo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 03, 2014, 02:23:35 PM »
As far as I understood from Sprint today is that they don't offer anymore the Everything Data plans  to new customers. They called it a "sales expired plan". Looks like they want to move everything to framily. But if you're on the ED pan they'll let you keep it and still get the upgrades. I'm not sure about the free and clear plans though. They may force you off that.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #169 on: March 03, 2014, 02:32:07 PM »
you couldn't update the plan to a regular plan. (Getting all new phones) and than switch right after?
Sprint doesn't offer free phones on ANY plan....

Offline Adlebo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 03, 2014, 03:29:48 PM »
Sprint doesn't offer free phones on ANY plan....
Not true according to the Sprint reps. If you're on a ED plan they will still offer subsidized phones like till now. Unless these Sprint reps are clueless which wouldn't surprise me. But if you see somewhere in writing that Sprint will not offer anymore subsidized phones for the ED plans, please provide a link.

Offline yada

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 08, 2014, 09:28:07 PM »
Just had a chat with Sprint. They told me that existing customers cannot join into framily groups. But I asked him if I switch over ownership of other existing accounts into my account if that will work. The question seemed to stump them but they got back to me and told me that it will work. There is some form online to switch ownerships of accounts and then according to this chat rep you can set up the framily plan on the phone by chat or in the store. Also he told me that later on if you wish you can still split the bills. So that's basically a loophole...

What does that mean?  You get the other people that you want to join your framily switched on to  your current plan, and then all move to framily together?  I'm on an ED plan and want to see if I can get to a framily, but I'm only 2 people and don't want to start finding another 5 new people.

Offline Adlebo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 08, 2014, 10:14:24 PM »
What does that mean?  You get the other people that you want to join your framily switched on to  your current plan, and then all move to framily together?  I'm on an ED plan and want to see if I can get to a framily, but I'm only 2 people and don't want to start finding another 5 new people.
You get the existing customers to do a "transfer of ownership" to you.  Once you're technically in charge of "paying" those accounts you can all together initiate a framily plan. But before doing anything drastic, confirm it with Sprint yourself. I personally found the reps from chat more knowledgeable than the reps on the phone. Plus you have something in writing to back it up.

Offline rachel

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2014, 04:04:55 PM »
I am interested to join how can reach you?

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2014, 04:06:34 PM »
I am interested to join how can reach you?
You can send me a PM :)

Offline yitzy1

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 20, 2014, 09:11:36 AM »
I'm still not sure why all r u trying to switch to this garbage sprint thing while t-moble offers to pay off ur current contract when switching to t-moble besides for a million other things that they offer

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 20, 2014, 09:34:33 AM »
I'm still not sure why all r u trying to switch to this garbage sprint thing while t-moble offers to pay off ur current contract when switching to t-moble besides for a million other things that they offer

They have a $25 unlimited plan with 1gb of internet?

Also some people have Sprint phones already.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #177 on: March 20, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »

That (for me at least)

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 20, 2014, 12:40:21 PM »

Because:
1) This isn't garbage.
2) Sprint has better service in most areas than T-mobile (and roaming agreements with big red)
3) Old Sprint phones are plentiful (and don't have the same resale value as GSM phones, so they can even be cheaper on occasion)
4) Sprint + Google Voice integration = WIN. They are the only ones who let your use your mobile # as your GV #
5) Personal reasons (I left T-mobile years ago after having them for nearly 4 years- been much happier on Sprint)
6) All contracts are going the way of the Floppy disk. This Sprint plan also is contract free. T-mobile sees the writing on the wall, and realizes that if they buy out people's contracts now, they can convince you to switch to them before you get enticed into another carrier's similar plan (which may even be better but not enough that you'd actually bother switching). There's nothing revolutionary about this IMO, its a bold move for sure, but also a desperate one to me.
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline yitzy1

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 20, 2014, 04:24:09 PM »
They have a $25 unlimited plan with 1gb of internet?

so just to make things clear I looked up for sprint and T-moble & these are the plans side by side

T mobile                 
500 mb line 1 $50
Line 2 $30
Every line after $10     

For 2.5 gb line 1 $60
Line 2 $40
Every line after $20

Truly Unlimited 4g LTE no throttling
Line 1 $70
Line 2 $50
Every line after $30

Sprint first line $55 2nd $50 3rd $45 4th $40 5th $35 6th $30 7th & on $25 & to add another 3gb is extra $10 per line & for unlimited is extra $20 per line so clearly even if ur getting to ur 7th phone on sprint to have $25 on that line, still cheaper t-moble 2.5 gb a month and for the 500 megabite its 10 per extra phone