Author Topic: Posting on old threads  (Read 1954 times)

Offline MoGro17

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Posting on old threads
« on: January 16, 2014, 04:43:32 PM »
One of the forumfolk PMed me and said "Please stop posting on old posts that are dead if you aren't adding something new to the discussion".

Because I feel that this is a very serious issue, I decided that maybe the rest of the forumfolk can chime in with their opinions on the matter.

Let it rip, people!

Offline chucksterace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
Re: Posting on old threads
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 05:07:52 PM »
Well if you aren't adding something new to it then I agree. There is no reason to bring up a old thread without new useful information. Let the thread die in peace.

Now if you are adding something worthwhile then by all means yes. But if you are just writing because your bored, then let it die.

#my2cents
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline HP58

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 06:56:05 PM »
Now if you are adding something worthwhile then by all means yes.
+1 Definitely better than opening a new thread...

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:05:39 PM »
Because I feel that this is a very serious issue
If this is a very serious issue for you I sure wish I lived your life. Most people worry about financial problems, kids, emotions, school, work, health, insurance etc. But if this is something very serious in your life I guess it means you are good on all those fronts.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline HP58

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 07:09:01 PM »
If this is a very serious issue for you I sure wish I lived your life. Most people worry about financial problems, kids, emotions, school, work, health, insurance etc. But if this is something very serious in your life I guess it means you are good on all those fronts.
LOL!

Offline AnonymousUser

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 08:55:58 PM »
One of the forumfolk PMed me and said "Please stop posting on old posts that are dead if you aren't adding something new to the discussion".

Because I feel that this is a very serious issue, I decided that maybe the rest of the forumfolk can chime in with their opinions on the matter.

Let it rip, people!
Why did you start a new thread? I'm sure you could have found an old one to post your question in. ;)

Offline Hirshthg

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
    • Zev Goldstein Esq. New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 09:32:45 PM »
Why did you start a new thread? I'm sure you could have found an old one to post your question in. ;)
+1
The other issue is that no one can be expected to read through a posts from over a week age or to search for it!
On another note when you have 10 people saying the same thing they use different words which makes the search more effective.
If we did lock a thread how would we know if the addition would be helpful or not?

Offline MoGro17

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 10:04:14 PM »
I was being sarcastic  ;) ;)
Mostly to take a shot at the DDFer who felt it was so important to stand up for the forum's honor and protect it from trolls like me.

Offline MoGro17

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 10:04:44 PM »
LOL  ;)
+1

Offline AnonymousUser

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 10:28:45 PM »
Something else to keep in mind, every time someone revives an old thread, you then have someone else replying to a question several posts above, and then the next person informing him that he just replied to a post which is X years old.