Author Topic: Master Thread: Getting To Israel Using AMEX Membership Rewards Points  (Read 50376 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Master Thread: Getting To Israel Using AMEX Membership Rewards Points
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 02:48:48 AM »
ANA will be less miles but will only be worthwhile if you are able to find availability on CO or US.
Otherwise CO gives you many many more flight options without fuel surcharges and allows for free date, route, and airline changes.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Jay the PRESIDENT

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 08:36:17 PM »
is there possibility of more availability on *alliance than what comes up on CO site?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 08:43:36 PM »
is there possibility of more availability on *alliance than what comes up on CO site?
More like a probability.  The site is far from exhaustive.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yaakov

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 01:38:49 PM »
whats the deal with the swiss airline voucher. would it work to tlv, does it charge taxes, and what is the availability

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 01:01:52 AM »
How does one check skyteam availability? I'd love to get a delta flight direct from jfk through alitalia at 50K a ticket. Delta shows plenty of availability but at much higher mileage than their low of 80 (I think it was 130). Also what would the fees be like for such a ticket?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 01:03:37 AM »
How does one check skyteam availability? I'd love to get a delta flight direct from jfk through alitalia at 50K a ticket. Delta shows plenty of availability but at much higher mileage than their low of 80 (I think it was 130). Also what would the fees be like for such a ticket?
Try airfrance.com

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »
Doesn't let me search anything but flyingblue flights (klm/air france).

Offline jack12

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum
If someone has 100k amex points and they can be sold roughly for $1600, then wouldn't it be better to sell the points and buy a ticket to israel from a travel agent? Many times of the year you can get a flight to Israel for a few hundred dollars less then $1600. Am I wrong? Are there advantages to using the points to book a flight that outweigh the few hundred dollars you can save by selling the points?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
If someone has 100k amex points and they can be sold roughly for $1600, then wouldn't it be better to sell the points and buy a ticket to israel from a travel agent? Many times of the year you can get a flight to Israel for a few hundred dollars less then $1600. Am I wrong? Are there advantages to using the points to book a flight that outweigh the few hundred dollars you can save by selling the points?
100K AMEX can be more than enough for a business ticket worth $$$$$

Offline moshiach1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Plus hundreds of dollars in fuel surcharges.

Either find a way to trade for AA miles or Starpoints to fly on El Al without surcharges or stick with another airline to Israel.
can anyone please explain how to fly el al w/o fuel surcharges?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You quoted it.
Use AA miles.

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Book through AA.

Offline seifer

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Looking to go to from jfk to prague to israel and back to jfk this summer. Delta wants 150k miles (obscene!).  I think the full fare non-refundable ticket with the connections is 1500. With the 50% amex points transfer promo, this would cost me 100k points per ticket and I need 4 tickets (400k points).  Is this considered a good deal?  Am I better off just buying the tickets outright and saving the 400k points? 

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
Looking to go to from jfk to prague to israel and back to jfk this summer. Delta wants 150k miles (obscene!).  I think the full fare non-refundable ticket with the connections is 1500. With the 50% amex points transfer promo, this would cost me 100k points per ticket and I need 4 tickets (400k points).  Is this considered a good deal?  Am I better off just buying the tickets outright and saving the 400k points?
Bad deal. 100K Amex points could be worth more than $1500. and you also have to pay $100 for the transfer, plus you lose the mileage earning by flying delta.
But first search Air france they usually have to Israel for 100,000 points, but they charge fuel surcharges, so what you should do is call up delta saying that you found that price with Air france, and you want to book it with delta miles.
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline Yungerman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Bad deal. 100K Amex points could be worth more than $1500.

They could even be worth close to $4000; the cash value of a Continental BusinessFirst flight to EY(depending on season). All you need is 90K miles transfered to ANA.

Offline seifer

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
thanks
So you suggest I pay the $1550 per ticket now and hold on for later?

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
They could even be worth close to $4000; the cash value of a Continental BusinessFirst flight to EY(depending on season). All you need is 90K miles transfered to ANA.

I'm missing something here: if your advising him to fly continental, why do you suggest transferring to ANA?

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
Re: Israel with Amex Membership Reward Points
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2011, 10:08:57 AM »
This must be one of the most common questions out there, maybe this will settle it once and for all?
If I'm missing any good AMEX transfer methods or if there any mistakes let me know!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Star Alliance:
Using ANA miles
-If there is availability on Continental or USAirways for your dates: Transfer 60,000 points per ticket to ANA for coach or 90,000 points per ticket for business.  If you redeem ANA miles to go to Israel on airlines besides for Continental or USAirways you will be hit with fuel surcharges.

Using Continental miles
-If there is Star Alliance availability besides for Continental and USAirways, transfer 75,000 points per ticket to Continental for coach or 115,000 points for business.  Continental never charges fuel surcharges.  Continental also gives its own elite members expanded award availability for travel on Continental.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OneWorld:
Using BA miles
-If there is OneWorld availability, transfer 65,000 points per ticket to BA for coach or 130,000 points per ticket for business, plus expect to pay additional fuel surcharges if your travel includes flying on BA.  There won't be fuel surcharges if you only travel on partner airlines.
Skyteam:
Using Alitalia miles
-If there is Skyteam availability transfer 50,000 points per ticket to Alitalia for coach or 80,000 points per ticket for business, plus expect to pay fuel surcharges.

Using Flying Blue miles
-If there is a promo award available on Flying Blue for your dates and you're ready to work hard to get them to honor it and cut through red tape: Transfer 25,000 points to Flying Blue per ticket for coach or 50,000 points per ticket for business, plus expect to pay fuel surcharges.

Using Delta miles
-You can also transfer to Delta Skypesos to avoid fuel surcharges for travel originating in the US (Delta charges fuel surcharges for travel originating outside of the US), but their mileage rates are variable.  Coach can be between 80,000 and 190,000 and business can be between 120,000 and 370,000.
Other:
Using El Al miles
-If there is El Al availability transfer 98,000 points per ticket to El Al for coach or 210,000 points per ticket for business, plus expect to pay fuel surcharges.

What's the rate for first class?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:28:54 AM by Nitantnel »

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2011, 03:55:06 PM »
What's the rate for first class?

Your FC options are limited as AA doesn't book F awards on El Al and CO offers BF which is a J award. LY or BA will charge you expensive YQ.

What metal F are you looking to fly?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2011, 04:07:18 PM »
Your FC options are limited as AA doesn't book F awards on El Al and CO offers BF which is a J award. LY or BA will charge you expensive YQ.

What metal F are you looking to fly?
Any. I have BA, MR and AA points. BA, like you said, is darn expensive: 190K +$600 in FS! So anything that is first and cheaper than that. (I promised my father a FC ticket thinking it is only 130K, I didn't realize that 130 is for business and not for first - so that's my dilemma.