Poll

Do you shake hands with the opposite gender at work?

Yes, and I work in an environment where shaking hands is "a must".
19 (17.1%)
No, and I work in an environment where shaking hands is "a must".
21 (18.9%)
Yes, and I don't work in an environment where shaking hands is "a must"
19 (17.1%)
No, and I don't work in an environment where shaking hands is "a must"
44 (39.6%)
I wear a ring, and I like to take it off and spin it on my desk.
8 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Author Topic: Married men wear a ring to the office?  (Read 80057 times)

Offline mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Married men wear a ring to the office?
« Reply #480 on: January 17, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
Regarding secular education can the chabad guy here clarify what was the rabbis take on this?

I recently heard that he did not allow secular studies in CH, it shocking to me as it not apparent on he constituents.

Offline efflpetzel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 17, 2014, 11:25:39 AM »
I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I tried keeping myself civil all along the back and forth, but I just had to call a spade a spade, you can't advocate pluralism, "understanding that there's another side" when you yourself don't practice what you preach and hold different groups of people in lower regard just because they don't see it the way you do. Tolerating the intolerant can only go so far.
100% right

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 17, 2014, 11:26:20 AM »
Happy to have everyone here!

I wasn't complaining about it; just surprised.

Offline Moishel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 17, 2014, 11:29:31 AM »
Not sure how you can decide whether Meshug is the norm or not (just rad that and realized it sounds kinda funny ;D ). The OU, a MO Hechsher is one of the most reliable Hechsherim out there. Some people have highter standards for Cholov Yisroel, Bishul Yisroel etc. does that mean we look down on the OU? It just means we don't rely on certain Heterim which are perfectly acceptable to others, each one at his level...

I've done numerous studies on the matter, studied Hasidic anthropology, my dissertation was on the subject of how Ultra's consider their modern counterparts... What do you think? I'm one of them, I'm just a regular Williamsburg chasid with long payos and all, and I know my friends, I know my community. Sure, there are plenty of us that are more open minded, like you for instance, but unfortunately we are not the majority.

Regarding hechsherim, it's just one example, and we can argue about that, it's not only that the OU uses heteirim, there are some people who would eat anything with a "Heimishe" (read: Hebrew lettering) hechsher, even if they knew nothing about said hechsher, but wouldn't touch OU with a ten stick pole, or eat out of an MO's kitchen.

Just ask your typical ultra what he thinks about MO's tznius standards, for example, "they know they're wrong, they just don't care about halacha"...

OK, it's getting late, work aint gonna do itself.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:36:39 AM by Moishel »

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #484 on: January 17, 2014, 11:31:06 AM »
Regarding secular education can the chabad guy here clarify what was the rabbis take on this?

I recently heard that he did not allow secular studies in CH, it shocking to me as it not apparent on he constituents.
That is true, The Rebbe was not for giving Chabad children a secular education, and most schools geared at Chabad children do not offer Limudey Chol. The fact that "it's not apparent on his constituents" is proof to his Shitah that these things can easily be made up later in life if needed.

Offline Menachem613

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Married men wear a ring to the office?
« Reply #485 on: January 17, 2014, 11:32:19 AM »
I've done numerous studies on the matter, studied Hasidic anthropology, my dissertation was on the subject of how Ultra's consider their modern counterparts... What do you think? I'm one of them, I'm just a regular Williamsburg chasid with long payos and all, and I know my friends, I know my community. Sure, there are plenty of us that are more open minded, like you for instance, but unfortunately, we are not the majority.

Regarding hechsherim, it's just one example, and we can argue about that, it's not that the OU uses heteirim, some people who would eat anything with a "Heimishe" (read: hebrew lettering) hechsher, even if they know nothing about said hechsher, wouldn't touch OU with a ten stick pole, or eat out of an MO's kitchen.

Just ask your typical ultra what he thinks about MO's tznius standards, for example, "they know they're wrong, they just don't care about halacha"...

I would love to read your work. I assume you are familiar with Rupture and Reconstruction which is tangentially related.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #486 on: January 17, 2014, 11:34:28 AM »
I've done numerous studies on the matter, studied Hasidic anthropology, my dissertation was on the subject of how Ultra's consider their modern counterparts... What do you think? I'm one of them, I'm just a regular Williamsburg chasid with long payos and all, and I know my friends, I know my community. Sure, there are plenty of us that are more open minded, like you for instance, but unfortunately, we are not the majority.

Regarding hechsherim, it's just one example, and we can argue about that, it's not that the OU uses heteirim, some people who would eat anything with a "Heimishe" (read: hebrew lettering) hechsher, even if they know nothing about said hechsher, wouldn't touch OU with a ten stick pole, or eat out of an MO's kitchen.

That's why you can't paint all the "ultra" with one paintbrush, that may be the situation in Williamsburg, I wouldn't know I didn't grow up there. In the circles I grew up in that was not the attitude. The only reason CERTAIN OU products didn't come into our house was for Cholov/Bishul Yisroel issues.

Offline Ches

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 17, 2014, 11:36:52 AM »
That's why you can't paint all the "ultra" with one paintbrush, that may be the situation in Williamsburg, I wouldn't know I didn't grow up there. In the circles I grew up in that was not the attitude. The only reason CERTAIN OU products didn't come into our house was for Cholov/Bishul Yisroel issues.
Are you familiar with the gelatin issue?

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 17, 2014, 11:38:25 AM »
I would love to read your work. I assume you are familiar with Rupture and Reconstruction which is tangentially related.
I was being sarcastic, was in response to what Achas Veachas asked "Not sure how you can decide whether Meshug is the norm or not".

Offline efflpetzel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 17, 2014, 11:39:43 AM »
I've done numerous studies on the matter, studied Hasidic anthropology, my dissertation was on the subject of how Ultra's consider their modern counterparts... What do you think? I'm one of them, I'm just a regular Williamsburg chasid with long payos and all, and I know my friends, I know my community. Sure, there are plenty of us that are more open minded, like you for instance, but unfortunately we are not the majority.

Regarding hechsherim, it's just one example, and we can argue about that, it's not only that the OU uses heteirim, there are some people who would eat anything with a "Heimishe" (read: Hebrew lettering) hechsher, even if they knew nothing about said hechsher, but wouldn't touch OU with a ten stick pole, or eat out of an MO's kitchen.

we should have a chassidishe DO ;D

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 17, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
Isn't Williamsburg the epicenter of Orthodox Judaism? kidding. No, I'm not painting them all with one paintbrush, and I'm not referring only to Williamsburg, (I have left the gettoon occasion, you know). I was just saying that the opinions spewed by a certain chasid on this thread can not be chucked away as being that of just one opinionated guy, there are thousands who think like him.

we should have a chassidishe DO ;D
Most deff! We had one by the BP DDS.

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 17, 2014, 11:47:14 AM »
That is true, The Rebbe was not for giving Chabad children a secular education, and most schools geared at Chabad children do not offer Limudey Chol. The fact that "it's not apparent on his constituents" is proof to his Shitah that these things can easily be made up later in life if needed.

Its so hard to understand 

All these guys I see with a grate english actually did not have Limudey Chol in school.

Are there adult english classes in CH? (I'll want to join!)

What is the percent of the guys with a degree in chabad circles?

Offline LA2NYC

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 17, 2014, 11:50:42 AM »

All these guys I see with a grate english actually did not have Limudey Chol in school.

Vehamayvin yavin....

Offline shlaros228

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 17, 2014, 11:51:08 AM »
Question, do the charaidim in the room think its ok to oppose secular education, including college, then collect tzedaka from the people who earn more because they went to college?

Offline Ches

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 17, 2014, 11:53:17 AM »
Question, do the charaidim in the room think its ok to oppose secular education, including college, then collect tzedaka from the people who earn more because they went to college?
Am i aloud to disagree with that quote?

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: January 17, 2014, 11:54:03 AM »

The English they get from home, where English is the spoken language in most Chabad homes. But when it comes to collage, they have a hard time just like their chasidic brethren. (Chabad is not REALLY chasidic, you knew that, right? ;))

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 17, 2014, 11:55:14 AM »
Question, do the charaidim in the room think its ok to oppose secular education...
You can stop right there, I for one think it's not OK.

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 17, 2014, 11:56:48 AM »
The English they get from home, where English is the spoken language in most Chabad homes. But when it comes to collage, they have a hard time just like their chasidic brethren. (Chabad is not REALLY chasidic, you knew that, right? ;))

We need a separate thread to define the word chasidic.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 17, 2014, 11:56:53 AM »
You can stop right there, I for one think it's not OK.
What do you care?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 17, 2014, 12:00:10 PM »
It's my community, my brothers, why should I not care?